Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4

This is a discussion on 04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Oh, also doing a 4l80e swap...

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Oh, also doing a 4l80e swap

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

well, the flanges were piece of shit, so, i decided to just nip this problem is the ass and be done with it.

Instead of screwing with flanges, or vbands, or whatever, i disassembled everything, removed it from the car, and sanded it all down, and cleaned up all the surfaces,

I then proceeded to put it all back on the car, bolt of the turbo and down pipe so that they were in their respective positions, and grabbed the trusty Clarke 135 and welded the two vband flanges together! No pics of this, sorry, i was not even thinking about pictures.

Anyhow, before, i had to removed everything to get the passenger manifold off anyhow, now i have to remove everything and the spark plugs, lol. But its really not all that bad, i tested, put it all back on and took it all back off, not a big deal at all.

Piece of mind, no more leaks, its very quiet under the hood now, the turbo sounds even more incredible then before. and spools like it should!

SO, before i put it all back in, i decided to do some house cleaning, removed the Cruise control box, (ordered lokar cable to delete the rest) painted down pipe and wastegate dump, etc. lots of house cleaning, im not afraid to pop my hood anymore, and actually think it looks pretty good. their is only 3 things left i want to do.

1. remove and clean up the junction box,
    2. make longer fuel lines to move them down and over for the regulator so they arent jumping across the engine bay.
    3. move the coolant fill cap about 4" to the left with and offset.

anyway, here are a couple pics of how it sits and im actually very happy with the setup now.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Looking good brother!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Thanks bro! I decided to drive her to work today. Most fun I've had driving To work in a while. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Thanks bro! I decided to drive her to work today. Most fun I've had driving To work in a while. Lol

Nice, Got all the loose ends about tied up and all tuned----?

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Well, loose ends, not really, tuned, needs alot more of that, lol

I been banging away on our saftey tune. Commands like 10.2 afr and like 10* of timing in areas we havent hit but a couple times, just to keep it safe.

But its still a monster. If i wasnt driving on DRs i dont know what it would be like, becuase its half way through 2nd gear now before it really grabs, lol.

Also, going to be building this 4l80e i picked up last night so thats next on the "TOO DO" list,

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Well, loose ends, not really, tuned, needs alot more of that, lol

I been banging away on our saftey tune. Commands like 10.2 afr and like 10* of timing in areas we havent hit but a couple times, just to keep it safe.

But its still a monster. If i wasnt driving on DRs i dont know what it would be like, becuase its half way through 2nd gear now before it really grabs, lol.

Also, going to be building this 4l80e i picked up last night so thats next on the "TOO DO" list,
    Yea, Keep it safe--- a little at a time, and cool on the trans that will help out.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Did you have an OTRCAI before? I like the build. That is one "nice" sized turbo ya got there.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    Yea, Keep it safe--- a little at a time, and cool on the trans that will help out.
    It should, its not an easy or cheap swap though

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Did you have an OTRCAI before? I like the build. That is one "nice" sized turbo ya got there.
    No, i didnt have an OTRCAI, before this it was a rearmount turbo, lol. I went from factory intake, to turbo

I think this turbo is a good match for spool, but with its smaller turbine wheel, it kinda of has a back pressure issue

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Got the 4l80 on the bench. Tore it apart and realized Its not going To be easy. Lol. But I've come to far to turn back now. Ill post some pics of the tear down shortly. Also received my new Yank PY3600 torque Converter. Pretty excited about that. Should be able launch on a couple lbs of boost now without issue.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Got the 4l80 on the bench. Tore it apart and realized Its not going To be easy. Lol. But I've come to far to turn back now. Ill post some pics of the tear down shortly. Also received my new Yank PY3600 torque Converter. Pretty excited about that. Should be able launch on a couple lbs of boost now without issue.

That's the truck tranny right, and it's a 4 speed auto that shifts via computer, just a dumb question---will the GTO computer shift it? Also looking forward to the rebuild!!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Yes Jack, that is the truck transmission, supposedly, significantly stronger then a built 60 is stock form.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information