Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678925 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 583

When Racing Cobra's, have your FACTS STRAIGHT!!

This is a discussion on When Racing Cobra's, have your FACTS STRAIGHT!! within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; ...

  1. #81
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra View Post
    only mustang i wouldn’t be ashamed to be seen in......
    Tell me about it...that R-model is so frickin SWEET!

  2. #82
    Senior Member predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,256
    1966 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    I beg to differ, sir! I raced an 03 Cobra at the track and beat it when my car was stock! He was a good driver. Of course I only beat it by .18 of a second, but that was about 2 cars.
    what mods? they are 390 hp... prolly more like 350 to the ground... and the same weight, if not lighter than you are (depends on vert or hard top)... i test drove a vert Term a few weekends ago (it was pullied with cat back ill give you that), but that was a NASTY son of a bitch... im not saying srt 8 sedan nasty... im saying outright SKANKY bitch... it scared me more than a head, cam, intake ws6 i drove in the rain a few months back... thing was fuggin bad...

    to tell you the honest truth i was gonna trade my vette in for it, but they wouldnt deal with me on it they had a price they wanted and wouldnt come down to get it to a straight across trade... hmmm ok so its a stang, but its a vert that has 4 seats... and it will smoke... and i mean SMOKE my vette... yeah ill take that...

    are you sure you werent up against a 99/01? i mean you may be the exact reason for this thread...

    -me

    edit: yeah i see now you say when my car was stock... i call BS... if it was a term he spun through the first 3 gears... a stock term will hand you your ass and its really really really hard to find one that doesnt atleas have a pulley, full exhaust and a tune... and with that simple stuff they are more like 400 rwhp... you lined up a new edge... not a term i assure you...
    Last edited by predator; 08-21-2006 at 09:17 AM.

  3. #83
    Senior Member cam02ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    what mods? they are 390 hp... prolly more like 350 to the ground... and the same weight, if not lighter than you are (depends on vert or hard top)... i test drove a vert Term a few weekends ago (it was pullied with cat back ill give you that), but that was a NASTY son of a bitch... im not saying srt 8 sedan nasty... im saying outright SKANKY bitch... it scared me more than a head, cam, intake ws6 i drove in the rain a few months back... thing was fuggin bad...

    to tell you the honest truth i was gonna trade my vette in for it, but they wouldnt deal with me on it they had a price they wanted and wouldnt come down to get it to a straight across trade... hmmm ok so its a stang, but its a vert that has 4 seats... and it will smoke... and i mean SMOKE my vette... yeah ill take that...

    are you sure you werent up against a 99/01? i mean you may be the exact reason for this thread...

    -me

    edit: yeah i see now you say when my car was stock... i call BS... if it was a term he spun through the first 3 gears... a stock term will hand you your ass and its really really really hard to find one that doesnt atleas have a pulley, full exhaust and a tune... and with that simple stuff they are more like 400 rwhp... you lined up a new edge... not a term i assure you...
    so then explain to me why when i raced my one buddie's 04 cobra making 485/527 to the wheels pullied, tuned, exhaust, etc. to my 400/366 cam only SS i edged him out on the first race and was dead even with him the 2nd run? you can search for that post as well if you'd like. it's an older one but should still be in this section.
    Pink wire loom.
    Awesome.

  4. #84
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Like I said before you want to compete with a Cobra, just take it to some corners, and make sure you can drive your car. You will beat them every time! *under the circumstance you can drive your car equally or better then they can driver theirs*

    Beyond that, be prepared to get a good race, people don't build gt's too much , they build cobras. And I can say that having alot of friends who are big Mustang fans, and are involved in alot of racing with them. My best line, is too bad you wont ever catch me top end, and you wont touch me on a autox tack. They admit it, have a laugh and tell me to drag them.....

  5. #85
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    so then explain to me why when i raced my one buddie's 04 cobra making 485/527 to the wheels pullied, tuned, exhaust, etc. to my 400/366 cam only SS i edged him out on the first race and was dead even with him the 2nd run? you can search for that post as well if you'd like. it's an older one but should still be in this section.
    Very simple, not only do you weigh a few hundred lbs less, the Fbodies do pull a bit harder in low gears, where we lose it is the 2nd-3rd shift. I have read this many times in articles comparing the two cars. Try to get one already doing 70-80mph, and see where you land, back a few car lengths within a few seconds.

  6. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    edit: yeah i see now you say when my car was stock... i call BS... if it was a term he spun through the first 3 gears... a stock term will hand you your ass and its really really really hard to find one that doesnt atleas have a pulley, full exhaust and a tune... and with that simple stuff they are more like 400 rwhp... you lined up a new edge... not a term i assure you...
    Not a term, or simply a bad shifter, thats the only explinations. Factory they will keep up with a Z06 on the strip, and our factory f-bodies can't touch them with a good driver. So either it wasn't a Eaton Blown 4.6L and a 6spd, or it was a bad driver.

