Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sebring silver
    2000 z28

wanna know what slp cai will do

well i bought my car and it was bone stock

I went to the track and my best time was 13.56@104mph

with the slp cai the car went 13.26@106mph

looks like the cai system really works

What i am going to do is test every mod as i go to let everyone know what mod does what,how much it cost, and if its worth it.

don't worry i made several passes both stock and with the cai, also it was 68 degress both times

slp cold air intake system( lid, filter, smooth bellow, and metal air scoop)$270

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Hey silver, I got a ws6 ram air and I was wondering if changing my air box lid will get me anything? It is stock right now. Also will a ls6 cam and heads bolt right on?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I want to do some engine work before I run out and blow it up with a turbo

red
    1999 Trans am

Is your car an a4 or m6? How much miles does your car have? Get a catback exhaust. Then report back!

sebring silver
    2000 z28

my car is the a4 with 105,xxx so any runs i do are pretty consistent. I was thinking about going with a cat back next, borla was going to be my choice but i have also been thinking about the slp loudmouth.

yo az gt eater) go to slponline.com they have a cam and head package that is worth up to 500hp with the right external bolt ons and computer programing

if your stock lid has baffles witch i think it should, then yes, it will make a difference, maby not as much as mine because you have ram air but every little helps.

I'm not a big fan of forced induction, don't get me wrong it is bad ass, but it tends to scare people out of races. i "try" to keep my car more of a sleeper so when any turbo neon or mustang wants to run then i usual put a small bet on it ($50)

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
    yo az gt eater) go to slponline.com they have a cam and head package that is worth up to 500hp with the right external bolt ons and computer programing
    SLP should be the last place you go for H/C....thunderracing is a good place with custom grinds and packages with AFR heads. Texas speed is another good one

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I got an m6 with 70K. I think the guy before me put some type of exhaust on it, but no name on anything. I don't know what it is. So, exhaust first? It's stock. I want to do this build up correctly without wasting any money.500 hp would be plenty for me. I just want to be able to hold my own on the street.(I mean I don't have tooo much of a problem now.)I will check out thunder and texas speed

sebring silver
    2000 z28

what i plan to do with my car is first, full intake, which includes the slp cai i already have and a ls6 style intake manifold. then full exhaust, ceramic coated headers, pacesetters, and a cat back, borla or loudmouth, when that is done i want to have the cars computer reflashed to get most hp out of the bolt ons. then gears i have 2.73's right now and want to go with 3.73's, that should make the biggest difference. also some corvett c6 wheel for a little more traction cause i will need it

hopefully i should run low 12's with all that . i want to let the ls1 run untill its final day, which may be a while, then i want to put in the ls7

red
    1999 Trans am

good luck buying that ls7 thoughs things cost well over $11,000 dollars. but in the future you may be able to buy one on ebay for a couple thousand dollars. Just don't turn in to one of thoughs guys who blows all there money on their car and can't afford to move out of your MOMs house.

two questions:
    1. what is the performance gain of changing your stock gear? TA 99 LS1 is 2.73's, I was looking at 3.73's. What is the RWHP gain.. 10-15rwhp or less?

2. I have to agree the SLP cai works well, did not have to spend 800 on a hood and all that. I spent only 300 all together with the smooth bellow etc.. but now to the question.. SLP claims 525 hp on this AFR head and cam package if you do the tune professionally (LS1Edit) etc. what do you think of the SLP package, is it for real 525 to the engine or not? that's like 200hp over stock.. not too bad if it's true. the link..
    http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12226

Thanks for responding to my 2 questions in detail.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

changing your gears isn't going to gain you hp, what it does is gives your engine more leverage, quicker revs to get in and stay in your power band. if your car is and auto then those gears will be great, i don't know cause i dont have those gears yet , but it would expect .5 sec better with good trackion, witch you may want to look into sub frame connectors and suspension work to get even more gains, most people overlook suspension,

i do like slp performance but i dought it produces 525 hp, maby more like 450, componies always like to over rate parts to sell them, don't get me wrong if you got that set up your car would be wild as hell and should easily be an 11 sec car. think about it heads and cam packages and a junkyard 350 has produced 450 hp, then on an ls1 which is built better and is designed for performance, maby it would hit 500 hp

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

anyone else want to know what slp cai will do:

it will fuck your engine when you hit a decent puddle with it and hydro lock your motor, just what i've heard from a couple first hand experiences on the site

I've been using the slp cai for a year now, never had any problems. but, nothing is perfect so yeah a very small group of people may have some bad experiences.
    I did take a few huge puddles with it and the hydroplane lock happended due to the TCS sys being on. overall a pretty good experience with cai.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what does the TCS / ASR have to do with it

NBM
    '00 Z28

I wonder how your results with the CAI compare with cutting the baffles out of the stock lid, and doing the free ram air mod.

the TCS will kick in when you hydroplane over big puddles. about the cai causing any of that, never had a problem so can't speak to it. and didn't hear any of my friends
    complain either.

toneloc60: close to same hain in hp. maybe a few 2-3 extra hp on the ram ai setup, but compare the cost 200 vs 800 (hood, paint and ram air package)...

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly
    toneloc60: close to same hain in hp. maybe a few 2-3 extra hp on the ram ai setup, but compare the cost 200 vs 800 (hood, paint and ram air package)...
    I was talking about FREE RAM AIR. That is where you cut the bottom out of the air box, and trim down the radiator support shroud to allow the high pressure air in front of the AC condenser to enter the intake.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
    when that is done i want to have the cars computer reflashed to get most hp out of the bolt ons.
    ummm... reflashed?! NO!!! have it dyno tuned... reflash isn't going to do sqwat...

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

dyno tuned = re flashed in a way

Thread Information