Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 122

auto vs manual

This is a discussion on auto vs manual within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman Way to start the arguement up again. Thats not an accurate statement. A properly setup manual ...

  1. #101
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Way to start the arguement up again.

    Thats not an accurate statement. A properly setup manual with a skilled driver can kick the shit out of many an auto. A stalled auto is not invincible.

    Think about it:

    2 otherwise identical cars, both with 4.10 gears, the auto with a built transmission and a stall, the manual with a racing clutch and built T56.

    The automatic is always going to lose more power through the drivetrain. Therefore it has the disadvantage, all other things being equal. A T56 with 4.10's will never fall off the powerband, just as a stalled 4L60 won't fall off the powerband. Difference is the manual stays in the powerband because the gear ratios are close together, the auto stays in the powerband because the converter allows slippage. Slippage equals wasted power.

    With a skilled driver, a built M6 will beat a stalled auto every time.

    that's why I've beaten on every M6 that wanted to race me, even with having a bit less power than them in some ocassions.

  2. #102
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post

    that's why I've beaten on every M6 that wanted to race me, even with having a bit less power than them in some ocassions.
    im gonna beat you d.j. and overheat your tranny!!!!!!!

    but seriously.....


  3. #103
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863
    noice

  4. #104
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post

    that's why I've beaten on every M6 that wanted to race me, even with having a bit less power than them in some ocassions.
    Thats because most M6 drivers can't shift as fast as an auto.

    Find a good driver and you will be beat.

  5. #105
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863
    we're not talking about the driver's skill, it's the tranny auto vs manual. auto stalled and built up right walks all over M6

  6. #106
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Thats because most M6 drivers can't shift as fast as an auto.

    Find a good driver and you will be beat.
    Think about what you just said and get back to me.

  7. #107
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Think about what you just said and get back to me.
    he he he...

    im still confused by this thread. i used to have an opinion a few pages back, but i have lost all hope and common sense...

    lets all get together and race for pinks...i'll get rich on the phone, he's going to ride out on his motorcycle to save this thread.

  8. #108
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863
    I'm down for racing, Denton TX - Northstar 1/8mi next week?

  9. #109
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I'm down for racing, Denton TX - Northstar 1/8mi next week?
    i'll just fly in on my gulfstream....

    texas....you lucky bastards!

  10. #110
    car enthusiast djvaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philly area
    Posts
    9,863

  11. #111
    still havnt found a decent answer

  12. #112
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
    still havnt found a decent answer
    the answer is personal preference. the question is potentially hazardous....

  13. #113
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2004 GTO



    I bought my car with an M6 because I like the driving experience. If it was a DD, I'd get an auto. What are you going to do with your car? If you're taking it to the drags, get an auto. Roadrace, get the manual (debatable).
    There's pro's and con's to each, get what you like and be happy with it.

  14. #114
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 99hoss View Post
    Manuals impress high school kids...Automatics win races.
    haha that's right. i must mention im a 17 year old in college, but i raced some kid from a local highschool in an 06 mustang gt(manual) and he thought he was it all and he thought he was cool. with the manual transmission. when i raced him from a roll he had a slight advantage on me, but when we went from a dead stop i walked on his ford bones. we were even aside from shifts and every shift gave me a big edge on him. i ended up beating him by a car length just up to 80mph

  15. #115
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Good man.

  16. #116
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    haha that's right. i must mention im a 17 year old in college, but i raced some kid from a local highschool in an 06 mustang gt(manual) and he thought he was it all and he thought he was cool. with the manual transmission. when i raced him from a roll he had a slight advantage on me, but when we went from a dead stop i walked on his ford bones. we were even aside from shifts and every shift gave me a big edge on him. i ended up beating him by a car length just up to 80mph
    There are too many factors to consider as to why you beat him. Its not just because he had a manual and you had an auto, thats absurd.

    Its this simple: If you take two otherwise identical stock cars, equip one with a manual and one with a stock automatic, the manual will be faster. Every time. Manuals put more power to the ground, have no slippage due to a torque converter, and generally have closer/shorter gear ratios. Look at any brand new car 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, the manual is faster 99% of the time.

    Obviously once you start modding, or if you put a stall/shift kit in the auto, all that can change. But stock for stock, manual wins. No bone stock automatic LS1 F-body has ever pulled a 12.9, which has been well documented in a 1LE M6 LS1.

  17. #117
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    There are too many factors to consider as to why you beat him. Its not just because he had a manual and you had an auto, thats absurd.

    Its this simple: If you take two otherwise identical stock cars, equip one with a manual and one with a stock automatic, the manual will be faster. Every time. Manuals put more power to the ground, have no slippage due to a torque converter, and generally have closer/shorter gear ratios. Look at any brand new car 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, the manual is faster 99% of the time.

    Obviously once you start modding, or if you put a stall/shift kit in the auto, all that can change. But stock for stock, manual wins. No bone stock automatic LS1 F-body has ever pulled a 12.9, which has been well documented in a 1LE M6 LS1.
    well at the time my car was completely stock and it still has a stock transmission in it. the main thing that gave me an edge was he had only been driving with a manual for 6 months and had nowhere near the experience with a manual to be able to beat an automatic in the speed of shifts.

  18. #118
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    There are too many factors to consider as to why you beat him. Its not just because he had a manual and you had an auto, thats absurd.

    Its this simple: If you take two otherwise identical stock cars, equip one with a manual and one with a stock automatic, the manual will be faster. Every time. Manuals put more power to the ground, have no slippage due to a torque converter, and generally have closer/shorter gear ratios. Look at any brand new car 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, the manual is faster 99% of the time.

    Obviously once you start modding, or if you put a stall/shift kit in the auto, all that can change. But stock for stock, manual wins. No bone stock automatic LS1 F-body has ever pulled a 12.9, which has been well documented in a 1LE M6 LS1.
    Right and Wrong. If you had two identical cars...put a M6 in one and a A4 in the other....Stock the M6 would beat the A4 based on nothing more than a few extra ponies and being able to keep the M6 engine in the power band....but for peanuts you put a decent stall in the A4 and tune the shift points and firmness....guess what...for those pennies the A4 now walks the M6. Because the A4 is now kept in the power band...and shifts much quicker than the M6.

  19. #119
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    hixson tennessee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,642

    white
    94 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Right and Wrong. If you had two identical cars...put a M6 in one and a A4 in the other....Stock the M6 would beat the A4 based on nothing more than a few extra ponies and being able to keep the M6 engine in the power band....but for peanuts you put a decent stall in the A4 and tune the shift points and firmness....guess what...for those pennies the A4 now walks the M6. Because the A4 is now kept in the power band...and shifts much quicker than the M6.
    that is very well put

  20. #120
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Right and Wrong. If you had two identical cars...put a M6 in one and a A4 in the other....Stock the M6 would beat the A4 based on nothing more than a few extra ponies and being able to keep the M6 engine in the power band....but for peanuts you put a decent stall in the A4 and tune the shift points and firmness....guess what...for those pennies the A4 now walks the M6. Because the A4 is now kept in the power band...and shifts much quicker than the M6.
    Well if you read my post again...thats pretty much exactly what I said. Once you start modding, everything can change. But stock for stock the manual wins every time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: auto to manual 6
    By miguelr1988 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  2. Help: auto to manual!!!!
    By slickred004 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
  3. Question: auto, or manual shift auto?
    By mark21742 in forum GTO
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
  4. Manual vs Auto
    By M-Ten in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 07:21 AM
  5. Auto/Manual
    By Arrison24 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 08:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •