Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another Problem

This is a discussion on Another Problem within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by pmolina0436 i dont know...im thinking the motor mounts so thate my next fix..i dont its that..but lets ...

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    i dont know...im thinking the motor mounts so thate my next fix..i dont its that..but lets see what happens
    Easy way to tell; put yourself a 3-4 foot prybar between the mount and crossmember and pry up and down, there should only be 1/4th of an inch or less of travel. If it's traveling more than that, it's bad and if it's traveling a lot more than that, that's more than likely what's making the noise.

Cammed Goat mentioned the carrier bushing on the rearend cover; I would listen to him and check that too. I know that would be a nasty thud noise if it were worn too.
    ----

12-17-2009 01:47 AM 0rion "you have too many n's in banana"

12-18-2009 04:57 PM Sarge "No I dont...we got more of everything in Texas....including "N's" bitch."

Blue
    2004 GTO

The mechanic is still at a loss and at this point cannot find the what is causing the problem. He too believes that the noise is coming from the differential. I used Mobil 1 synthetic and equa torque(manufactured CRC) friction mod. Is there that much of a difference between the GM products and what I used?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Never heard of Equa-Torque. I have used something called Trans-X by CRC. CRC is compatible with GM-specific diff fluids.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Another thing I heard about with our cars. The half-shaft bolts tend to back themself out of the inner axle stubs. If they weren't checked before, check them asap.

Black
    2004 GTO

ok so i was moving my car back and forth while off and in park and i can here a clicking sound from the rear..like just clicking as i moved it..so i dont think its motor mounts or anything like that..maybe diffrential problem ..

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Drivetrain slop. Sounds normal to me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's clicking under the initial movement of the car? Could be a u-joint issue.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Drivetrain slop. Sounds normal to me.
    normal?? i dont think so ..i can only hear it from one side..but i dont knw

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it's clicking under the initial movement of the car? Could be a u-joint issue.
    i move the car front...hear a click..then when the car moves back..it clicks again..i think i hear it closer to the tire area..maybe a bad axle?
    Last edited by pmolina0436; 08-02-2010 at 03:04 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pmolina0436 View Post
    i move the car front...hear a click..then when the car moves back..it clicks again..i think i hear it closer to the tire area..maybe a bad axle?
    cv joint maybe on that side

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    cv joint maybe on that side
    could that be the problem to thump at stops as well?

Blue
    2004 GTO

Alright, I got the car back from the mechanic and they said that they heard the noise but could not figure out what it was and recommend that I go see a shop that specializes in differentials. Taking one last ditch effort I decided to empty all of the friction modifier (5 ounces), instead of the recommended 1 ounce that it states in the manual, into the differential to see if that made a difference. Oddly enough it seems to have at this point eliminated the noise. I will post any further developments if the noise returns.

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Whatarush View Post
    Alright, I got the car back from the mechanic and they said that they heard the noise but could not figure out what it was and recommend that I go see a shop that specializes in differentials. Taking one last ditch effort I decided to empty all of the friction modifier (5 ounces), instead of the recommended 1 ounce that it states in the manual, into the differential to see if that made a difference. Oddly enough it seems to have at this point eliminated the noise. I will post any further developments if the noise returns.
    what oil did u use? where from?

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Whatarush View Post
    Sounds like the "Thunk in the trunk" problem. Google it. Your GTO may be eligible to be repaired for FREE if it was built before a certain VIN and this is the problem. Mine has been doing the same exact thing, I thought it was maybe the U joint or a bushing issue but I couldn't find anything wrong. I took it to a speed shop, and they said the differential is fine and the car is still making the noise. I am taking it by the local GM dealer after I get back from out of town and hopefully mine will get repaired for free. Take it by the dealership and ask them about the service bulletin at least, they may actually be able to help you. There's tons of threads about it on Tech and the GTO forum. Hope I was helpful, the noise is driving me nuts too so I feel your frustration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information