    I drove a guys '03 when I lived in Colorado, he let me drive it after I raced him in my gf's STI, that car was something else! Trust me if anything gave me any level of respect for the Mustang again, that was it right there. Granted they said they couldn't build it and keep it n/a which give me a look down on it, or more so on the ability of the 4.6L. But that car is straight whiplash. FYI his was completely stock yet.

  7. #87
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    I raced one with a 2.73, a loud exhaust, from 80 to 140 like three times on the highway. (supposedly this is like 450 plus rwhp)

    RESULTS: DEAD EVEN

    And I got 372/367.

    How does that work into your theory nikos?

    The guy seemed absolutely astonished that I even hung with him???

  8. #88
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by nikos95 View Post
    Not a term, or simply a bad shifter, thats the only explinations. Factory they will keep up with a Z06 on the strip, and our factory f-bodies can't touch them with a good driver. So either it wasn't a Eaton Blown 4.6L and a 6spd, or it was a bad driver.

    Motor Trend tested a stock 03 vette vs. a stock 03 cobra, and the vette barely edged the 03 in the 1/4. That wasn't a Z06 though. The Z06 is lighter than the regular one with about 50 or more ponies. So how do you figure?

  9. #89
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Motor Trend tested a stock 03 vette vs. a stock 03 cobra, and the vette barely edged the 03 in the 1/4. That wasn't a Z06 though. The Z06 is lighter than the regular one with about 50 or more ponies. So how do you figure?
    Ohh my mistake, I could have swore the article said the Z06. Read it last night, lack of sleep for 3 days lol. But if I am correct they were still saying what almost 12 flat on the '03 Cobra, like 12.2 or soemthing like that?

  10. #90
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I raced one with a 2.73, a loud exhaust, from 80 to 140 like three times on the highway. (supposedly this is like 450 plus rwhp)

    RESULTS: DEAD EVEN

    And I got 372/367.

    How does that work into your theory nikos?

    The guy seemed absolutely astonished that I even hung with him???
    I would say supposedly he doesn't know how much power he has, and his gears are a little to wide for his own good. 2.73s, maybe if he wants to top out at 200+.

  11. #91
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by nikos95 View Post
    I would say supposedly he doesn't know how much power he has, and his gears are a little to wide for his own good. 2.73s, maybe if he wants to top out at 200+.
    He didn't know the rwhp, so yeah, I think he prolly had some kind of mail order chip or sumthin'. Plus, it was spewin' carbon when he punched it, like the A/F mixture wasn't right.

  12. #92
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by nikos95 View Post
    Ohh my mistake, I could have swore the article said the Z06. Read it last night, lack of sleep for 3 days lol. But if I am correct they were still saying what almost 12 flat on the '03 Cobra, like 12.2 or soemthing like that?
    I think Evan Smith from MM&FF got a stock one to go 12.5 or sumthin'? Yeah, somewhere in the low/mid 12's. Impressive, for sure.

  13. #93
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    He didn't know the rwhp, so yeah, I think he prolly had some kind of mail order chip or sumthin'. Plus, it was spewin' carbon when he punched it, like the A/F mixture wasn't right.
    Lol ya thats not too pretty.... Should reall focus on a good tune. A guy from around here had a '05 GTO, it was running way way rich from the factory for who knows why, after a good dyno tune, he gained like 90rwhp, and 10 or so mpg, in completely stock form...

  14. #94
    Senior Member cam02ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by nikos95 View Post
    Very simple, not only do you weigh a few hundred lbs less, the Fbodies do pull a bit harder in low gears, where we lose it is the 2nd-3rd shift. I have read this many times in articles comparing the two cars. Try to get one already doing 70-80mph, and see where you land, back a few car lengths within a few seconds.
    not only did his car weigh in less than mine, a kid who i ran into saturday night with an 03 cobra weighed in less than mine also. 3500 something to my 3600 something. i dunno where your car "loses it" but mine certainly doesn't lose anything in the 2nd 3rd shift. out of curiosity..how would you call that racing from 80 mph..besides NASCAR..which this isn't. go from a dig or a 1st gear roll if you have to. i don't doubt that they would be more in their prime up top.

  15. #95
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    not only did his car weigh in less than mine, a kid who i ran into saturday night with an 03 cobra weighed in less than mine also. 3500 something to my 3600 something. i dunno where your car "loses it" but mine certainly doesn't lose anything in the 2nd 3rd shift. out of curiosity..how would you call that racing from 80 mph..besides NASCAR..which this isn't. go from a dig or a 1st gear roll if you have to. i don't doubt that they would be more in their prime up top.
    I made a mistake there, that was for comparrison tests between the Z28 and the Mach1, the Mach1 takes it on the 2-3 shift from the z28 on a series of runs.

