402 Stroker project

This is a discussion on 402 Stroker project within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So, there I was doing my burn out at Central Florida Race Track when all of a sudden I heard ...

Blue
    2005 Pontiac GTO

402 Stroker project

So, there I was doing my burn out at Central Florida Race Track when all of a sudden I heard a loud knocking sound comming from the engine. Oh crap! I pulled off the track and pulled the plug and saw that cylinder 5 struck the plug! Oh crap! So I gently drive the car back home and decided to remove the heads. Low and behold, cylinder 5 piston has a chunk missing. Oh crap! After a long debate, around 10 minutes or so, I decided to rebuild bigger and better! I want MORE power! I decided to put in a 402 strocker kit and cam. So here are a few pics of the dismanteling and the piston. I will post more after the build is completed.

hugger orange

nice! I want to build up a 4xx iron block stroker for mine......before I blow my stock motor so I can take my time on it

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

wo thats not good hope you get it all back in tip top shape asap.do you know what happened?something had to cause this.

Blue
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    wo thats not good hope you get it all back in tip top shape asap.do you know what happened?something had to cause this.

I'm not exactly sure what caused it, but the rev limiter was limiting it at the time it occurred. I did drop off the motor last week at MAK Performance in Miami. I won't get it back fir a few weeks thoigh since i'll be on vacation. I'll keep yous posted.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This same thing happened to a friend of mine with his 05. He put it back to stock with the intention of selling the car for a C6Z, but now he thinks he is going to keep the GTO.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

My guess being that it was a inside cyclinder be the engine being the fuel being too lean, builds up to much head. Couldnt tell you for sure without seeing it in person, but I work for a Insurance company as a adjuster and have seen it happen many times on Boat engines.

Thread Information