Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

2nd Gear Problem?

Ok well I have only owned my 2006 M6 PBM GTO for almost two months. Very low miles and excellent condition.

I have noticed that I'm having an issue with 2nd gear. So when I'm running it hard and do a hard shift/pull into second it becomes very jumpy, power jumping back and forth to the wheels. Sucks!

From what I can determine is that it feels like the clutch is not fully engaging. This only happens in second gear though and when punching it into this gear. At low speeds and normal driving it behaves fine.

So I'm not sure what could be the problem. I have an assumption that it could be the synchromesh that is gone since the previous owner might have abused that gear a bit too much. Could be something with the clutch especially when punching it into third, fourth, etc... isn't the same or that pure rush of power/torque that whips your head as seen with second gear!

I'm opening this up for discussion and the possibility that someone else has come across this problem. START YOUR ENGINES!!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Do you have the 1st to 4th shift?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Do you have the 1st to 4th shift?
    Yes, I have the shift eliminator.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder? If so, is it clear or black?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Just checked and I will say it's NASTY! Like there actually chunks in the resevoir!

So whats the easiest way to swap the fluid? I know there is so many problems draining it completely and trying to bleed clutch lines so not too enthusiased by that! What about just sucking some out of the resevoir and just keep adding fresh fluid over time? What is your opinion on the best method?

Also could this just be the problem or maybe something else?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Just checked and I will say it's NASTY! Like there actually chunks in the resevoir!

So whats the easiest way to swap the fluid? I know there is so many problems draining it completely and trying to bleed clutch lines so not too enthusiased by that! What about just sucking some out of the resevoir and just keep adding fresh fluid over time? What is your opinion on the best method?

Also could this just be the problem or maybe something else?
    From the descrip, that is your problem. Chunks can clog the line. Get a turkey baster and empty the reservoir and replace with fresh DOT-4 fluid. Yer gonna have to do this over and over again tho. I have done it three times and I am not done, but I don't wanna risk getting air in the system. Once you replace the fluid, cap the clutch cylinder and get in and without the car running, press the clutch a few times> Get back under the hood and check to see if there is any traces of the old black fluid. If so, then get the turkey baster out again and drain the cylinder again.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    From the descrip, that is your problem. Chunks can clog the line. Get a turkey baster and empty the reservoir and replace with fresh DOT-4 fluid. Yer gonna have to do this over and over again tho. I have done it three times and I am not done, but I don't wanna risk getting air in the system. Once you replace the fluid, cap the clutch cylinder and get in and without the car running, press the clutch a few times> Get back under the hood and check to see if there is any traces of the old black fluid. If so, then get the turkey baster out again and drain the cylinder again.
    Well I don't have a turkey baster or if I use the one handy it will also be bad haha! I went to Advanced and picked up some DOT 4 fluid and pulled into the car wash next door for some light. Just used a paper towel to suck up the fluid and wipe the resevoir down since it was covered with a film/chunks. Pressed the clutch a few times and the fluid did turn a slight brown with some black specs in it. Going to drive a few days to mix it up better and repeat. Continue to do so over the next few weeks. The shifting did feel better, stronger engagement. Hope this is all and nothing else!

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 6.0LiterImportEater View Post
    Well I don't have a turkey baster or if I use the one handy it will also be bad haha! I went to Advanced and picked up some DOT 4 fluid and pulled into the car wash next door for some light. Just used a paper towel to suck up the fluid and wipe the resevoir down since it was covered with a film/chunks. Pressed the clutch a few times and the fluid did turn a slight brown with some black specs in it. Going to drive a few days to mix it up better and repeat. Continue to do so over the next few weeks. The shifting did feel better, stronger engagement. Hope this is all and nothing else!
    Sounds like yer gettin close to fixin the prob.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hopefully you didn't get that brake fluid on the paint...it will eat that shit right off there.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    hopefully you didn't get that brake fluid on the paint...it will eat that shit right off there.
    Definately made sure of that!

Thread Information