98 Formula
    06 duramax

banging against under body

got on the car for the first time in about 6 months the other day. When it wheel hopped it sounded like something banging against the underbody of the car. I put it up on stands this morning to see if I can chase down what's banging. I can lift the rear section of the exhaust up until it bangs against the hangers but it sounded to me like this was on the passenger side. Any ideas what else to look at?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    got on the car for the first time in about 6 months the other day. When it wheel hopped it sounded like something banging against the underbody of the car. I put it up on stands this morning to see if I can chase down what's banging. I can lift the rear section of the exhaust up until it bangs against the hangers but it sounded to me like this was on the passenger side. Any ideas what else to look at?
    Which car the T/A? If so I think you had you hands on the problem. You may be getting tunel rap from the srait pipe.. The stock rear hangers let the exhaust move around alot..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

na...gto. It exits on the drivers side.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

na...gto. It exits on the drivers side.
    Gotcha my bad..

hugger orange

are you still running the stock rear subframe bushings?
    its a common problem for the stock (thin piece of soft rubber) to let the subframe slam the body making a loud bang when taking off hard or tromping on it at slow roll.
    the poly bushings take care of it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    are you still running the stock rear subframe bushings?
    its a common problem for the stock (thin piece of soft rubber) to let the subframe slam the body making a loud bang when taking off hard or tromping on it at slow roll.
    the poly bushings take care of it
    after doing some searches this looks like it's my problem. I'm selling the car so I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do. I would probably buy the bushings for the next owner though. Where are those bushings at on the car? Are they above the rear diff.?

hugger orange

after doing some searches this looks like it's my problem. I'm selling the car so I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do. I would probably buy the bushings for the next owner though. Where are those bushings at on the car? Are they above the rear diff.?
    one small shoe horn shaped one over the diff and 1 on each side infront of the rear wheel (3 bolt plate and a large long bolt in the center), just inside of the pinch weld.
    it only took me about a hour to do all three with a floor jack and 2 jack stands

98 Formula
    06 duramax

got a link to the bushings?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hugger orange

I went with the Energy Suspension bushings.
    these things are as big as our engine mounts lol

98 Formula
    06 duramax

now my damn lock actuator is messing up again. Maybe the car is pissed at me for trying to sell it. I found the actuator at gmpartsdirect for $100 which is the cheapest place I've found so far. I need to email them though and verify the part number because their site lists the part number as a key fob or some shit. I already had that fixed under warranty a couple of years ago. The really funny part is I maybe lock my doors once a month....it never gets used.

hugger orange

its Murrphy's law in full effect lol

I just left Ohio on the turn pike......Orion please keep that sleet and snow in your state

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

now my damn lock actuator is messing up again. Maybe the car is pissed at me for trying to sell it. I found the actuator at gmpartsdirect for $100 which is the cheapest place I've found so far. I need to email them though and verify the part number because their site lists the part number as a key fob or some shit. I already had that fixed under warranty a couple of years ago. The really funny part is I maybe lock my doors once a month....it never gets used.
    Is this the PN your getting?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Is this the PN your getting?

yep...that's the new part number.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

yep...that's the new part number.
    Good deal, Just making sure you had the new one

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Hey,pm me I have a few of those laying around,I find them they are yours!
    Last edited by qwkgto; 12-15-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

I've got two of them sitting here to put in. Got mine fom GMPartsHouse. I paid $125 for them. The GM part number is 90493702 ... at least for the 04

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    I've got two of them sitting here to put in. Got mine fom GMPartsHouse. I paid $125 for them. The GM part number is 90493702 ... at least for the 04
    yeah, that's the right part number. It's just an updated actuator. The 05-06 got the newer style factory so that's why they don't have as many issues with them as we do but it's just a shitty design in general....the whole door locking design is terrible. I would have to see if I still have the paper work from when mine was done under warranty but it's only been ~2 years ago if that and I rarely ever lock my doors so that should tell you how crappy that design is.

hugger orange

yeah, that's the right part number. It's just an updated actuator. The 05-06 got the newer style factory so that's why they don't have as many issues with them as we do but it's just a shitty design in general....the whole door locking design is terrible. I would have to see if I still have the paper work from when mine was done under warranty but it's only been ~2 years ago if that and I rarely ever lock my doors so that should tell you how crappy that design is.
    I haven't had this problem.....yet.
    mine has the newer style head bolts, so I wonder ig they changed over mid 04 and I got lucky and got the new style acuators too

Thread Information