Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Whooped by a Mazda

This is a discussion on Whooped by a Mazda within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by JesusFan I have an a4 no problems here They all have dead spots....depending on the rear gearing ...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFan View Post
    I have an a4 no problems here
    They all have dead spots....depending on the rear gearing they happen at different mph. Like in my auto with 3.23's, if i'd floor it at at 25mph and it would drop to first and pull...at 32ish it wouldn't downshift at all. Same went for around 40-45 and 70-75...try punching it at various speeds and you'll see the spots.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    They all have dead spots....depending on the rear gearing they happen at different mph. Like in my auto with 3.23's, if i'd floor it at at 25mph and it would drop to first and pull...at 32ish it wouldn't downshift at all. Same went for around 40-45 and 70-75...try punching it at various speeds and you'll see the spots.
    This is true unless you have work done. The one I was supposed to buy had bolt on's and a cam and it was bad ass!!! That car was scary fast!! Mine stock, not so scary.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by odarabla View Post
    Ok guys here it is. I don't have the SS anymore it's a long story, but I did pick up a 2002 Z28 today with 32,000 miles. Of course I had to go and show off the car to my friends but on the way back home there was this brand new Mazda SUV thing that kept screwing with me. So I told my self when he takes off again I am going to punch it and smoke this thing!! Boy was I wrong. I know it wasn't some suped up car. It still had the paper plate on the back. Well when he took off I waited for him to start pulling away (figuring I was gonna just wiz right past him). When I floored it ( at about 70mph) the damn thing kept pulling away from me!! My car don't really start to pull until around 3500 rpm. Once I started turning rpm's I started to catch him but that wasn't until about 120 mph. What do you guys think? I have attached some pics of the car. Should this have happened?

Is your car an A4? If not, try downshifting next time :P

Or you can let it slow down to just below 70 so you hit 2nd instead of 3rd in your A4... makes a BIG difference.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post

i have 3:23 and the sweet spot from a roll is 40-45, downshifts and pulls hard

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Is your car an A4? If not, try downshifting next time :P

Or you can let it slow down to just below 70 so you hit 2nd instead of 3rd in your A4... makes a BIG difference.
    Come on guys!! I might me a newby to this car but not to racing!! The car is an A4 with 3.23 gears. I wish I had a M6. But I had to take what I could get. These cars aren't a dime a dozen around here they are extremely hard to find and when you do find one they usually want 3-4 thousand above retail. The car seems to be running better and better. It breaks the tires lose now when it shifts into second. It didn't do that when I first bought the car. It seemed almost sluggish until around 4000 rpm. But now when I punch it off of the line it will roast the tires and roast them again when it shifts into second. I am starting to love to drive it. I can see my 2007 Avalanch staying parked alot. hehe!!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Come on guys!! I might me a newby to this car but not to racing!! The car is an A4 with 3.23 gears. I wish I had a M6. But I had to take what I could get. These cars aren't a dime a dozen around here they are extremely hard to find and when you do find one they usually want 3-4 thousand above retail. The car seems to be running better and better. It breaks the tires lose now when it shifts into second. It didn't do that when I first bought the car. It seemed almost sluggish until around 4000 rpm. But now when I punch it off of the line it will roast the tires and roast them again when it shifts into second. I am starting to love to drive it. I can see my 2007 Avalanch staying parked alot. hehe!!

sounds like it just needed the soot blowed out of it.......next time the mazda will be killed

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

sounds like it just needed the soot blowed out of it.......next time the mazda will be killed

Where that Mazda at?? Ya'll seen it? I took such an ass whoopen on here for that. That when I see him I'm gonna pull away so fast he's going to need a new paint job come morning!! As part of redemption I took out some of my angers on a poor defenseless Mustang GT, Bullet. It was a sad day for the Mustang people because I sure rapped that poor helpless car!!

