Black
    04 GTO

Question 2 issues I hope someone has an answer for

Hi,

I have a 04 gto and the only thing done is a superchips tuner. Since I did that I was at a friends house and we both noticed a ticking sound from the engine. a few minutes later it stopped. I had checked oil previously and oil was good, I know I used the right octane gas 91. Any ideas on that would be great.

2nd issue, when I plug in the superchips tuner it says fuel gauge error contact dealer. And I didn't think about it until I was at the gas station and I fill until the filler thing stops and then the gauge never goes above 3/4 of a tank? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

1stgto

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

The ticking could be a few things, could be knock sensor...your computer ajusted, timing, Air/fuel ratio, and it quit. I would try running some injestor cleaner, and a higher grade fuel, for a couple of tanks. 93-0r 94 when I can find it, is all I use. As for the 3/4 tank problem, could be your float is sticking, I don't know how mecanically inclined you are but in the trunk is the gas tank, pull back the carpet and it is fairly easy access. take a looksey, save yourself $65 an hour unless it is still under warrenty...hehe, good luck.

Black
    06 Chevy Caprice HT (RIP)

I would have to say it could be a Hydraulic lifter...You say it goes away after a short while...My tahoe use to do the same thing. one of them just went bad.

Also u said u have a fuel gauge error. I think ur chip messed up your readins, somehow it used the seed to get into the PCM through the fuel guage and it may have rewrote the calibrations. I have a similar issue when i changed my cluster.

I would have a tuner check out the setting on the fuel, but definantly have the lifters looked at...

Its a GTO..........thats the biggest issue. Most problems people regularly talk about are thing that are just normal querks of this particular vehicle. The LS1/LS2's are noisey engines.......period. They are temperamental a best. Both my goats ticked, rattled, clicked, clacked...etc..........all at random times...they go away, they come back. Its just the nature of the beast. If you go to some of the other sites like ls1gto.com, you will see that most of us cant completely fill our gas tanks.
    As for the fuel guage erreor with the tuner. I had a Predator hand held for my '04........did the same thing. And almost everyone that used a hand held got the same error. The Predator manual even stated this would occure.
    I think you are ok. The GTO is just a weird cookie....takes some getting used to.
    As a precaution....keep monitoring your oil level and if the tick gets louder and more predominant......then I'd say take it in to have it looked at.
    '06 M6 GTO (Redrum)
    Comp 228/232
    SW LT's
    GMM Ripper
    JHP Pod
    C.A.I. Air Box
    HPS Tuned
    421rwhp/401rwtq

Black
    04 GTO

five 0

I like that answer. Thanks

1stgto

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

You stated that you checked the oil but, How long since the last oil change?
    Just asking.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

Black
    04 GTO

oil change

Last Thursday

red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

i had the same ticking problem with my 04 gto after i ran it hard @ the track, i changed my oil and it went away dont know if i fixed it or if it fixed itself

Thread Information