Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbo diesel

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

turbo diesel

not really a kill but technicaly is i guess. more of a question.
    cruising the other day with my buddy in his jeep behind me. a big old ford f-150? turbo diesel powerstroke v8 etc etc pulls up next to me with an empty two wheel car dolly and starts revving and cruising side by side with me. honestly i didnt think anything of it, i couldnt see the guys face but i guess he was staring at me wanting to go. long story short we end up racing for about 5 maybe 6 seconds total from like a 40 roll. he took off and i reeled him in fast and passed him. i know that there are some quick diesels out there but i havent seen any on the street by me. my question is, what does it take for these trucks to run with us/ pull us? just curious never really knew nothing about the diesel game or had a truck try and race me.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    not really a kill but technicaly is i guess. more of a question.
    cruising the other day with my buddy in his jeep behind me. a big old ford f-150? turbo diesel powerstroke v8 etc etc pulls up next to me with an empty two wheel car dolly and starts revving and cruising side by side with me. honestly i didnt think anything of it, i couldnt see the guys face but i guess he was staring at me wanting to go. long story short we end up racing for about 5 maybe 6 seconds total from like a 40 roll. he took off and i reeled him in fast and passed him. i know that there are some quick diesels out there but i havent seen any on the street by me. my question is, what does it take for these trucks to run with us/ pull us? just curious never really knew nothing about the diesel game or had a truck try and race me.
    A duramax can run with you stock, with a good tune it can eat ls1's.. Don't know anything about ford or dodges..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I've posted this here b4, but anyways this is my tuners truck all STOCK except for stacks which he recently removed... Ended going on to win the event.. This was a 13.11 run, however notice the windshield say's 12.85..

Last edited by Smittro; 09-16-2010 at 10:28 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Our other buddy was there that day too with the exact same truck except for it being pewter.. He ended up only making like 3 passes and broke out with a 12.6 run before having to sit it out His trany was built but everything esle was stock with a tune..

My buddy's truck in the video dynoed in excess of 1000 ft lbs tq..

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

wow not too shabby

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    wow not too shabby
    truck was on factory rubber too.lol

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

guy in mustang looked like he knew he was gonna get spanked before it even went down. Seriously, that truck is fast. I remember when i first got my WS6. I took my dad for a drive. He was impressed, but said he could do that with his truck. He had a 08? dodge 4 door,4 wheel drive,6 speed. And that thing moves really well. You can be in any gear on a gravel road, and when you push the gas down, the rear end tries to pass you. No matter what speed. Even at 70. So, he goes out the next day and tries it. I got a phone call shortly apologizing. Before that, he had a 96 powerstroke, and used a jaws of life to bend back the firewall, and replaced the turbo downpipe, replaced the exhaust back from there, with only a huge glasspack, then chipped it, and it was as fast as a 5.0. But it weighed 8500lbs. We loved the looks on all the ricer's faces. Bye bye honda.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    A duramax can run with you stock, with a good tune it can eat ls1's.. Don't know anything about ford or dodges..
    A duramax, stock, off the showroom floor, can run with (meaning mid 13s @ 105ish MPH in the 1/4) my stock WS6? Is this what you claim? I never knew they were anywhere near that fast. Thought they were about 16.0 stock.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Diesels do have that advantage, of a tune to be able to really give them power. I don't EVER want one, tho. Too F'n loud, in all the wrong ways, the stench, and I don't think black, nasty smelling smoke is cool.

I've said that everybody admires the heavy rhinocerous for its' power, it can really tow shit. However, it is noisey, can't stop very quickly, nor turn a corner, nor get good gas MPG, nor is it good looking. That's what I think of diesel pick-em-ups.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by too fast View Post
    diesels do have that advantage, of a tune to be able to really give them power. I don't ever want one, tho. Too f'n loud, in all the wrong ways, the stench, and i don't think black, nasty smelling smoke is cool.

I've said that everybody admires the heavy rhinocerous for its' power, it can really tow shit. However, it is noisey, can't stop very quickly, nor turn a corner, nor get good gas mpg, nor is it good looking. That's what i think of diesel pick-em-ups.
    you havent been in a new diesel have you? Haha they are more quiet than my z28 and get mid 20s on the hiway.

