Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4

This is a discussion on 04' GTO front mount TC78 LQ4 within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; No problem, been following the build from the start,what size and what is the boost going to be? more...

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

No problem, been following the build from the start,what size and what is the boost going to be? more

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jack View Post
    No problem, been following the build from the start,what size and what is the boost going to be? more
    Dont have anymore pics at the moment, lol. But i will soon.

And size of what??? Boost, hmmm.... Not sure yet, going to start at around 10lbs and see what that gets me on the dyno.

I must say, my end result, id like to see north of 550whp on a mustang dyno. But this is a stock short block LQ4, so we shall see what happens i suppose.

Thanks for following along, i did some work last night, finished the front of the fuel system, rails and reg. and pulled the tank last night to go ahead and begin to butcher my stock bucket, should be lots of fun this evening, its out on the floor waiting for my return tonight, hopefully have some pics then.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Turbo size and boost brother!!!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

oh, its a TC78, 78mm. and boost, i want to do 10 on a day to day and maybe see if i can squeak out 12-14 for a track pass or two.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Fuel system is ran, Twin walbros intank with a hacked bucket, ive had a hacked bucket for a year now and havent had any trouble. Ive kept the fuel level reasonable and when low, no hard launches or corners.

I went as far as threading the Regulator set screw quite a ways down to increase the pressure.

Ran the secondary walbro for awhile a good friend was under the hood checking all the connections and i was looking at the top of the tank fittings. Only 1 LEAK, it was the -8 line running off the second fuel rail into the regulator. Quick tighten up with a wrench and no more leak. She is all but buttoned up guys. Just a few more little odds and ends things and some house cleaning.

I got some drag bags to install, only to help with squatting, i havent had any issues with tire rub with the 275 drs, but this is just a precautionary measure, so i will install those before the car hits the ground for what will hopefully be the last time for awhile.:-pimp:

The blue conduit in the upper left hand corner is what encases the Fuel line all the way. Down through the trunk and up through the engine bay. Its tucked behind the heat shield under the passenger floor board and wrapped with heat reflective tape before that so that anything hot (exhaust) will hopefully be reflected.

I am not happy with the line going to and coming from the regulator. I WILL get some longer ones to run them more cleanly and tuck them away. Along with the vacuum line mess in the back. I want this to look nice, period. I hope im getting there.

couple pics, they look close to the other ones. But what the hell right. :rules:

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

It looks good, you put a lot of blood, sweat and $'s into this project but you will ride with a big smile on your face! The TC78 is a fast spool up and a big boy, bet it will snap your head off. Can't wait to see the vids of it running, thanks' for sharing Jax!!!!!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Ill be sure to post up vids man! good or bad! lol

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Well after a long ass night last night trying to figure out why i couldnt grab fuel pressure on my brand new walbro, we were up until about 12:30 working on it. It seems that the walbro was either air locked or something, but after dumping some fuel in a bucket and removing the sock, i bench tested it and it took it a second, but once it grabbed fuel, it was off to the races. Works like a charm now. Currently running dual walbros, the second one is on a hobbs switch.

Did all that, added an inline filler neck for the coolant to make it easier to bleed. Buttoned up the front end, stuffed some insulation into the top of the radiator to keep the shroud and fan from pulling air over the top, i put the bumper back on, etc. Here she is.

I drove her around the block about 5 times to make sure it would stay running, check for leaks, etc. Its running pig rich at the moment, stupid winter blend E85 (E-75) here. Im hoping to rent the local dyno, in another week or two, its a loaded dynojet, so my tuner and i can tune his car and mine and get this thing road worthy by the 20th.

Quick video.

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Damn Jax, Your ride sounds real healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Thanks Jack, it feels pretty good on the short little "round the block" drives ive done. Its running pretty rich at the moment, but i think i may get some tuning in on thursday

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Well, i actually drove the car tonight, to the store and everything, people down at the local parts store wanted to see it since theyve had to put up with me for a long damn time now. lol.

anyway, on the way there, i decided to pull it into second gear going like 25 mph, i eased into throttle very easy like, lol and no sooner did i hear the snail start to whistle the back end went sideways, this thing is going to be AWESOME! i cannot wait until its finished tuned and running right! gonna be gobbs of fun!

Universal Pisser Offer Fester801's Avatar

Torrid Red
    05 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Well, i actually drove the car tonight, to the store and everything, people down at the local parts store wanted to see it since theyve had to put up with me for a long damn time now. lol.

anyway, on the way there, i decided to pull it into second gear going like 25 mph, i eased into throttle very easy like, lol and no sooner did i hear the snail start to whistle the back end went sideways, this thing is going to be AWESOME! i cannot wait until its finished tuned and running right! gonna be gobbs of fun!
    Awesome!!! I think I just peed a little bit...

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Damn, Hope you have a roll cage, 4 point harness, and a fire suit LOL!!!!!

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Got some drivablility tuning in today, its running great! also went to the exhaust shop to get my cutout and downpipe finished and got my Moros Evac system started as well.

Should be able to start tuning boost in a couple more days, need to get some more work done underneath before i can start that, im devising a way to run the valley cover to one of the moroso nipples and still keep attached to the manifold to make sure it gets vacuum even at idle.

Im starting to get stupid excited here!

Cyclone Grey
    2006 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by JAX04 View Post
    Got some drivablility tuning in today, its running great! also went to the exhaust shop to get my cutout and downpipe finished and got my Moros Evac system started as well.

Should be able to start tuning boost in a couple more days, need to get some more work done underneath before i can start that, im devising a way to run the valley cover to one of the moroso nipples and still keep attached to the manifold to make sure it gets vacuum even at idle.

Im starting to get stupid excited here!
    I would be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I would suggest you get a diffrent air filter those are not very good,they clog up rather fast and are restrictive.just trying to help..

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

You are very correct! When I removed it I had more boost in 1st gear Then I could use. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2004 GTO,A4 turbo build in the progress and corn juice to follow

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

yea,those foam filters were all junk even back on carbs they would plug up,I have even had regular filters limit boost,gotta get that air into them to make boost!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Not sure how you have the walboros run but i use a one way check valve so when I am not in boost its not pressurizing the second pump trying to shove pressure through backwards,I used the same setup a few years back those lil pumps do well,when I went for more power I found they would not do the job,so I sumped the tank and added a weldon what a diffrence.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Ive got them both running at all times right now, My hobbs switch failed, so i jumpered it.

But i use a full return system with an areomotive a1000 regulator. -8 feed and -6 return and a nice set of fuel rails with 80lb injectors. Which arent going to last long either. ARG!

i agree, when the time comes, these will go away, weldon, magnafuel, etc. as these little walbros arent the greatest things in the world, IMO. But, for now they work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information