Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122 ... LastLast

When Racing Cobra's, have your FACTS STRAIGHT!!

This is a discussion on When Racing Cobra's, have your FACTS STRAIGHT!! within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru I have heard some GTs that sound great but they are still slow, i dont ...

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I have heard some GTs that sound great but they are still slow, i dont know if its the iron block or the firing order, but stangs do sound better, generally speaking
    True dual exhaust.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by fabrizi View Post
    Thanks, now as for mods go...Can you take a stock cobra, slap a KB and a BAP on there and be good to go? Or are there other supporting mods needed? What's all the concern with the IRS too, by the way? Headers a waste of money? As for a stock eaton, what's the best pulley combo? I have tons of questions so I'll stop there for now...
    Thanks ahead!

With a KB or ported eaton all you need is Accufab TB (actually dont need it but it does make power and throttle response is day and night),60lb injectors,BAP and an SCT 2400 MAF or Mafia (so the meter does not peg 5 volts). You dont need an aftermarket heat exchanger.

You could use some Metco idlers so they do not tear, yes the stock steel idlers will tear like plastic under boost from KB or Ported eaton. I have peeled 2 of them. Always run a Gates belt. KB only supplies Gates with thier kits FYI.

The Ported eaton and stock eaton for that matter are maxed at 16-17lbs and that would be a 2.8 upper and a 4lb lower BUT if you run any lower than a 2lb you run the risk of eating alternators even with the correct alternator pulley. It just stays spinning too fast and heats up. Stick with a 2lb lower, never had a problem with the 2lb lower.

Headers give very little and are not even recomended by KB either with thier kits. They made 10HP on the ENGINE DYNO but Im sure you could tune for more but for what they cost and pain to install, no way. I have stock manifolds.

IRS will be weak at anything over 450rwhp with a sticky tire. They do have wheel hop but when I installed Nitto's in place of street tires the wheel hop was gone 100%. They do sell Level 5 halfshafts if you choose to keep the IRS and IT does ride better with the IRS but you also save 118lbs swaping a live axle in. I weighed it in my shop. No worries now with anything breaking.

The stock clutch even holds decent to 500rwhp. It only started to slip when I got the KB and now that I have the Spec 3+ I do notice It was slipping, now when I hit in 2nd gear, the car wants to throw you into the back seat no lie. Very forceful.

Ask anything you want until the guys get sick of reading of 03 Cobras, then you can shoot me PM's. It is good info to know though for everyone.

Ive built 3 LS1's too all things being fair.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    True dual exhaust.
    Agreed. When the new Camaro comes out with a proper full dual system, it will sound perfect. No raspiness at all I'm sure.

C6 H/C/N20

You guys have to see this guy from LS1tech. This is the best swap from an LT1 to LS1 I have ever seen. I'm impressed! Look at all the pics until the end, the car looks brand new....its a 94!

http://re.smugmug.com/gallery/267980#10591691

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

cobras

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

yeah, they sound sweet, at the dealership where i used to work, we took off my buddies flowmaster catback off his 97 gt and put magnaflow catback on there and it sounded beautiful. slow as christmas but damn

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey preston, when did you get a vette?

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    hey preston, when did you get a vette?
    What! Preston, you sly fkr you, you went and got a vette didn't ya!

A 99 FRC too, man I have been looking to get me one of those. I wish I could put the motor out of my Z into one. That would be a badd mammajamma!

This cat had a bad 03 cobra too, man you must be made of money....

We need pics man! ASAP

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    Ask anything you want until the guys get sick of reading of 03 Cobras, then you can shoot me PM's. It is good info to know though for everyone.

Ive built 3 LS1's too all things being fair.
    Wow, thanks for the very thorough response, that def answered my questions. What's needed suspension wise for the car to handle the hp/tq @ launch? Would you suggest running just pulley's on a stock eaton with no other supporting mods? Is that even possible? What are the options (besides a live axle and rear seat delete) to reduce the weight of the cobra?

C6 H/C/N20

Wow, thanks for the very thorough response, that def answered my questions. What's needed suspension wise for the car to handle the hp/tq @ launch? Would you suggest running just pulley's on a stock eaton with no other supporting mods? Is that even possible? What are the options (besides a live axle and rear seat delete) to reduce the weight of the cobra?

Actually with Level 5 halfshafts, IRS brace and full length sub frame connectors it will take all you can throw at it. Also, 3600 lbs is not really heavy. It is about 150-200 heavier than F-bodies but it is just a bit lighter than GTO's. You wont notice it with the Eaton's low end TQ.

I would get a ported eaton from day one and just run a 2.76 upper and 2 lb lower and keep the 3:55's and you can run in the 10's with a good clutch and driving. It will still drive like stock until in boost and have a hell of a DD with room to grow.

You can run pullied with out any other mods. Here is a cheap breakdown. Minimum.

