Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 92 of 92

04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4

This is a discussion on 04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Oh, also doing a 4l80e swap...

  1. #81
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Oh, also doing a 4l80e swap

  2. #82
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    well, the flanges were piece of shit, so, i decided to just nip this problem is the ass and be done with it.

    Instead of screwing with flanges, or vbands, or whatever, i disassembled everything, removed it from the car, and sanded it all down, and cleaned up all the surfaces,

    I then proceeded to put it all back on the car, bolt of the turbo and down pipe so that they were in their respective positions, and grabbed the trusty Clarke 135 and welded the two vband flanges together! No pics of this, sorry, i was not even thinking about pictures.

    Anyhow, before, i had to removed everything to get the passenger manifold off anyhow, now i have to remove everything and the spark plugs, lol. But its really not all that bad, i tested, put it all back on and took it all back off, not a big deal at all.

    Piece of mind, no more leaks, its very quiet under the hood now, the turbo sounds even more incredible then before. and spools like it should!

    SO, before i put it all back in, i decided to do some house cleaning, removed the Cruise control box, (ordered lokar cable to delete the rest) painted down pipe and wastegate dump, etc. lots of house cleaning, im not afraid to pop my hood anymore, and actually think it looks pretty good. their is only 3 things left i want to do.

    1. remove and clean up the junction box,
    2. make longer fuel lines to move them down and over for the regulator so they arent jumping across the engine bay.
    3. move the coolant fill cap about 4" to the left with and offset.

    anyway, here are a couple pics of how it sits and im actually very happy with the setup now.










  3. #83
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Looking good brother!

  4. #84
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Thanks bro! I decided to drive her to work today. Most fun I've had driving To work in a while. Lol

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

  5. #85
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Thanks bro! I decided to drive her to work today. Most fun I've had driving To work in a while. Lol

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Nice, Got all the loose ends about tied up and all tuned----?

  6. #86
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Well, loose ends, not really, tuned, needs alot more of that, lol

    I been banging away on our saftey tune. Commands like 10.2 afr and like 10* of timing in areas we havent hit but a couple times, just to keep it safe.

    But its still a monster. If i wasnt driving on DRs i dont know what it would be like, becuase its half way through 2nd gear now before it really grabs, lol.

    Also, going to be building this 4l80e i picked up last night so thats next on the "TOO DO" list,

  7. #87
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Well, loose ends, not really, tuned, needs alot more of that, lol

    I been banging away on our saftey tune. Commands like 10.2 afr and like 10* of timing in areas we havent hit but a couple times, just to keep it safe.

    But its still a monster. If i wasnt driving on DRs i dont know what it would be like, becuase its half way through 2nd gear now before it really grabs, lol.

    Also, going to be building this 4l80e i picked up last night so thats next on the "TOO DO" list,
    Yea, Keep it safe--- a little at a time, and cool on the trans that will help out.

  8. #88
    Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paterson/Ridgewood, NJ
    Posts
    11,474

    Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

    Did you have an OTRCAI before? I like the build. That is one "nice" sized turbo ya got there.

  9. #89
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Yea, Keep it safe--- a little at a time, and cool on the trans that will help out.
    It should, its not an easy or cheap swap though

    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Did you have an OTRCAI before? I like the build. That is one "nice" sized turbo ya got there.
    No, i didnt have an OTRCAI, before this it was a rearmount turbo, lol. I went from factory intake, to turbo

    I think this turbo is a good match for spool, but with its smaller turbine wheel, it kinda of has a back pressure issue

  10. #90
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Got the 4l80 on the bench. Tore it apart and realized Its not going To be easy. Lol. But I've come to far to turn back now. Ill post some pics of the tear down shortly. Also received my new Yank PY3600 torque Converter. Pretty excited about that. Should be able launch on a couple lbs of boost now without issue.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

  11. #91
    Member Texas Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    675

    Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Got the 4l80 on the bench. Tore it apart and realized Its not going To be easy. Lol. But I've come to far to turn back now. Ill post some pics of the tear down shortly. Also received my new Yank PY3600 torque Converter. Pretty excited about that. Should be able launch on a couple lbs of boost now without issue.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    That's the truck tranny right, and it's a 4 speed auto that shifts via computer, just a dumb question---will the GTO computer shift it? Also looking forward to the rebuild!!

  12. #92
    Member JAX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    471

    PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

    Yes Jack, that is the truck transmission, supposedly, significantly stronger then a built 60 is stock form.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Front Mount Turbo Systems
    By irocandroll4ws6 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM
  2. 04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4
    By JAX04 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
  3. Help: Help me move my rear mount up front.
    By Texas_WS6 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
  4. Help: Newbie wants to do front mount turbo
    By need4speed069 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
  5. New front mount truck kit-finished
    By farmtruc in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •