Results 1 to 14 of 14

2006 GTO Opinion

This is a discussion on 2006 GTO Opinion within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok, Im looking at a 2006 GTO 6 speed, 6.0. I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is just a ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    285

    Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

    2006 GTO Opinion

    Ok, Im looking at a 2006 GTO 6 speed, 6.0.

    I have a 2000 Camaro SS that is just a weekender.

    For the ones that own a GTO, what is the Pro's and Con's that you have about your GTO?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    To me, there are no cons. Fun to drive, seats are very inviting, just be careful. The ride is VERY smooth, so you could be doing 100+mph and not feel it.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    285

    Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

    Thanks. I test drove an 04 today and I liked the way it felt but I want the ls2.

  4. #4
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    06's had some issues with the ignition lock so find out if that one has been repaired. 06's are definitely the way to go. I had an 04 and my brother has an 06. I will say though that for just a DD the 04 would be appealing due to the price you can get them at. You're not going to miss that 50HP from the LS2 anyhow unless you're wanting to do more to the car.

  5. #5
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    I love them, the only problem is if you try to get 6' + people in and out of the back seat....once they are in there It's pretty good. I'd go for the best car, not the ls1, or ls2....both are great engines so you can't go wrong

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slowbusa View Post
    Thanks. I test drove an 04 today and I liked the way it felt but I want the ls2.
    I've driven both. I don't know who wouldn't miss the extra 50hp whether you are going to mod it or not. I went from a 99ss to an 05 6.0 GTO. It's a very smooth riding and driving car. The interior is nice but back seats are hard to get in and out of, however once in there they are fine. I dislike not having a lock button for the doors. The car is heavy and wants to push when cornering hard. Wheel hop is much worse than my camaro was. Gas mileage is about the same.

    All in all I'm very happy with the switch. I really love this car. I've had it for about 8 months now and it's still a joy to drive. If you are ok with 18mpg in mixed driving it's a great daily driver.

  7. #7
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I've driven both. I don't know who wouldn't miss the extra 50hp whether you are going to mod it or not. I went from a 99ss to an 05 6.0 GTO. It's a very smooth riding and driving car. The interior is nice but back seats are hard to get in and out of, however once in there they are fine. I dislike not having a lock button for the doors. The car is heavy and wants to push when cornering hard. Wheel hop is much worse than my camaro was. Gas mileage is about the same.

    All in all I'm very happy with the switch. I really love this car. I've had it for about 8 months now and it's still a joy to drive. If you are ok with 18mpg in mixed driving it's a great daily driver.
    my brother's 06 ran a 13.40 stock and my 04 ran a 13.6 stock.......not that far off really. If you're not modding it you're not really gonna notice 2/10's on the street.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    my brother's 06 ran a 13.40 stock and my 04 ran a 13.6 stock.......not that far off really. If you're not modding it you're not really gonna notice 2/10's on the street.
    You can feel the difference I've driven both. Are they night and day? Of course not but you can feel it for sure it's 50hp. I raced my completely stock 05 against an 04 with an intake and exhaust so essentially stock for stock and it wasn't very close. I had him by over 2 car lengths before I was out of second. The 04 is a good car and the ls1 is a great motor but if you can afford it I think you are better off with an LS2 GTO. It will be a wash in the end when you resell, the 04 will always be worth less. If modding it is your main goal why not buy the cheaper ls1 GTO and spend all the coin you save on mods? Both motors are solid platforms to build on. Just my .02.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    283

    red
    2000 Z28

    I'm going to play devil's advocate and say if you are not going to mod, I'd save the money and go with the '04. The seat of the pants feel on the street isn't huge between the LS1 and LS2 GTO's. If you are planning on modding, I'd go with the 05/06 because of the 4" bore on the LS2 will give you more head options. Alot of the newer heads available aren't compatible with the smaller bore of the LS1.

    I think the interior of the GTO is GM's best, better than a 'Vette even, although I agree that the beck seat is hard to access (but comfortable once you're there).

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and say if you are not going to mod, I'd save the money and go with the '04. The seat of the pants feel on the street isn't huge between the LS1 and LS2 GTO's. If you are planning on modding, I'd go with the 05/06 because of the 4" bore on the LS2 will give you more head options. Alot of the newer heads available aren't compatible with the smaller bore of the LS1.

    I think the interior of the GTO is GM's best, better than a 'Vette even, although I agree that the beck seat is hard to access (but comfortable once you're there).

    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    this is pretty much my thinking too......I'd rather have the displacement when it comes time to mod. On the other hand the difference in price would give you a few thousand dollar head start on the 04. It's a wash really IMO......I've rode in and worked on both. I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I do like the 18's on the 06's and although they look similar they're much easier to clean and I like the 06 tail lights.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    this is pretty much my thinking too......I'd rather have the displacement when it comes time to mod. On the other hand the difference in price would give you a few thousand dollar head start on the 04. It's a wash really IMO......I've rode in and worked on both. I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I do like the 18's on the 06's and although they look similar they're much easier to clean and I like the 06 tail lights.
    You guys do make good points about modding and starting with a larger displacement. I guess I am looking at it as a limitation of funds deal, the difference in price can buy a lot of mods. I like the 18's as well I have them on my 05 and they are easier to clean. I also agree both are nice cars and you really can't go wrong with either one, but if money is not an object I'd prefer an LS2. I don't think the OP will be disappointed with a GTO I know I'm not.

  12. #12
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    I loved my 04 and would still have it if I could've figured out how to pull a 5th wheel with it.

  13. #13
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Or you could go with the 04, then drop in a 408 stroker

  14. #14
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    If I were to replace my motor, I would go with an LSX427.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just looking for an opinion
    By scoobysmak in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM
  2. need an opinion
    By 02fbody35th in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 06:36 AM
  3. What is your opinion of this?
    By CaptainCaveMan in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 02:55 PM
  4. Opinion on 01 Z28
    By jshilli1 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:02 AM
  5. I need everyone's opinion!
    By Whiteboycntdnce in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •