Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Almost about to pick up an 04 GTO M6 but....

So I went and test drove this GTO today. I pretty filtered my search down to the goat, a 350z, or an RX-8 (which i will get into later on).

I have to say i like the goat the most, there's just a few issues with the car that are holding me back from writing the check.
    When i was driving the steering wheel was vibrating like crazy until i got over 50mph and when i let go of the steering wheel it pulls alot to the left, which is leading me to believe one of the front rims is bent. I looked into the type of rims they are and found out theyre 3pc foose rims that run for $1000 each. I know I can make them fix it before i take the car but im wondering if these rims can even be fixed, i know not all rims can take a torching. They also are a little dinged up but not horribly. The dealership that the car was at has theyre showroom full of ferraris, lambos and others in the like. It makes me think those rims were on one of those cars until someone bashed em up and they figured just to throw them on GTO to make it look better (which it does very very well). Id hate to not buy a car because of rims, but it doesnt come with the stocks and i dont want to deal with the hassel of trying to get them fixed on my own.

I also have a question about shifting into reverse. It seem to be a little finicky when i try to go to reverse, like the car has to be at a dead stop on a flat surface or it wont let you get into it. I soon got used to it and eventually had no problem with it but im just wondering if this is normal with these cars and im just making a big deal about it or if its something i need to look into.

Other than those two things theres just some little stuff; glove box fell off when i unlatched it, graphics they put on the rear quarter is covering a considerable size chip by the gas door. Just some stuff i know i can use as leverage to get a deal. I know a car this age in this price range isnt going to be perfect.

If anyone could give me some tips, suggestions, answers, ect... That would be greatly appreciated

If youve got this far thanks. I know im going on and on but this car is going to be with me the next five years so i want to be sure im happy and that i made a good decision.

As far as the other two cars i tried. The 350z is nice and all but is horribly uncomfortable on the inside, and i can see myself getting very annoyed by it quickly regardless of its good performance overall.
    With the RX8 i was actually extremely impressed, its very comfortable and its a very unique driving experience. It seemed to handle everything i threw at it, with out a slip at all, and the 50/50 balance makes you feel like your really in control of every little bit of the car. Also the 9k redline definitly put a smile on my face. The only thing that kills me is that it has no balls in the low end department and is definitly slower than 350 and not even comparable to the GTO.

Overall im leaning more twards the GTO, It seems more like a car i could see myself in, the color is what im looking for and im not a small guy so i dont look too good in the 8. Also i know the GTO's are more reliable and have better gas mileage. My daily commute calls more for power than twisty turny stuff like the 8 is made for. I know if i got an 8 i wouldnt be using it for what it is made for.

I know if I have trouble with the dealership with the GTO as far as getting the issues fixed and a price alot better then the one posted, I have no problem jsut walking out and going straight to the mazda dealer to pick up the 8. It kind of sucks that there arent more GTO's around here for sale, it would definitly make my decision alot easier to make. But as it stands right now, i want the GTO more.

So that's it. What I'm looking for from you guys are opinions and suggestions. Im kinda hungup right now as far what my next move should be. I just need some more opinions.

Thanks

Nero
    2006 gto

Do it. DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

The problems you mentioned shouldnt deter you from this car. The wheel problem you should just bitch about till they fix it, and the graphics covering a chip, thats not too bad at all. Maaco the chip and throw the graphics back on, or away. The glove box falling off sounds kinda comical, but I can see how something like that would throw you off.

The 350Z is a decent car, but has NOTHING on the GTO in terms of interior comfort and style. The RX-8 is a nice car, but cmon, a tiny little rotary engine that gets worse mileage than our Goats can?? And ur definitely right, its got NO balls in the low end. I tested an RX-8, and didnt even look back at it once I got out. Went straight for the Goat.

Black
    2004 GTO A4

Fuck the ricers! They should have had a V8!

I have an 04 GTO and I love her like no other car! She drives much better than my 00 SS did and in my opinion looks better. I got mine for $16,999 with ~15K miles at a local Nissan dealership (too funny). The only issues she had was a wee bit of curb rash and the infamous front end shake that I am in the process of fixing. I would say that you need to talk them down to $17,000 or so and it is a no-brainer decision.

hugger orange

hey man, the question you have to ask yourself is are you ready to buy a car and replace the full set of wheels. You should be able to pickup a nice set for what you would pay for one foose wheel. personally didn't care for the factory wheels so after I bought my gto I got a full set of and tires, mounted and balanced for right at $1000. I love the car and it was definately worth it

Just saw a new EVO. I think im done now

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Quote Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
    Just saw a new EVO. I think im done now
    don't do it (Evo)

My 04 will hand Evo's and STI's they asses in a cup !
    (out of the hole, from a roll or top end)

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

The reverse problem is common in my experience. What I always do is to just put it in 1st gear then throw it into reverse and it goes just fine.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Quote Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24 View Post
    The reverse problem is common in my experience. What I always do is to just put it in 1st gear then throw it into reverse and it goes just fine.
    I never have that problem. Are you talking about the '99 SLP T/A ?
    If so I think Tremec made quite a few upgrades to the T-56 trans in the later years, the 04 to 06 GTO's are M-12 T-56 Tremecs from the ZO6 Vette of the same year as far as internals of the trans go.

