Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

whoopass on a 96 cobra!!

This is a discussion on whoopass on a 96 cobra!! within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Well I have only had it built this way for a couple months and I dont drive it much, but ...

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

Well I have only had it built this way for a couple months and I dont drive it much, but I am running a decent size cam, 228/232, heads, LS6 intake, LTs, ORY, catback, Lid, Lots of suspension, Nitto DRs, and a 125 shot(I have yet to fill the bottle, havent needed it yet). I am guessing I am sitting at about 410 RWHP on motor, maybe 500+ on the bottle(if I ever fill it). I have beat 6 Mustangs(1 fox body, 1 96 or so Cobra, 1 regular 96ish GT, the bullit previously mentioned with mods, and 1 new one with at least exhaust, it was loud) so far and a few LT1s.

I did have a Hemi Charger with at least an exhaust, stay within 3 cars of me, but I think I have a problem now cause it feels sluggish, sputtering some on accell.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

Oh, no track times yet. No doubt there are faster Mustangs, but the average wise ass Mustang driver just doesnt have a clue. Its a V8 and has some grunt when you add Flowmasters, so it must be fast.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The average wise-ass Mustang owner is pretty much synonomous with the average wise-ass F-body owner - except that there are twice as many of them. However, based on your mods, you certainly should be the average Mustang.

Sounds like you have a nice 12 second (11 on bottle) car there. Lot of miles though....don't know if I'd want to do much spraying.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    5.0 parts are cheap tho
    You are right. But those OHC 4.6 2V engines are a waste. A dead zone between the old school hot rod 5.0 and the very nice 3V engine that currently resides in the GT.

I would take a 5.0 Fox body any day over any Mustang with a OHC 2V engine.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea im not a big fan of how the foxbodies look so I rather have like a 94-95 mustang with the 5.0 and any newer model as long as its not the 2V 4.6 liter.

As for the comment earlier about shitting on a bullit, im not suprised. they are slower then the GTs lol.

I take it you havent went up against an 03-04 cobra yet? They will shit on LS1s (stock for stock) but not by much, but it wouldnt matter to you anyways becasue your pretty built anyways. the 03-04 cobras come with 390 to the crank and thats with a supercharged 4v 4.6

Red?
    2001 Z28

I take it you havent went up against an 03-04 cobra yet? They will shit on LS1s (stock for stock) but not by much, but it wouldnt matter to you anyways becasue your pretty built anyways. the 03-04 cobras come with 390 to the crank and thats with a supercharged 4v 4.6
    Actually, like the LS1s, the Termis are underrated. I've seen totally stock ones lay anywhere from 360-380 to the wheels. It takes little in the way of mods for an LS1 to run with or beat a stock '03-'04 Cobra, but good luck in finding a stock one. It's ridiculous how cheaply and easily a Termi can be launched deep into the 11s.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea its not hard to get the terminators in the 11s but also the price tag on the terminators are pretty high. It would be cheaper to buy and ls1 and spend more on mods get it in the 11s over just buying a terminator.
    Plus LS1s are cheaper on insurance

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Yea its not hard to get the terminators in the 11s but also the price tag on the terminators are pretty high. It would be cheaper to buy and ls1 and spend more on mods get it in the 11s over just buying a terminator.

you read my mind.

Red?
    2001 Z28

I think the "bang for the buck" comparison between the Termi and the LS1 F-body is dependent on what your goals happen to be. Certainly one could purchase an LS1 F-body and mod it into an 11-second car cheaper than can be accomplished with purchasing a Cobra and doing the same. A Cobra's real advantage comes into play with those who wish to get more serious in the mod game. For example, An LS1 owner can add FI to their car, and annihilate stock Cobras. Beyond this point is where the Cobra has a big advantage. A stock short-blocked FI LS1 is no match for a blown Cobra when it comes to power production. The Termi's powerplant is built for boost, already having lower compression and a rock solid bottom end, and will be much more reliable. You'll blow a stock short-blocked LS1 apart LONG before you have anything at all to worry about(engine-wise) from the Terminator. Now if you build the LS1 from the ground up for boost, with lower compression and forged internals, then it becomes a whole new ball of wax. Of course, at that point, the cost of modifying the LS1 to that level will far exceed the cost of modding the Cobra to the same point.

