Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Z06 vs RSX

This is a discussion on Z06 vs RSX within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Well as some of you may remember me from back in the day I had a blue EVO and I ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Z06 vs RSX

    Well as some of you may remember me from back in the day I had a blue EVO and I visited these forums. Well I sold my EVO to pay off some debt and invest in some other things. That was back in 2007. Well, I just picked up a beautiful 2002 Corvette Z06 in electron blue this past week. I think I put 500 miles on it this weekend! Anyway, during my cruising, I pulled up on a black Acura RSX Type-S. I thought nothing of it, but as I passed him I heard the fart can rise up and he pulled up next to me staring over at me with an incredibly serious face. I looked at him with the "do you really wanna go down this road" face since he had a girl in the car.

    So the road clears in front of us to do a pull, he down shifts to high RPM. I think we were going around 50mph, so I down shifted to 2nd and I let him go. As soon as I heard him give that little engine its all I stomped on it, spun for a second and then blew past him, shifted to 3rd and started putting lengths on him. I let off around 85-90mph because the race was so pathetic I dont think it was really worth me even going 100mph. To my dismay, he quickly exited the roadway which I think somehow implied he did not want to pull up next to me again. I sure wish he did! He had to know what was coming to him. Either way, if he didnt, he knows he should stick racing other all motor 4 cylinders

    I cant get enough of this Z06! I got a great deal on it and I cant wait to lower it and put some longtubes on! What a blast to drive! Forgot to mention, only mod on the Z is a Halitech Venom intake!

    2008 Lexus IS250 AWD (sold)
    2005 EVO8 - 460awhp (sold)
    1994 Nissan Sentra XE (beater)
    2002 Electron Blue Corvette Z06
    Performance |Halltech Venom, 3:73s, LS7 Clutch
    Exterior |Chrome wheels, ECC Clear corners, Lowered, Tint

  2. #2
    Member Racer X Vpr Klr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    cal
    Posts
    164

    pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

    that ll teach em....hehehehe

  3. #3
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    Minor bolt on RSX wont stand a chance at all. My friend is putting a turbo on his RSX and with the mods he has with the amount of boost he is running easy 420+FWHP.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Minor bolt on RSX wont stand a chance at all. My friend is putting a turbo on his RSX and with the mods he has with the amount of boost he is running easy 420+FWHP.
    Yeah but even to make 420whp you have to do a lot of stuff. A regular bolt-on kit running even 5-7psi doesnt even make much power. You really have to turn the boost up on those things to make any power.

  5. #5
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    he says he is running 14 PSI, so with that amount and his other mods he should be good. He is putting alot of money in it changing his diff out as well to handle the power, clutch and so on. The motor is going to stay stock, from what i gather they handle boost really well and has no problems at 14psi, but its pretty rare to run into a car like that. So with my luck he will be spanking my LS1 till i get nitrous on running atleast 150 shot and im not sure if thats gonna be enough, lol.

  6. #6
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Minor bolt on RSX wont stand a chance at all. My friend is putting a turbo on his RSX and with the mods he has with the amount of boost he is running easy 420+FWHP.
    And then, like every other Honda boy whose ever boosted his car, it blows up

    Honda engines just aren't meant for boost. Its a tiny, 2 bolt main, open deck block 4 banger with high compression. You couldn't ask for a worse motor to add boost to.

  7. #7
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    Thats true, he is going to not only risk his motor but on top of it he will have ZERO traction 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, even with his new LSD. He really wanted to get a Termi but his dad just wont let him at all, hates american cars so he said F it and im gonna mod my RSX as much as i can. I asked him about his compression and it being a stock motor boosting that high but he said a very reputable shop on there forum said it will handle the boost with no problems, i dont know about that but i will keep you guys posted lol.

  8. #8
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Thats true, he is going to not only risk his motor but on top of it he will have ZERO traction 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, even with his new LSD. He really wanted to get a Termi but his dad just wont let him at all, hates american cars so he said F it and im gonna mod my RSX as much as i can. I asked him about his compression and it being a stock motor boosting that high but he said a very reputable shop on there forum said it will handle the boost with no problems, i dont know about that but i will keep you guys posted lol.
    "Reputable" and "Honda tuning shops" don't ever seem to go together lol.

