Thread: A4 or M6

C5 Dreamin

A4 or M6

Well i just wanted to say hello to all of you Goat guys out there. I was orginally looking at a Vette but just was not satisfied with what i could get in my price range and the fact that the Vette is completely impractical for my use!!! I wanted to know if the A4 or M6 is a better choice in this car?(Goat) I have read that the A4 is faster but the M6 traps higher? The only bad thing i heard about the M6 is the gearbox is really sloppy, is this true? I am a performance purist and believe that all sports cars should be in M6 or M5, JMO....But please let me know from you all's experience which is better and why? I know these are all just opinions, but they do matter =). Thanks guys and gals!

Oh yea......I plan on getting the 2004 model

txcosmos
    The M6 gearbox is really sloppy. Check out Bluesupergoat's car, clean, modified 04, around 400 rwhp.

As far as the tranny, whatever works for you. The difference in performance will be minor, just whatever has to work for your type of driving and everyday use....

C5 Dreamin
    Does the short throw from B&M help at all? I dont plan on having more than 400-450rwhp.

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

If you're going to go with a short-throw at all, skip the B&M (unless you're willing to jump through hoops modifying the mounting bolts) and go for the GMM.

C5 Dreamin
    where could i pick one up at? What is there website

txcosmos
    Yeah, alot of problems with the B&M. Like Doric says, go with the GMM. I have an A4, Doric, post him a link, would ya?

surfgzr

A4 minus torque management

The A4, with a custom tune or Predator/RWTD tune to minus out torque management, boost the shift pressures and revs is a pretty sweet deal.

I know Speed Inc sells the GMM. www.ls1speed.com

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by txcosmos
    Yeah, alot of problems with the B&M. Like Doric says, go with the GMM. I have an A4, Doric, post him a link, would ya?
    Here's the most recent one that I've seen: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66324

txcosmos
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgzr
    The A4, with a custom tune or Predator/RWTD tune to minus out torque management, boost the shift pressures and revs is a pretty sweet deal.
    Yup, it suuuuure is....

Quicksilver
    2004 VZ Monaro

A4 with an edit is lethal. I have mine snapping sideways at 6800 1st to 2nd even with the traction left on. With it off it's smoke city.....

red
    2004 gto

You guys have forgotten the ABCs of performance. Which are as follows:
    a. an automatic transmission disipates 20-30 HP to the rear wheels
    depending on the type and make of car.
    b. on a Goat the factory linkage is sloppy and must be upgraded to
    a good aftermarket shifter. I use and like the B&M, and I am con-
    sidering the new Hurst.
    c. with a manual you have control over the correct gear to select for
    the time, corner, or distance involved (I do a lot of road racing).
    d. a manual helps you engine brake the car whenever you slow down
    and especially when downshifting into a curve.
    e. a manual allows a downshift at the entrance of a corner so you can
    power through the exit.
    The list goes on and on, but suffice it to say, no serious road race competitor would ever consider a transmission that would add 2-3 seconds or more to a lap time. In addition, my Goat is more fun to drive. It is driven only in the summer and I drive a six
    with an automatic to work and for errands. Practice with your GTO and you will not miss any gears. When driving a performance vehicle with an M6, you must concentrate on your driving and enjoy the experience. If you want a Granny car, then buy the automatic.

I will end this dicussion by stating that the next time your in Chicago and see a "tuff lookin" red 04 Goat with a determined attitude about it, it will probably be me.
    Then if you signal that you want to race, the only thing you'll see are my tailights and a 4" Corsa outlet play out a tune, as the car kicks and I gain two car lengths on you each time I catch a gear.

That's the way it was when driving my old '55, my '63, and my '65, and that's the way I drive 04 today. Getting back into performance after too many years of missing it. Ed

surfgzr
    Just a thought from a Senior Citizen; owning an A4 means the car has one less pedal to confuse you..

Thread Information