04-06 GTO LSx Camshaft options.

This is a discussion on 04-06 GTO LSx Camshaft options. within the GTO forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; So here's the beef for me. I'll come out and say it - I'm a Timing and Aspiration idiot. I ...

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

Exclamation 04-06 GTO LSx Camshaft options.

So here's the beef for me.
    I'll come out and say it - I'm a Timing and Aspiration idiot. I know little to nothing about them.

-
    Lets begin.

So, we have an LS1 in a 2004 M6 Pontiac GTO.
    We want to put a cam in it! Now... We understand that cars now days are computer controled and we should be carful when modifying shit like that, so we take carful measures to ensure we're on the right path.
    We look for cams that are "Computer Compatable", cams that are "Bolt on", cams that are "Drop in" and cams that we know aren't too big!

But we're confused, aren't we? I know I am...
    How do we know whats too big?
    How do we know we'll get the right kit?
    How do we know the cam won't screw anything up?
    How do we know we're going to get everything we need?

Lest see - Here's what we know, for certain, based on OEM Specs.
    Camshaft End Play : 0.001 - 0.012 Inch
    Camshaft Journal Diameter : 2.164 - 2.166 inch
    Camshaft Exhaust Lift : 0.292 inch
    Camshaft Intake Lift : 0.292 inch
    So based on our knowledge of the stock mathematics, what are our options?!

We need to have further understanding of MANY factors when installing a cam!
    That's where people like is, the DIYers run into trouble.
    Many of these equasions are important.
    Such as:
    *Spring coil bind clearnce
    *Reainer to seal/valve guide boss clearance
    *iston to valve clearance
    *ocker arm slot to stud clearance
    *amshaft endplay
    *Dstributor shaft and gear endplay
    *Connection rod-to-cam clearnce
    *roper hydraulic lifter pre-load
    *roper valvetrain geometry

We know we want something beefy. Something fun to listen to, and a blast to drive.
    We know we need something driveable. After all, it's our daily driver.
    We know we need something that we can obtain in a kit. We don't want to have to piece together a project from 100 different sources...

Well, what are our options? What lifts? What Durations? What Brands? What styles? What Kits? What COSTS!? And most importantly, where can we get these items?

Last edited by ne0fiend; 12-18-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

there are guys running 234/240 640/640 lift in these cars.. everything can be tuned, as long as you get the right springs, pushrods...

I am running a 225/234 550/550 on a 114 lsa cam in my goat.

Cost can be anywhere from 400 for a GM hotcam kit, to 800 for the larger Comp Camps, HPE, Texas Speed kits...

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Best bet is to talk to someone who designs cams. There are quite a few reputable people out there to choose from. Talk to them about your goals and wants for the car, etc. Then from that info, a cam can be done to fit your needs along with any/all additional parts required for the swap.

I recommend talking to Ed at Flow Tech, but that's me I've had a few cams in mine and am extremely happy with Ed's cam that he came up for me. I've had an LPE cam and was happy with it. Then went to a nice big Comp cam and wasn't happy with it. Made plenty of power and made the car fairly quick, but low speed was terrible. Changed it for the "baby" cam Ed got me and it made just as much power as the bigger Comp but with much better low end and great driveability.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Best bet is to talk to someone who designs cams. There are quite a few reputable people out there to choose from. Talk to them about your goals and wants for the car, etc. Then from that info, a cam can be done to fit your needs along with any/all additional parts required for the swap.

I recommend talking to Ed at Flow Tech, but that's me I've had a few cams in mine and am extremely happy with Ed's cam that he came up for me. I've had an LPE cam and was happy with it. Then went to a nice big Comp cam and wasn't happy with it. Made plenty of power and made the car fairly quick, but low speed was terrible. Changed it for the "baby" cam Ed got me and it made just as much power as the bigger Comp but with much better low end and great driveability.
    I am a baby cam user too.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

dont have to go big to make big power,damn GTO is heavy needs tourqe more then HP. to get its azz moving,just a rule of thumb tell cam guy what all you plan on doing when you get one ,take all things into consideration,parts have to work in unison.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spieldawg View Post
    +1. Once installed, be prepared for the power...and enjoy the cam shake, lol.

Junior Member east TX muscle cars's Avatar

orange
    2005 corvette 2004 gto

You can get all these items you are asking about from us, at E.T.M.C.
    you can get you basic cam kit for around 5-700$ is you car a DD car? do you take it on long trips? what do you want out of your car?
    70% of the cams that we sell are the TQV2 great power all over the curve and a great DD cam!

TURBOS,NITROUS,HAND PORTING OF HEADS,SUPERCHARGERS, heads and cams, DYNO TUINING.
    www.easttexasmusclecars.com

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Spieldawg View Post
    hopefully next weekend i'll be a baby cam user too. 220/224 .570/.580 112lsa

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

if you dont mind, what are your cam specs you are running now from Ed?

Yellow
    2004 GTO

hey i have a 04 gto too and am looking for a cam installed and the car tuned afterwards any ideas of a place maybe alittle closer to Iowa

Thread Information