    Let us know how it goes

  9. #9
    Member fxgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pa
    Posts
    719

    Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    .............. Either way, if he didnt, he knows he should stick racing other all motor 4 cylinders
    Click for full size
    Actually the oil companies are hiring people with these types of cars to egg us on to race so we burn more fule so we have to buy more gas.
    It's just another ploy for them to sell more gas..............

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    And then, like every other Honda boy whose ever boosted his car, it blows up

    Honda engines just aren't meant for boost. Its a tiny, 2 bolt main, open deck block 4 banger with high compression. You couldn't ask for a worse motor to add boost to.
    Buddy of mine has a full interior street Civic hatchback with a bone stock K20 + GT35R turbo kit on 12psi. The car is running 10.69@133mph on slicks. I literally shat myself when I saw him run this. I couldn't believe it when he said it was 12psi, until he popped the wastegate off and revealed the 9psi spring (it creeps to 12 psi). He's been running this setup for over a year, and the guy he bought the car from had it for who knows how long before that. Most people don't realize that although the K20 is a measly 2.0L, it flows air extremely well, even way up top. On a good night he can hang with even my 240SX.

    This is one of the few 4 cylinder motors, that even though they are open deck, they take boost extremely well. High compression? Boost can work great with high compression as long is the tuning is good. LS1s are high compression, are they not? They respond to boost well too. And ummm.... I've never seen him have any problem with anything LSX, that's not boosted or juiced.

    In your defense I can't vouch for an RSX-S, since they weigh 500lbs. more than a Civic hatchback.

    Here is the track vid (10.69@133mph):



    Here is some highway pull (50-110mph almost instantly) so you can see how fast it gets going:

    Last edited by Superluminal; 04-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.

  11. #11
    They call me barney
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Crosby, Tx
    Posts
    260

    FUCKING PURPLE
    its an 02-ish something

    Wasnt much of a kill story

  12. #12
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    That car is sexy, I had the privelage to ride in one of those w/ an intake and cutout's-damn those things pull.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Electric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    34
    Posts
    37

    Electron Blue
    2002 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    That car is sexy, I had the privelage to ride in one of those w/ an intake and cutout's-damn those things pull.
    Yeah I am impressed with its stock power and feel.

  14. #14
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    good kill and welcome to lsx world

  15. #15
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Buddy of mine has a full interior street Civic hatchback with a bone stock K20 + GT35R turbo kit on 12psi. The car is running 10.69@133mph on slicks. I literally shat myself when I saw him run this. I couldn't believe it when he said it was 12psi, until he popped the wastegate off and revealed the 9psi spring (it creeps to 12 psi). He's been running this setup for over a year, and the guy he bought the car from had it for who knows how long before that. Most people don't realize that although the K20 is a measly 2.0L, it flows air extremely well, even way up top. On a good night he can hang with even my 240SX.
    Just seems to me that running 12PSI on an engine with 11:1 compression will eventually catch up with you. Its an extreme amount of stress on the pistons/rods/bearings to be pushing that kind of power through an engine that small. Those motors aren't even forged, its inevitable that something will eventually fail. My friend went through 3 rod bearings and 1 piston on his boosted B18 with only 10PSI before it blew up.

    Its also not cheap to make a car like that, despite the general consensus. Swapping in the engine and trans alone costs in upwards of 6K, figure in another 4K for the turbo setup, then of course 1K for axles and 1K for a limited slip differential. And of course all the other misc. crap and the cost of the car that needs to be figured in. All that money, and at the end of the day you have a nearly undriveable Honda Civic thats worth all of about $1500.

    This is one of the few 4 cylinder motors, that even though they are open deck, they take boost extremely well. High compression? Boost can work great with high compression as long is the tuning is good. LS1s are high compression, are they not? They respond to boost well too. And ummm.... I've never seen him have any problem with anything LSX, that's not boosted or juiced.
    Boost and high compression generally don't go well together. LS1's are 10:1 compression, and most people can run about 8-10PSI without any issue. However, the K20 is 11:1, and is not even close to as strong or well designed as an LSX block. They are only 2 bolt main, open deck blocks, and their rotating components are extremely small, since its only a 2.0. Compared with your standard closed deck, 6 bolt main LSX block, its a highly inferior engine.

    He may be getting away with it now, but an engine setup like that is only on borrowed time. There's a reason no Honda car has ever come from the factory with boost, they just aren't meant for it.
    Last edited by Wesman; 04-21-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Just seems to me that running 12PSI on an engine with 11:1 compression will eventually catch up with you. Its an extreme amount of stress on the pistons/rods/bearings to be pushing that kind of power through an engine that small. Those motors aren't even forged, its inevitable that something will eventually fail. My friend went through 3 rod bearings and 1 piston on his boosted B18 with only 10PSI before it blew up.

    Its also not cheap to make a car like that, despite the general consensus. Swapping in the engine and trans alone costs in upwards of 6K, figure in another 4K for the turbo setup, then of course 1K for axles and 1K for a limited slip differential. And of course all the other misc. crap and the cost of the car that needs to be figured in. All that money, and at the end of the day you have a nearly undriveable Honda Civic thats worth all of about $1500.



    Boost and high compression generally don't go well together. LS1's are 10:1 compression, and most people can run about 8-10PSI without any issue. However, the K20 is 11:1, and is not even close to as strong or well designed as an LSX block. They are only 2 bolt main, open deck blocks, and their rotating components are extremely small, since its only a 2.0. Compared with your standard closed deck, 6 bolt main LSX block, its a highly inferior engine.

    He may be getting away with it now, but an engine setup like that is only on borrowed time. There's a reason no Honda car has ever come from the factory with boost, they just aren't meant for it.
    B18 is a far different design that the K20. 2 bolt main? What are you talking about. B and K series are 6 bolt main. Who told you that? A 2 bolt main is stupid. Otherwise there would be no way the engine would hold up to power. He's been holding up to 400whp for over a year, and he takes it to the track every week, and sometimes the street races. Compressions is perfect and it's holding up fine. Keep in mind this engine is bone stock, pulled from a crashed RSX Type S. You blow up mostly from tuning issues rather than mechanical failure. It's rare for a K series motors to blow on boost alone. The car is tuned very well and it has a nice well put together kit, with no shortcuts. A setup like this done right will get you 10s. Most of the riceboys who don't know what they're doing will embarrass themselves with a improperly tuned setup.

    You and me can both agree that the FWD platform is not to our appeal, but as far as the engine is concerned, K20s do but out power reliably. I've seen it first hand.

    Also, so I don't hijack the guys thread... nice kill with the Z.

  17. #17
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    B18 is a far different design that the K20. 2 bolt main? What are you talking about. B and K series are 6 bolt main. Who told you that? A 2 bolt main is stupid. Otherwise there would be no way the engine would hold up to power. He's been holding up to 400whp for over a year, and he takes it to the track every week, and sometimes the street races. Compressions is perfect and it's holding up fine. Keep in mind this engine is bone stock, pulled from a crashed RSX Type S. You blow up mostly from tuning issues rather than mechanical failure. It's rare for a K series motors to blow on boost alone. The car is tuned very well and it has a nice well put together kit, with no shortcuts. A setup like this done right will get you 10s. Most of the riceboys who don't know what they're doing will embarrass themselves with a improperly tuned setup.

    You and me can both agree that the FWD platform is not to our appeal, but as far as the engine is concerned, K20s do but out power reliably. I've seen it first hand.

    Also, so I don't hijack the guys thread... nice kill with the Z.
    Where did you see that they were 6 bolt mains??

    "About the only drawback to this design is that it only uses two bolt mains, rather than the four bolt mains preferred by racers"

    http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74

  18. #18
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    well im goin to the shop on friday to check out how the RSX is coming along, friday it should be all done and is going to be a tune day for it. So will see how everything goes, he upgraded to 1000cc injectors as well and ill find out more info. He's told me whats done to the car but ive completely forgot about it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Where did you see that they were 6 bolt mains??

    "About the only drawback to this design is that it only uses two bolt mains, rather than the four bolt mains preferred by racers"

    http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74
    So you're telling me this is a 2 bolt main?



    Hrmmm.... looks 6 bolt me me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    i see a two bolt with a stud girdle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •