Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What the hell? My New GTO vs GTP

I got my GTO about 2 months ago. I haven't had anyone to race until earlier tonight, it was a 97-03 GTP. I know because I used to own one. I was going to drop some things off at my girlfriend's house and I came to a red light. This GTP comes rolling up and he looks at me and starts laughing and revving his car while laughing at me. I was like wtf, it sounded like he did some exhaust work cause it didn't sound stock. I'm starting to get excited now because I can see my first kill! Wtf, the light hits green and I'm in front until we reach the other side of the street and that damn thing was like a slingshot! He freaking killed me. My old GTP couldn't do that?! So what the hell happened?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

what year gto...auto or 6 speed? and there are some very fast modded gtp's out there capable of 11s

Its the Ls2 with the auto. 11's? Jesus, so this isn't a bad thing then?

pewter

somones gotta hit this up with a heavily modded gtp in the next few days....i know theres a guy on here that has one in the 11s....i have no clue what kind of modding it takes to get there but it has to be significant......i raced a gto yesterday as a matter a fact.....turning left onto a main road thats 2 lanes right behind him ......he jumps in the right lane...me left...we both hit it with him a car up on me......by the time i grabbed 3rd around 80 i had 1 full car on him and im pushin 400 rwhp...i was shocked he kept up that good.....that gtp was DEFINITLY highly modded

Damn I just went and looked at some of the times those modded ones run, there are some 9 second cars lol. I feel better now, I wish I would have known some of that when I had one. Now I need to mod the GTO lol.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

some come with blowers (so to speak) but hey, better a w-body than a import

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Bolt-on's- Mid to high 13's
    +Mild cam-Low 13's street tires, high 12's DR's
    +Intercooler-Low 12's DR's or Slicks
    +Heads-Possible high 11's, at least very low 12's
    Also a newer (Gen V) blower swap is good for 20WHP over a fully ported Gen III that the 97-03 come with.

We haven't even discussed turbo or nitrous

Oh and PS- A W-Body is not even close to an import, is a GN?

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    Oh and PS- A W-Body is not even close to an import, is a GN?
    He never stated it was......

I've seen some very fast GTP's at the track before but most are mid 13 second cars, still very respectable. Fastest one I saw was a 11.6 car that I actually had to run against. Either way, the GTPs are not that nice to me and FWD. I would never own a FWD and try to make it go fast. Different strokes for different folks though.
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Black
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Sounds like he probably was cammed and had an IC... I should hit 11's this year if I can get to the track. Actually, there are quite a few that run 10's, a few in the 9's and a few that hope to hit 8's this year.

Randy
    S1X Cam/ZZP S3 IC/N*/Gen V/S&S Headers
    12.42@110.03 with a 1.74 60 Before IC
    12.46@114.3 with a 2.062 60 with IC

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

I tend to agree with some others about his mods. If he was laughing outloud like that he probably knew. I have never had anyone laugh at me before a race unless they were really fast. Well except that moron in the stock 88 BMW 318, but he was an idiot.

I wouldnt beat yourselft up too much, just use it as a goal to start modding your GTO. Thats what I did when I got stomped by a VW bug convertible. I found out later from some people at the track that he had a highly modded Carrera turbo engine in it. He shifted through 4 gears before I got out of 1st.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

My old GTX was a 00' and I did heads/cam/headers/intercooler/DR's/pulleys/ported eaton blower, plus custom exhaust and numerous other things. It runs like 11.7@120 if I remember right. It also put down 360rwhp with 125000 miles. It nice because my sister bought it from me so I can driver it every once and a while. she loves beating people with it, especially when she rolls down the window and sees they been beat by a chic.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    He never stated it was......

I've seen some very fast GTP's at the track before but most are mid 13 second cars, still very respectable. Fastest one I saw was a 11.6 car that I actually had to run against. Either way, the GTPs are not that nice to me and FWD. I would never own a FWD and try to make it go fast. Different strokes for different folks though.
    The main reasons I bought it instead of an LS1 T/A:
    1. Mileage
    2. Winter driveability
    3. Ride/seats
    4. PRICE
    5. $$$ for 2 cars

If it wasn't for that list, an LS1 T/A and a cheap FWD for winter would be in front of my place. Getting a FWD to hook is a bitch!

98formy, someone on the GP boards just pointed this out...sorry but your GTX must be pretty impressive to dyno 360RWHP J/K!

Oh and a couple links:
    http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp

pewter

throw an intercooled magnusson blower on your goat and go gtp hunting....check out the numbers it puts down with it on lpe's site... lingenfelter.com aprox 600 flywheel horse for an ls2 with an intercooled mag..id imagine that would be VERY reliabe hp to

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

My best friend has a GTP and he's done a fair amount of work to it: Exhaust, CAI, U-bend delete, SC Pulley, PCM upgrade, weight reduction, etc. He's beaten a couple LT1 F-bodies and Edge body GTs. Definitely a sleeper!

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

theres 1-2 fast gtps runnin round lansing... havent quite figured out where they hide out tho.... somethign about a mid-michigan grand prix club.... they rent out stanton drag strip sometime in october.... i should go up there and kick there asses for them.... my buddy ses one of them is in the 11's.... anyone else wanna go pick on some gtp's if i get the date??

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    throw an intercooled magnusson blower on your goat and go gtp hunting....check out the numbers it puts down with it on lpe's site... lingenfelter.com aprox 600 flywheel horse for an ls2 with an intercooled mag..id imagine that would be VERY reliabe hp to
    I agree..........Oh, thats right I got a maggie
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    I agree..........Oh, thats right I got a maggie
    What do you run? I've always wondered what the Magnuson GTO's do in the 1/4...I wish there was a good blower for GP's

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

98formy, someone on the GP boards just pointed this out...sorry but your GTX must be pretty impressive to dyno 360RWHP ]
    Whoops, old habits die hard, dont they

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

Blown V6 cars are fast, i should know My little 98 buick GSX will take most LS1 cars, takes my LS1 for sure. On slicks I run low 12s. The looks on peoples faces sometimes are priceless.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Cam, intercooler, better blower, yank stall, 3.69s ........
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/Buick/Regal/1998/9617/

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

What do you run? I've always wondered what the Magnuson GTO's do in the 1/4...I wish there was a good blower for GP's
    I have never taken it to the track.....It's a daily driver....LOL....Just a fast one...

Thread Information