    And 3600 I am guessing you have a convertible?
    And the 2003 Cobra coupe weighs in at 3665 bone stock,
    3780 in a convertible, that puts the base model heavier than a stock coupe fbody, and same goes with comparrison of convertibles. Some of this was my mistake, in here, I had alot of things running in my head, and I think the 80mph part was from the Mach1 Mustang.

    But as far as an 80mph race off, I have done them many times..
    *all on closed circuits of course *

  16. #96
    Senior Member predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,256
    1966 Corvette Coupe

    so a non supercharged dohc 4.6 with 315 hp and a 5 speed will walk an ls1.... are we all clear that a 390 hp 6 speed supercharged 4.6 will blast past one?

    and the curve argument? i dont get it... they are IRS... im not saying anything for sure because i havent seen skid pad results, but im pretty sure even a new edge will out handle a ws6...

    -me

  17. #97
    Senior Member cam02ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by nikos95 View Post
    I made a mistake there, that was for comparrison tests between the Z28 and the Mach1, the Mach1 takes it on the 2-3 shift from the z28 on a series of runs.

    And 3600 I am guessing you have a convertible?
    And the 2003 Cobra coupe weighs in at 3665 bone stock,
    3780 in a convertible, that puts the base model heavier than a stock coupe fbody, and same goes with comparrison of convertibles. Some of this was my mistake, in here, I had alot of things running in my head, and I think the 80mph part was from the Mach1 Mustang.

    But as far as an 80mph race off, I have done them many times..
    *all on closed circuits of course *
    nope, i have a coupe..then again i've never weighed mine so i actually have no idea what it weighs. i was told by many people that they weigh anywhere from mid 3500s-3700 something. so my mistake there. maybe that guy got luck then? he just told me that it weighed around 3550 so maybe he was wrong.

    as for the mach..im confused. are you saying that the mach or the z28 loses some ground on the 2nd-3rd shift?

  18. #98
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87

    Black/Purple Marble
    1995 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    nope, i have a coupe..then again i've never weighed mine so i actually have no idea what it weighs. i was told by many people that they weigh anywhere from mid 3500s-3700 something. so my mistake there. maybe that guy got luck then? he just told me that it weighed around 3550 so maybe he was wrong.

    as for the mach..im confused. are you saying that the mach or the z28 loses some ground on the 2nd-3rd shift?
    It's something like on the 2-3 shift from the Z28 the mach takes the lead, and wins the 1/4 by around .1-.2 seconds I believe if I remember correctly. Its not alot, its just the closer gear ratios in the Z28 cost it the loss, thats the way they said it when they traded cars even the Mach1 still beat the ls1 Z28 in the 1/4mile.

  19. #99
    Senior Member cam02ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    2,139
    ok, yea that makes sence

  20. #100
    Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    716

    Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

    Motor Trend tested a stock 03 vette vs. a stock 03 cobra, and the vette barely edged the 03 in the 1/4. That wasn't a Z06 though. The Z06 is lighter than the regular one with about 50 or more ponies. So how do you figure?[/QUOTE]

    Also these cars were both convertables, if Im not mistaking.
    More weight. I also think Motor trend is off on there numbers (example: The new article were they have the new GT 500 losing to a non zo6 vette, come on, MMFF got the GT 500 to 12.4, they only get it to 12.9 plus MMFF got the 03 cobra (stock) to a 12.7) Also the terminators will pull a .90 g on the corners, that is better than a ws6 and tied with 97-04 vette.

    My 2003 cobra has waxed all the vettes Ive raced so far.
    Including the 02 zo6. I have not raced a 06 zo6 yet, but have raced many 06 400 horse vettes. They always lose. Granted Ive only had my Terminator for 2 weeks. By the way, I love GM cars. I miss how it felt to sit down in my Trans Am, instead of up in the air, I am not confortable in my new Car, But it sure is fast, if you can reach third and fith gear without sitting up in your chair. I need a short throw shifter bad!

    Mods include: 2.8 supercharger pulley, Sport Tuned- 14 pounds of boost, knn cone filter, no cats x pipe, flowmaster cat back, and oh yeah...... Chrome Cobra letters!! (thats good for at least 10 horses)
    Last edited by preston1980; 08-23-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678925 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang - Return Of The Cobra Jets
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
  2. Ford 428 Cobra Jet Build - Deadly Cobra - Engine T
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
  3. Mr T facts
    By Nastyfoot in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM
  4. Pinks:All Out [New series, straight heads-up racing]
    By Warbird in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
  5. facts to ponder
    By Zboner in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 11:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •