Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Your opinions please

I rarely do this, but this local guy wants to race, and he wants to race for money-$300. So I'm wondering if I stand a chance, I know he has a 97 cobra with a vortech S-trim, I'm not sure how much boost, or if he's cammed, what gears etc. that's all I know. From the research I've done they seem preety nasty, 450+hp. 400+ft. lbs.of tq. I'm not sure what they weigh, either. But I guess that doesn't matter considering he wants to go from a 30 roll.

My mods:
    Pacesetter LTs
    3in. OR mids
    SLP LMII exhaust
    custom tune
    ZEX 100hp. wet shot(stock fuel pump)

Do you guys think I could SAFELY run a 125hp. shot on the stock fuel pump and clutch?

Do you think I have a chance?

Come on guys, this is supposed to happen tomorrow, and I'm headed for work with no computer access until late tonight.

P.S. he figures he has 475hp.
    Last edited by 05gtoautoX; 05-08-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I have been running the 125 jets on a wet shot for about a year now with no issues. I would say with the spray it should be pretty even but more along the lines of driver error. How is your clutch work?
    Go for it and tells us how ya did.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

yeah I will, as soon as it happens. My clutch is fine so far, but I hate launching hard on N20 with it being stock,
    Last edited by 05gtoautoX; 05-08-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Im gonna say that you will probly beat him pretty good from a roll

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I presume you're around 375 rwhp N/A. With a 125 rwhp shot you should win that race from a roll as long as he simply has a lower boost Vortech and a few supporting mods. Most of the numbers for those cars running 7# are in the 400 - 430 rwhp range. His car is definitely lighter than yours, however I think with the juice you would have a decent power advantage.

As for running a 125 hp wet kit on a stock fuel pump, many guys do it all the time and haven't had any trouble.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I wouldn't do it. Bottom line is that he knows where he stands, but you don't know where he stands. That S-trim is capable of a lot more than 400 rwhp, your mods are not. So, race him if you're doing it for fun, but from a gambler's stand-point, it's a negative equity bet.

Chris

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

The key is he figures he has 475hp, sounds like he not very sure of himself or has ever had it on a dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post

P.S. he figures he has 475hp.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Well I talked to him today, and he said it's got a exhaust, no headers, CAI and of course the vortech S-trim. So I'll throw on the 125hp. shot and give her hell, he wants to go from a 40 roll now, because he said at 30 he's between gears, so I'm guessing he's geared as well, 30mph. is about the middle of 1st. for me, so if that's bottom of 2nd for him he must have 4.10s or so.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Bottom line is that he knows where he stands, but you don't know where he stands. That S-trim is capable of a lot more than 400 rwhp, your mods are not. So, race him if you're doing it for fun, but from a gambler's stand-point, it's a negative equity bet.

Chris
    You don't think I'm putting down more than 400rwhp? He's bringing a camera guy, so I'll get him to post the video when we're done. I have a full bottle, bottle heater all wired up, and just swapped to a 125hp. shot. If you look above at my last post he actually told me all his mods, or so he says(he seems like a preety truthful guy) so I'm thinking it will be a good race.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

is it goin down tonight?

10's N/A

I rarely do this, but this local guy wants to race, and he wants to race for money-$300. So I'm wondering if I stand a chance, I know he has a 97 cobra with a vortech S-trim, I'm not sure how much boost, or if he's cammed, what gears etc. that's all I know. From the research I've done they seem preety nasty, 450+hp. 400+ft. lbs.of tq. I'm not sure what they weigh, either. But I guess that doesn't matter considering he wants to go from a 30 roll.

My mods:
    Pacesetter LTs
    3in. OR mids
    SLP LMII exhaust
    custom tune
    ZEX 100hp. wet shot(stock fuel pump)
    Assuming your buddy has a stock short-block, you can usually get away with 10-12psi on the stock bottom. With supporting mods, that will most definitely put him over the 400rwhp mark. But with your mods on a 125 shot you'll be over that mark too, so I think it will be a good race. If I had to bet, I would put my money on your LS1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post

Chris
    Do you really believe a 125-shot on top of his bolt-ons won't push him past 400rwhp? You can't be serious.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    If I had to bet, I would put my money on your LS1.
    LS2*

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    LS2*
    Oh yeah, I didn't even pay attention to the year. I now definitely say the Goat will get the kill.

Black
    99 SS

Well I talked to him today, and he said it's got a exhaust, no headers, CAI and of course the vortech S-trim. So I'll throw on the 125hp. shot and give her hell, he wants to go from a 40 roll now, because he said at 30 he's between gears, so I'm guessing he's geared as well, 30mph. is about the middle of 1st. for me, so if that's bottom of 2nd for him he must have 4.10s or so.

if he does not have at LEAST headers then he is KILLING the boost with the S/C to the potential of what he could have, u will kill him im prertty sure about it

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

well, I got him by about 3-3.5 cars by 120mph on the first run from a 40 roll(2nd gear) the last one we went from a 60mph. roll and I had him by 4-5 cars at 120mph. I didn't get video of it because I forgot the camera, LOL. Anyway, he had shorty headers, CAI, Vortech S/C and full exhaust, he said he ran low-mid 12s. I actually pulled him all the way through the race though, I was pleasantly surprised.

10's N/A

Good Kill!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

well, I got him by about 3-3.5 cars by 120mph on the first run from a 40 roll(2nd gear) the last one we went from a 60mph. roll and I had him by 4-5 cars at 120mph. I didn't get video of it because I forgot the camera, LOL. Anyway, he had shorty headers, CAI, Vortech S/C and full exhaust, he said he ran low-mid 12s. I actually pulled him all the way through the race though, I was pleasantly surprised.
    What are you going to spend your $300 on?

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

I'm gonna give $200 to my wife for mothers day and tell her to do whatever she wants, then go buy some 7.62X39 rounds for my AK and go rabbit hunting on my B-day, may 14th. so yea.... it's gone, LOL

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

lol good kill! finally glad to hear someone actually kill a car they weere talking about racing on here. and sounds like good way to spend the money

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Nice!! Best race story Ive read in a while!! Props for running someone who actually had something worth wasting gas over. Congrats and good luck on those Rabbits LOL

Thread Information