Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

auto vs manual

This is a discussion on auto vs manual within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Wesman Way to start the arguement up again. Thats not an accurate statement. A properly setup manual ...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Way to start the arguement up again.

Thats not an accurate statement. A properly setup manual with a skilled driver can kick the shit out of many an auto. A stalled auto is not invincible.

Think about it:

2 otherwise identical cars, both with 4.10 gears, the auto with a built transmission and a stall, the manual with a racing clutch and built T56.

The automatic is always going to lose more power through the drivetrain. Therefore it has the disadvantage, all other things being equal. A T56 with 4.10's will never fall off the powerband, just as a stalled 4L60 won't fall off the powerband. Difference is the manual stays in the powerband because the gear ratios are close together, the auto stays in the powerband because the converter allows slippage. Slippage equals wasted power.

With a skilled driver, a built M6 will beat a stalled auto every time.

that's why I've beaten on every M6 that wanted to race me, even with having a bit less power than them in some ocassions.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post

that's why I've beaten on every M6 that wanted to race me, even with having a bit less power than them in some ocassions.
    im gonna beat you d.j. and overheat your tranny!!!!!!!

but seriously.....

noice

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thats because most M6 drivers can't shift as fast as an auto.

Find a good driver and you will be beat.

we're not talking about the driver's skill, it's the tranny auto vs manual. auto stalled and built up right walks all over M6

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thats because most M6 drivers can't shift as fast as an auto.

Find a good driver and you will be beat.
    Think about what you just said and get back to me.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Think about what you just said and get back to me.
    he he he...

im still confused by this thread. i used to have an opinion a few pages back, but i have lost all hope and common sense...

lets all get together and race for pinks...i'll get rich on the phone, he's going to ride out on his motorcycle to save this thread.

I'm down for racing, Denton TX - Northstar 1/8mi next week?

Pewter
    2000 z28

I'm down for racing, Denton TX - Northstar 1/8mi next week?
    i'll just fly in on my gulfstream....

texas....you lucky bastards!

still havnt found a decent answer

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by musclecarguy View Post
    still havnt found a decent answer
    the answer is personal preference. the question is potentially hazardous....

Black
    2004 GTO

I bought my car with an M6 because I like the driving experience. If it was a DD, I'd get an auto. What are you going to do with your car? If you're taking it to the drags, get an auto. Roadrace, get the manual (debatable).
    There's pro's and con's to each, get what you like and be happy with it.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 99hoss View Post
    Manuals impress high school kids...Automatics win races.
    haha that's right. i must mention im a 17 year old in college, but i raced some kid from a local highschool in an 06 mustang gt(manual) and he thought he was it all and he thought he was cool. with the manual transmission. when i raced him from a roll he had a slight advantage on me, but when we went from a dead stop i walked on his ford bones. we were even aside from shifts and every shift gave me a big edge on him. i ended up beating him by a car length just up to 80mph

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good man.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    haha that's right. i must mention im a 17 year old in college, but i raced some kid from a local highschool in an 06 mustang gt(manual) and he thought he was it all and he thought he was cool. with the manual transmission. when i raced him from a roll he had a slight advantage on me, but when we went from a dead stop i walked on his ford bones. we were even aside from shifts and every shift gave me a big edge on him. i ended up beating him by a car length just up to 80mph
    There are too many factors to consider as to why you beat him. Its not just because he had a manual and you had an auto, thats absurd.

Its this simple: If you take two otherwise identical stock cars, equip one with a manual and one with a stock automatic, the manual will be faster. Every time. Manuals put more power to the ground, have no slippage due to a torque converter, and generally have closer/shorter gear ratios. Look at any brand new car 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, the manual is faster 99% of the time.

Obviously once you start modding, or if you put a stall/shift kit in the auto, all that can change. But stock for stock, manual wins. No bone stock automatic LS1 F-body has ever pulled a 12.9, which has been well documented in a 1LE M6 LS1.

white
    94 camaro z28

There are too many factors to consider as to why you beat him. Its not just because he had a manual and you had an auto, thats absurd.

Its this simple: If you take two otherwise identical stock cars, equip one with a manual and one with a stock automatic, the manual will be faster. Every time. Manuals put more power to the ground, have no slippage due to a torque converter, and generally have closer/shorter gear ratios. Look at any brand new car 0-60 and 1/4 miles times, the manual is faster 99% of the time.

Obviously once you start modding, or if you put a stall/shift kit in the auto, all that can change. But stock for stock, manual wins. No bone stock automatic LS1 F-body has ever pulled a 12.9, which has been well documented in a 1LE M6 LS1.
    well at the time my car was completely stock and it still has a stock transmission in it. the main thing that gave me an edge was he had only been driving with a manual for 6 months and had nowhere near the experience with a manual to be able to beat an automatic in the speed of shifts.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Right and Wrong. If you had two identical cars...put a M6 in one and a A4 in the other....Stock the M6 would beat the A4 based on nothing more than a few extra ponies and being able to keep the M6 engine in the power band....but for peanuts you put a decent stall in the A4 and tune the shift points and firmness....guess what...for those pennies the A4 now walks the M6. Because the A4 is now kept in the power band...and shifts much quicker than the M6.

white
    94 camaro z28

Right and Wrong. If you had two identical cars...put a M6 in one and a A4 in the other....Stock the M6 would beat the A4 based on nothing more than a few extra ponies and being able to keep the M6 engine in the power band....but for peanuts you put a decent stall in the A4 and tune the shift points and firmness....guess what...for those pennies the A4 now walks the M6. Because the A4 is now kept in the power band...and shifts much quicker than the M6.
    that is very well put

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well if you read my post again...thats pretty much exactly what I said. Once you start modding, everything can change. But stock for stock the manual wins every time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information