2.8 upper w/ TR6 Iridium plugs
    SCT X2 for the canned tune
    100mm upper Idler for belt slip
    Gates belt
    JLT CAI
    Accufab T/B and inlet
    Off road H-pipe (for the sound)
    315 Nittos on Stock wheels (cures wheel hop)
    SFC's full length

This can get you 460-470rwhp and as low as 11.20-30's at around 118-121mph with good air and gas if you can row the gears. Now if you go ported, your traps can pick up towards 124-127 with a 2lb lower.

I only lost 2 races (out of about 15 good street races) with my Ported Eaton set up. My buds Whipple beat me a few times at 608rwhp, around a car length and a cool ass old guy with a 99 Viper GTS with a cam and 100 shot, he beat us by about a car up to 4th gear! No lie. We both had traction issues but it was very close! Have you ever heard a Viper with a lope to it? Very scary.

You do have a hell of a car now though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey jayplay, dumb question but what hp/tq you have. your car is f'n sweet dude

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by JayplaySS2 View Post
    It will still drive like stock until in boost and have a hell of a DD with room to grow.

You can run pullied with out any other mods. Here is a cheap breakdown. Minimum.

2.8 upper w/ TR6 Iridium plugs
    SCT X2 for the canned tune
    100mm upper Idler for belt slip
    Gates belt
    JLT CAI
    Accufab T/B and inlet
    Off road H-pipe (for the sound)
    315 Nittos on Stock wheels (cures wheel hop)
    SFC's full length

This can get you 460-470rwhp and as low as 11.20-30's at around 118-121mph with good air and gas if you can row the gears. Now if you go ported, your traps can pick up towards 124-127 with a 2lb lower.

We both had traction issues but it was very close! Have you ever heard a Viper with a lope to it? Very scary.

You do have a hell of a car now though.
    Wow, that's a lot less than the suspension I have now. I know I have a hell of a car, but it's really disappointing me so far. I've dumped a ton of money in it, ran an 8.27 in the 1/8th, have wicked nasty wheel hop and seems like my entire driver's side lights have gone out. (no headlight, no driving light, no turn signal) It's like driving a tank too, the car just doesn't like turning or anything else. (guess that's what I get for building a track car) Straight line is great, about all it can do. I just have a feeling that a Cobra will be wicked fast and the mods will be 1/3 less, will still have a DD feel with 450+rwhp, and NOTHING is sexier than that blower whine...
    I can't imagine what a viper sounds like with a lope, very scary indeed!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Just like my 99 Cobra, one of the very first mods I did with my 04 Cobra was to swap a live axle in place of the IRS.

To each their own.

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    hey jayplay, dumb question but what hp/tq you have. your car is f'n sweet dude
    Funny story. No idea.
    When I had it tuned, my B U D D Y ....4 hrs away ......neglected to tell me he was having problems with his dyno! We spent 3-4 hrs street tuning it but there is no number. I would guess around 640-660rwhp/ 590-600rwtq since I have a few additions that a few of my buds dont. GMS coils, I welded the KB inlet and removed the restriction (long story) and ported and polished the lower intake, where the intercooler site.

The ported eaton made 531rwhp.

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

You made 531 on a ported eaton? Well then, no need for a KB or a whipple then!

C6 H/C/N20

Wow, that's a lot less than the suspension I have now. I know I have a hell of a car, but it's really disappointing me so far. I've dumped a ton of money in it, ran an 8.27 in the 1/8th, have wicked nasty wheel hop and seems like my entire driver's side lights have gone out. (no headlight, no driving light, no turn signal) It's like driving a tank too, the car just doesn't like turning or anything else. (guess that's what I get for building a track car) Straight line is great, about all it can do. I just have a feeling that a Cobra will be wicked fast and the mods will be 1/3 less, will still have a DD feel with 450+rwhp, and NOTHING is sexier than that blower whine...
    I can't imagine what a viper sounds like with a lope, very scary indeed!

Your light problem is your headlight switch. 99% sure. I had a repair shop and GM's do that often. I could be wrong but try it, new headlight switch.

C6 H/C/N20

You made 531 on a ported eaton? Well then, no need for a KB or a whipple then!

Yea, the Whipple at 17lbs put a car on me and with my driving perfect I had a fender on him. Very close. DO a search on Streetfire for Ported eaton vs KB and you will see how close thay really are IF the boost is less than 17-18lbs on the KB. If you run 18-21lbs on a KB/Whipple, it will get ugly for the ported. Then you run a 100 wet shot. Low 10's at 130mph for $1,000!

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Well I know where I'll be this week...@ LAmotorcars with my checkbook!
    What part of FL are you in?
    Would you suggest Lethal Performance as the place to buy parts?

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    fabrizi, i responded your thread over SVTP and my nick is musclefan21

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information