Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

who should win?

This is a discussion on who should win? within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I am talking both, and already mentioned how a distributor swap wouldn't work well in a ...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I am talking both, and already mentioned how a distributor swap wouldn't work well in a 4th gen in my previous post. In which case the swap to coil per cylinder would be a good alternative.
    I'm eager to talk to a local here with a "built LT1" and see how much money in parts he has on his car, and what he's putting down. Track times are too arguable, but I'll see if he has any under his belt.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've had two LT1 cars a few years back, and it seemed like anything over 400RWHP and people were stroking. Not many LT1 guys around here to talk to, and most shops don't even want to bother with them. Well, they didn't then. Like I said, to each their own, and as of now, I have yet to buy the fact that you can hit the same marks with either platform, mod-for-mod, or even dollar-for-dollar. Technology has come a long way in the past few years, but until I see something concrete, I'll stick with the LS1

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I'm eager to talk to a local here with a "built LT1" and see how much money in parts he has on his car, and what he's putting down. Track times are too arguable, but I'll see if he has any under his belt.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've had two LT1 cars a few years back, and it seemed like anything over 400RWHP and people were stroking. Not many LT1 guys around here to talk to, and most shops don't even want to bother with them. Well, they didn't then. Like I said, to each their own, and as of now, I have yet to buy the fact that you can hit the same marks with either platform, mod-for-mod, or even dollar-for-dollar. Technology has come a long way in the past few years, but until I see something concrete, I'll stick with the LS1
    Oh common now, different platforms compare easily. Ever watch the engine masters challenge?? The LS platforms have been allowed in there, but they have yet to take the title.
    I'm not trying to knock the LS platform, it's shown to be great so far. As far as penny pinching dollar-for-dollar,,,,well that can go on either side of the fence. It costs money to play, and if you are serious about making power money can't be too much of a concern. I understand we all have budgets, however, the LS platform is not the cheapest to get into by any means.
    As far as LT1's and rwhp I have a little experience in that area. You can top 400 rwhp without stroking an LT1. A good friend of mine bought a 97 new. It wasn't long before he had Lingenfelter build the little 355 for it. Ported stock heads, custom cam, ported stock intake, Lingenfelter tuned it.
    6 speed car running 4.10 gears. I can't remember exact HP numbers but I know it was well north of 400 rwhp. We raced the car extensively, and it actually became a test mule for exhaust systems.
    Right off the bat it went 11.60's at 119 mph, all motor. After several exhaust systems, a switch to a 12 bolt with more gear (4.30's) eventually the car was going bottom 11's at 121 mph.
    No sneaky weight reduction on this car either. It was just a tick over 3600 with him driving. I remember alot of great running LT1's around that time frame as well.
    Now it's hard to even find a tuner that messes with the software for the cars. It's not surprising to me that even comparing an LT1 to the LS platform is almost an impossibility now. How many good running LT's are out there left?? Even the last of the 4th gen LS1's are reaching 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Track times are too arguable, but I'll see if he has any under his belt.

until I see something concrete, I'll stick with the LS1

You are right, track times have alot of variables, DA, Driver, Suspension setup, to name a few.
    Dyno's are the same way as well. They vary from place to place, so it's not a good measure of performance comparisons either.
    You would have to stick with the same dyno for tuning, and keep track of DA readings at the track as well as 60 foot times for an honest comparison. Not many people go through all that trouble, especially a bunch of street car guys out looking to have a good time.
    I still find the track to be the best solution. After all, in the end it's who gets to the finish line first,,,right?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh common now, different platforms compare easily. Ever watch the engine masters challenge?? The LS platforms have been allowed in there, but they have yet to take the title.
    I'm not trying to knock the LS platform, it's shown to be great so far. As far as penny pinching dollar-for-dollar,,,,well that can go on either side of the fence. It costs money to play, and if you are serious about making power money can't be too much of a concern. I understand we all have budgets, however, the LS platform is not the cheapest to get into by any means.
    As far as LT1's and rwhp I have a little experience in that area. You can top 400 rwhp without stroking an LT1. A good friend of mine bought a 97 new. It wasn't long before he had Lingenfelter build the little 355 for it. Ported stock heads, custom cam, ported stock intake, Lingenfelter tuned it.
    6 speed car running 4.10 gears. I can't remember exact HP numbers but I know it was well north of 400 rwhp. We raced the car extensively, and it actually became a test mule for exhaust systems.
    Right off the bat it went 11.60's at 119 mph, all motor. After several exhaust systems, a switch to a 12 bolt with more gear (4.30's) eventually the car was going bottom 11's at 121 mph.
    No sneaky weight reduction on this car either. It was just a tick over 3600 with him driving. I remember alot of great running LT1's around that time frame as well.
    Now it's hard to even find a tuner that messes with the software for the cars. It's not surprising to me that even comparing an LT1 to the LS platform is almost an impossibility now. How many good running LT's are out there left?? Even the last of the 4th gen LS1's are reaching 10 years old.
    Not much LTx developement being done these days due to the LSx platform being released.

While the LTx has potential why further develop a dying platform?

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Not much LTx developement being done these days due to the LSx platform being released.

While the LTx has potential why further develop a dying platform?
    That's what they said about the Gen 1, but it keeps growing. The problem with the Gen 2 is it's short life span of 6 years.
    Just wasn't around long enough to catch on. By the time the aftermarket caught on the LS platform was already in the works. No sense in investing money in something that wasn't going to be around long.

The Gen 1 however has had the luxury of being around since 1955. It's popularity was increased further for it's ability to swap parts and be interchangable, for nearly 50 years.

The LS platform hasn't been as friendly, and I can't help but wonder how long the LS platform will be around. If GM changes direction again and makes a big change, it could make LS engine obsolete as well. With such a short production span (97 to present) there still isn't alot to go around.

I personally hope it continues to grow though. Only time will tell.

By the way Jim, BJ is coming up, and I plan to hit the Pavilions within the next couple weeks. You going to be around?

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

found out more info! They just got it dyno tuned and put down 330 whp and 342rwt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information