O and to the op: It was prolly a f250 since half tons dont get a diesel

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^still stinky tho I admit they are getting rid of the diesel clatter. And they can get mid 20s highway? Pretty good.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ^^^still stinky tho I admit they are getting rid of the diesel clatter. And they can get mid 20s highway? Pretty good.
    Yes diesel is more fuel effiecent than gas and alot of the gas trucks are getting high teens freeway some even claim 20mpg freeway. But when you tow even 3500lbs with a gas truck the mpg drops to almost 10-12 freeway.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

well this escalated quickly

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes diesel is more fuel effiecent than gas and alot of the gas trucks are getting high teens freeway some even claim 20mpg freeway. But when you tow even 3500lbs with a gas truck the mpg drops to almost 10-12 freeway.
    yep....my pop up is ~3k pounds and when I hook to it I lose ~ 1mpg on the freeway. You don't even know it's back there.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Cleaned up the non-sense. I won't do it again. I'll warn people and close the thread. If you guys want to debate go ahead but no smart ass remarks and no name calling.

I will post up my opinion on the matter as limited as my diesel knowledge is. I know in order for me to put my truck in the 12's I'm gonna have to spend some money. If I want it to run 12's why being reliable I'm gonna have to spend a lot of money. To get in the 12's you're gonna need a lift pump and built tranny. Might be able to luck into a 12 on the stock tranny but that's pushing it and the tranny won't last. What it boils down to is what is considered "stock". To me if you say it's stock that means it's the same as when it rolled off the dealership's lot. Everything else is "stock except for.......".

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    stinky? ooo i love the smell of a diesel on a cold morning. the smell of the cummins.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Cleaned up the non-sense. I won't do it again. I'll warn people and close the thread. If you guys want to debate go ahead but no smart ass remarks and no name calling.

I will post up my opinion on the matter as limited as my diesel knowledge is. I know in order for me to put my truck in the 12's I'm gonna have to spend some money. If I want it to run 12's why being reliable I'm gonna have to spend a lot of money. To get in the 12's you're gonna need a lift pump and built tranny. Might be able to luck into a 12 on the stock tranny but that's pushing it and the tranny won't last. What it boils down to is what is considered "stock". To me if you say it's stock that means it's the same as when it rolled off the dealership's lot. Everything else is "stock except for.......".
    Maybe I should have worded it that way.. However I stand on my original posts. As I was trying to say.. Mechanically it was a stock truck "with a tune", even when he had stacks on it he worked with some of the factory exhaust to get it into the bed area..

The intention was not to clutter up this thread I assure you. Nor was it my intent to be attacked... Noone else seemed to have trouble understanding what I was saying..

Yes durring the video his tranny was also stock.. Many of our other friends could'nt believe it was holding up.. Our buddy with the other D-max, did in fact blow his trany.. However he also pushes it harder than my bud with the white d-max... He was looking for consistancy where as my other buddy does'nt care if he breaks shit.. Hense why he broke out you'd just have to know him it's kinda the way he is... He drove his truck with a bad tranny through 2 states to get to some speed shop PAYED to have it built in one day and then drove it home the same night with his new tranny built and installed.. That's really the way we/I always go about things, "brake today, fix today" if time permits..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 05:05 AM.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

well thanks for all the info smittro so I'm guessing the conclusion to all this is yes they can run with us but risk blowing the tranny and with a 'tune'. now I know haha

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

you hit that right on the head.... if you have a d-max then yes your tranny won't last long at all.. even if it is a allison... the best stock tranny is the torqueshift.... and you will need more than just a tune to get in the 12's... like you said a lift pump or CP3.... and a good tranny will cost around 6k... but they can be very quick for a 8k truck...

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Ok,all this is about the quarter mile, but what about when you are on the interstate? I mean if I'm following the guy in the souped up diesel, and i downshift to 4th at 80-85, I should be able to pass with impunity, right? I mean, he has to get that turbo spooled up, and downshift, and move all that mass. I should go by him like snot on a doorknob, right? And hold him back there until about (hell idk what the governor is set at)xxx, right? And if it gets stupid, my car does what? 168?( not gonna happen with stock suspension, i can tell you that!)SO, we are really talking about 80-110-120ish.

I'm assuming we are talking about the tuned, exhaust diesels. I realize they have alot of torque, i've seen them in action. (see above post). But their gearing is not set to run at those speeds, again, right? So they can't take advantage of their awesome torque, but instead have to rely on their hp. So what is that? 20lbs /hp? Which means, bye bye WS6. Correct me , plz. I don't want to look like an ass in front of my girl, and can't pass the diesel in front of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Thread Information