Nero
    2006 gto

2006 GTO M6 Mods

k so Im finally getting the hang of driving a real musclecar, and I think its time for more performance. So, basically Im looking at a CAI, possibly a Cam swap, and a mail-order tune. Im shooting for around a 25-50hp increase before the tune. My question is, is this a good combo idea? Any suggestions would be awesome. I dont really know the first thing about matching up aftermarket parts yet, but from what Ive read on here, you guys do.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

if you have the money go with a h/c package and some headers and then get a dyno tune i wouldnt go mail order with a cam. you should pick up some decent power with the h.c or just even with a cam but i would get headers as a first mod but just imo tho

Nero
    2006 gto

H/C package...guessing header/catback? Like i said im totally new at this. I know what the parts are and where they go, just not which ones to buy. Sounds good though, I know that helping the engine breathe better is the first step to more power. Any suggestions on companies that make such packages?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

h/c stands for heads and cam packages...most people do this all together you dont have too but if your going to take it off anyways might as well do it once. As far as companies most of the sponsers make them..as far as mods go it just depends on what your price limit is heads arnt cheap..cams are resonible..headers are all diffrent prices just depends what brand you get..is yours an a4 or m6?

Nero
    2006 gto

Its an M6, which im looking to pit a ripshifter in... around $350 from JHP, no idea what labor costs are gonna be. Basically, my budget is limited to about a grand every couple months for the car. I totally get the point you made about doin it all at once. So an h/c package sounds like a good bet for me.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

there is alot to think about before you just go out and get a h.c package..wether you want NA car or a FI car alot will depend on that .. i would first start opening up the car and putting some headers on it and a decent catback..that alone should give ya around 20-40 more hp.. another thing to do to really wake up the car is put diffrent gear ratios in it most people with M6 cars go with 4.10s hope this helps a lil

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by PatrizioD View Post
    Its an M6, which im looking to pit a ripshifter in... around $350 from JHP, no idea what labor costs are gonna be. Basically, my budget is limited to about a grand every couple months for the car. I totally get the point you made about doin it all at once. So an h/c package sounds like a good bet for me.
    I got a short throw shifter from ws6 store for about $120. so you might want to think about that. Don't waste money on labor. I did most of the work myself with a little help from my dad when i was 17. it's not a hard install at all. I would do the headers, catback, intake and gears before you decide on a h/c swap. Subframe connectors and any other chassis/suspension work is also great. I usually spend weeks to months researching for each mod I get. If you are serious about the h/c swap I would look into it very deeply and save your $ while u research.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Ok first off I would purchase a Volant cold air kit. Second I would do this shifter.
    This will help aid your driving skills greatly.
    Second for the money it costs to get a quality header I would spend money else where first. The LS2 in your car has a very free flowing thin cast manifold which is no where near as restrictive as past factory manifolds.

I would do the 3.91 gear swap and a 1 piece drive shaft. Adding sub-frame connectors @ the same time. Which will make a bigger difference than the exhaust ever would.

On the tune where are you located? I would have someone do a custom tune if possible. If not the Diablo is a good hand held with some minor adjustments.

Are you scared of nitrous? You can put a nice kit on it and you'll gain twice as much as any head cam swap would give you. Not to mention loose NO driveability and have the nice sleeper car.

It still has the huge stock mufflers?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Nero
    2006 gto

Yep stock everything on the car. Will that shifter do anything about the 1-to-4 problem? Ive read that it can be fixed with a simple computer reprogram, but Im not sure about that. As for the gears, sounds good, but expensive. I just dropped $30k on this car 2 months ago, so the budget is tight for now. So, best order would be ...
    CAI ::gonna go Volant, heard good things::
    That shifter ::P/N would be great if u got it::
    Gear swap...also sounds expensive.

Im from Rhode Island, near the Massachusetts border, I think there are a few shops around here but any referrals would be cool. And no, Im not scared of n2o, just would prefer something a little less illegal in these parts....for now.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

gears arnt expesnsive i got my 4.10's for 159$ from motive but labor i dunno b.c friend of mine did it for me...cai would be a great first mod..as far as the 1-4 deal get a skip shift eliminator there like 20 or so and most of the sponsers carry them..but listen to ls2tuner he know's what he's talking about ...good luck

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yep stock everything on the car. Will that shifter do anything about the 1-to-4 problem? Ive read that it can be fixed with a simple computer reprogram, but Im not sure about that. As for the gears, sounds good, but expensive. I just dropped $30k on this car 2 months ago, so the budget is tight for now. So, best order would be ...
    CAI ::gonna go Volant, heard good things::
    That shifter ::P/N would be great if u got it::
    Gear swap...also sounds expensive.

Im from Rhode Island, near the Massachusetts border, I think there are a few shops around here but any referrals would be cool. And no, Im not scared of n2o, just would prefer something a little less illegal in these parts....for now.
    Here is the best price on your cai http://www.lmperformance.com/15483/43.html
    A link for the shifter. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...er-p-3177.html
    I would check out these mufflers. http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Sorry company is here I'll finish later.

Nero
    2006 gto

LS2Tuner, ur a godsend. Thanks a TON

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_badass View Post
    gears arnt expesnsive i got my 4.10's for 159$ from motive but labor i dunno b.c friend of mine did it for me...cai would be a great first mod..as far as the 1-4 deal get a skip shift eliminator there like 20 or so and most of the sponsers carry them..but listen to ls2tuner he know's what he's talking about ...good luck
    Yeah unfortunately NO Motive,Richmond,or Zoom gears are available for the Goats IRS. As far as I know your still limited to Diff Techs or another Ausi dis. So at that your best price I know of is around $600 and then $60-80 shipping.
    And yes that puts you at the same price range as a quality pair of headers and mid pipes.
    I would say the gears will give you a much more add in the performance area.

The nitrous street legal issue is not anything you have to worry about. There is not a way they can site you for any type of nitrous on your car due to the fact they can't prove you are using it on the street. So unless you have some special local law there is nothing for you to worry about.

You could build your own kit for around what you would pay for a cam and install and there is NO comparision in power gains. Not to mention all these idiots that have NO clue on nitrous or it's affects. Think about it you are only putting added wear on the motor for seconds at a time....

LS2Tuner, ur a godsend. Thanks a TON

Thread Information