Nero
    2006 gto

Dude, if you dont want the 8 because you'll be goin in straight lines, the Evo isnt gonna be any better. I was watchin Top Gear and the fat British guy took the GTO against an Evo on the track. Straight line, the GTO crushes the Evo because of the HUGE engine. Twistys, the Evo won it. Personally, I think you'll be much happier with a GTO. Plus, you were looking at 3 coupes, and now you want a sedan???

Awaiting Activation 5.7literMustangEater's Avatar

Torrid Red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by AUSI GTO View Post
    If so I think Tremec made quite a few upgrades to the T-56 trans in the later years, the 04 to 06 GTO's are M-12 T-56 Tremecs from the ZO6 Vette of the same year as far as internals of the trans go.
    AUSI I have that issue with my M12-T56 Tremec tranny in my GOAT. It never really phased me. I just do what he said, put it in first and then to reverse and it goes in just fine. I'm hoping that a fluid change may solve the problem, but if not I'm not too worried about it.

And dude, stay away from the rice!!!!! Get the GOAT. That EVO has nothing on the interior or the balls that the GOAT does. Yea they may look cool, but American muscle is the finest!!!!! There is no substitue for 8 cyclinders steadily rockin' you at idle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Quote Originally Posted by 5.7literMustangEater View Post
    AUSI I have that issue with my M12-T56 Tremec tranny in my GOAT. It never really phased me. I just do what he said, put it in first and then to reverse and it goes in just fine. I'm hoping that a fluid change may solve the problem, but if not I'm not too worried about it.
    I stand corrected, hopefully mine wont do it, but i do have synthetic fluid in it.

I realized that I want to buy new. I really dont want the hassel of a used car without warranty. If they still made the GTO then i would get one. I looked into a G8 GT but it's too big for me where i live.

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

Its not much bigger than a GTO, the g8 is awesome

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by AUSI GTO View Post
    Actually my Camaro is does not do it, but like you I have synthetic fluid. My GTO was horrible about it but it was completely stock.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO Maggie Blown

Maybe the Synthetic fluid is the key to nice shifts...........

Impounded

Atlantic Blue
    2005 Legacy GT Stage 2

If you want straight line, def get the GTO, turns the 350zs handle great, and i dont know what you didnt liek about the interior but the touring interior is so comfy. The new is evo is slower around the track and in a straight line compared to the evo 9.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
    I realized that I want to buy new. I really dont want the hassel of a used car without warranty. If they still made the GTO then i would get one. I looked into a G8 GT but it's too big for me where i live.
    You need to ask yourself what you want!! The cars you are asking us to compare are a orange and a couple apples.

Do you want a muscle car or not?

Also if you look there are still Many GTO's @ the various GM dealers that come with a warranty. Not sure how knowledgeable you are on the loss you take by purchasing a Brand new vehicle and driving off the lot but it isn't worth it in any view I have to instantly loss thousands just by driving off the lot.

And the reverse issue try putting it in 1 gear then reverse it will fall right in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Do yourself a favor and drive a 05 or 06 and you'll NEVER compare them to the turds you mentioned!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

White with Black Stripe
    1995 Trans Am

That black GTO is HOT looking

Only thing that worries me is the shaking. Get the dealer to fix that and then def get that car.

RX8s are comfortable and 350zs are nice but if youre looking for muscle and a very nice long distance cruiser def GTO is the way to go

hugger orange

I bought my 04 used with 12,000 miles on it in 05 and saved over $10,000 on it, plus more of the issues with the warrenty are taken care of and fixed with in the first year the car is driven... plus it always seemed that the other cars I owned, when I had a problem, it wasn't covered by the warrenty anyway

Quick Silver Metallic
    2004 GTO

I just picked up my 04 Goat Saturday. My friend here at school just got the brand new EVO 10 or X(whichever)... They are very fast. Don't get me wrong I've only had my goat for a few days and probably wouldn't trade it for a damn thing and I'm all about American but those ricers are FAST. Turbo spools like no other. Corbeau racing seats are comfortable too but probably not like our Goats. If you can afford to drop $40k on brand new one go for it but I would suggest a nice low mileage 06 even without driving one.

Thread Information