As far as the insurance is concerned, obviously someone your age is going to pay more than someone 10-15 years older. In my case, I intend to unload my Z for a C5. I called my insurance guy Wednesday, and was told that it would only cost me an additional $54.34 every 6-months over what I currently pay for my '01 Z28, to insure an '02 ZO6 Corvette. That's with full coverage and the same liability coverage, and, as a business owner, I have considerable liability coverage. I doubt the Terminators would be much higher to insure(if at all) than a Corvette. Of course, it helps to be 30ish with a clean driving record.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well insurance on a cobra will be higher regardless just because it has a supercharger. But yea if you want to go all out and build a cobra and camaro all out and make em into drag cars I believe its going to be a good race and either way a lot of money is going to go into it.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

If you want to go "all out" and build a drag car for cheap, start with a Fox-Body Mustang.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

yea thats true but IMHO the foxbodies are ugly

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

IMHO they're not.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

lol everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if I absolutly had to get a foxbody I would go with an LX body over the GT. I can stand an LX with bullit rims hehe

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Stalker View Post
    Actually, like the LS1s, the Termis are underrated. I've seen totally stock ones lay anywhere from 360-380 to the wheels. It takes little in the way of mods for an LS1 to run with or beat a stock '03-'04 Cobra, but good luck in finding a stock one. It's ridiculous how cheaply and easily a Termi can be launched deep into the 11s.
    As far as it takes a list of mods for a stock ls1 to take a stock cobra, i have jsut headers, catback and a lid and im running high tens, most stock cobras make 370rwhp, but when you combine that with IRS and the fact that they weigh around 200 more pounds than my T/A most people in stock cobras turn low 13s , good drivers at 12.7s-12.9s which is what my cars runs with just 3 bolt ons. Now i ahve seen stock cobras run the 1/4mile at 112mph wit h12.8s and 12.9s i can only get my car to a 12.8 at 110mph, not too far off.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    As far as it takes a list of mods for a stock ls1 to take a stock cobra, i have jsut headers, catback and a lid and im running high tens, most stock cobras make 370rwhp, but when you combine that with IRS and the fact that they weigh around 200 more pounds than my T/A most people in stock cobras turn low 13s , good drivers at 12.7s-12.9s which is what my cars runs with just 3 bolt ons. Now i ahve seen stock cobras run the 1/4mile at 112mph wit h12.8s and 12.9s i can only get my car to a 12.8 at 110mph, not too far off.

And what everyone might be missing is that those new Cobras have a supercharger. I have a buddy with a supercharger on his 98 LS1, along with headers and a catback, otherwise stock, putting 407hp to the wheels. So now comparing apples to apples(both cars with superchargers), the LS1 is still a force to be reckoned with. And this is on a 10 year old car.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by mnypitZ View Post
    And what everyone might be missing is that those new Cobras have a supercharger. I have a buddy with a supercharger on his 98 LS1, along with headers and a catback, otherwise stock, putting 407hp to the wheels. So now comparing apples to apples(both cars with superchargers), the LS1 is still a force to be reckoned with. And this is on a 10 year old car.
    Oh boy, here we go again. If one wishes to play that game (you know...."apples to apples" and such), then include the Cobra guys arguement that goes "if I had 5.7 liters"....etc, etc.

Both are equally dumb.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    As far as it takes a list of mods for a stock ls1 to take a stock cobra, i have jsut headers, catback and a lid and im running high tens,....
    I'm pretty sure you didn't mean high tens....unless your talking an 1/8th mile, in which case it becomes believable.

PS...good drivers run 12.4 to 12.6 in stock Cobra.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

lol everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if I absolutly had to get a foxbody I would go with an LX body over the GT. I can stand an LX with bullit rims hehe
    LX trunk model 5.0, the lightest, and in my opinion the second best looking Fox ever. First place, the 1993 Cobra of course.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

How much of a weight difference is there between the LX and GT

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information