Pewter
    02 Z28

I have an a4 no problems here
    mine has no problems either but I know it has dead spots and its good to know at what speed's so you dont loose a race you shouldnt
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Time for a stall on that 02 Z28.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Empatho View Post
    mine has no problems either but I know it has dead spots and its good to know at what speed's so you dont loose a race you shouldnt
    I figured out a trick for that 70-75 mph roll. works the same at 40-45 mph. I was on the interstate and brought my car up to 68 and punched it. It down shifted to 2nd and ran to about 88mph before it shifted to 3rd. I ran it up to 70mph and it only down shifted to 3rd (the dead spot). I brought it back down to 70 and manualy shifted it to 2nd. The motor tached up to about 4200rpm and took off like a bat out of hell. Same thing at 40-45 mph I manualy shifted it to first revd up to about 4200rpm and luanched like it had wings. Also tomarrow I am going to take a ride over to Thunder Racing and see if they can throw on the headers and Y pipe.. HEHE!!!

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Ok, here it is!! I Went and had the exhaust changed and then stopped off at Thunder Racing. They couldn't do the headers today but he said he could do a tune a lid and a K&N filter on the car. When he went to do the tune we found that the car had already been tuned. It was tuned for a more aggresive cam. The car also had headers on it. But who ever had the car pulled the headers and the cam off and put the stock parts back on the car before trading it in. The car was running way to rich and it was causing the motor to bogg down. After the new tune and the lid it feels like a whole new car. Now this thing is fun to drive!! If I could only find that damn Mazda now I caould peel the paint off his ride!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Don't worry. It's actually a good thinng. You probably gave this Mazda owner false confidence in his car. He will tell all his freinds that he beat a Camaro with it and people will think Camaro's are slow. This in turn will replenish the population of uninformed and overconfident motorists who will now become easy prey for LS1 owners everywhere.

11 second club!!

Red
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    Don't worry. It's actually a good thinng. You probably gave this Mazda owner false confidence in his car. He will tell all his freinds that he beat a Camaro with it and people will think Camaro's are slow. This in turn will replenish the population of uninformed and overconfident motorists who will now become easy prey for LS1 owners everywhere.

LOL!! This may be true!!

Pewter
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    you're right we will get more races

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

[QUOTE=odarabla;983684] There was some black looking liquid that came out of the exhaust pipes onto the ground. It wasn't slick like oil but it was chalky followed by a little bit of smoke. My friend said that it wasn't nothing to worry about. QUOTE]

That is water that is condensing from the humid air, it turns black because it picks up carbon on the way out through the exhaust.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I figured out a trick for that 70-75 mph roll. works the same at 40-45 mph. I was on the interstate and brought my car up to 68 and punched it. It down shifted to 2nd and ran to about 88mph before it shifted to 3rd. I ran it up to 70mph and it only down shifted to 3rd (the dead spot). I brought it back down to 70 and manualy shifted it to 2nd. The motor tached up to about 4200rpm and took off like a bat out of hell. Same thing at 40-45 mph I manualy shifted it to first revd up to about 4200rpm and luanched like it had wings. Also tomarrow I am going to take a ride over to Thunder Racing and see if they can throw on the headers and Y pipe.. HEHE!!!
    I dremel'd the throttle stop down a little on mine to solve that problem worked like a charm. Gotta be careful though and get something that can detect the TPS voltage while doing it though don't want to go too far. But took care of having to drop it down myself (don't really know why). 80 MPH punches are a little more fun with the 2.73's though. Downshifts to 2nd and a tad over 4500 shifts out right at 100. Highway runs are way more fun with the 2.73's everyone I know that switched without a stall didn't like the kickdown they lost.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Maybe it was a Mazdaspeed 3

Engine type Type-L3T 2.3L Direct Injection Spark Ignition
    (DISI) Turbocharged 16-valve 4-cylinder
    Peak horsepower 263 @ 5500 RPM
    Torque (lb.-ft.) 280 @ 3000 RPM
    Redline 6500
    Curb 3153lbs

They are fairly quick with good torque down low.

I was looking at one of these for a daily driver for Downtown SF. My 50 mile commute home would be pretty quick.

0-60 in 5.8 ain't bad. In the right gear .... it could pull for a 30mph stretch as seen here.

I geared down, to only 3.73, bought a Shanner S2 for quick response, and use my 3rd in the M6. I have to be careful not to smoke the tires at 70mph. I could believe the response difference over stock with the polished/ ported / modded throttle body. Of course a few other mods.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 10-11-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I almost bought one of those after I test drove it. I acutally like it more than the Evo/STI. Its alot more DD friendly.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    i have 3:23 and the sweet spot from a roll is 40-45, downshifts and pulls hard
    what do you downshift to?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information