2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Aftermarket Shifter

Just trying to find out what kind of aftermarket shifter everyone is running. I do not like the way my stock shifter shifts. Please list what kind you have, does it shift better than stock, where you bought it, is it easy to install and pics would be great.
    2010 Camaro
    2006 GTO, LS2, 1 of 475
    2009 Chevy Silverado

rednari
    The best shifter for the money is the GMM. The Billet Products shifter is actually firmer and more durable but costs over $100 more. The BM shifter is OK, and can be bought for under $200.

Many people dislike the BM because of vibrations and they have been known to break off at the handle. But, the breakage is rare and is usually caused when some gorilla grenades the shifter and it breaks off in his hand. I have had both the BM and the GMM and can honestly tell you upgrading to the GMM from the BM was not worth the money. If you still have the stock shifter, then choose the GMM.

Keep in mind, both GMM and BM have vibration concerns because they are not detached shift mechanism designs. OEM and Billet shifters are detached designs, meaning the shifter lever mechanism is detached from the transmission shifter pawl which inturn directly enters the transmission. The shift lever being detached from the shifter pawl and attached to the shifter base housing, isolates vibs transmitted through the pawl to the shifter linkage and thereafter to the shifter handle.

If you are on a budget, there is nothing wrong with the BM shifter except more vibs. If you want no vibs and great performance, then you will have to pop for the Billet. Another budget option is the LSH (Lou's Short Shift) which costs about $80, and shortens the OEM shifter throws, which is the main reason for changing the OEM. I have no experience with it, but many people have liked it, and it is vibration free since it retains OEM pawl, linkage, and shifter base.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

where can i get the lou's short shifter stick?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    where can i get the lou's short shifter stick?
    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/lousshortstick1.html

Thread Information