Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Talking Trans-Am VS Evo IX

I finally got to go up against one of the cars I've been waiting to get into it with. A very nice looking Evo IX pulled up to me at a red light last night. I'm thinking oh crap I'm in trouble now I have 140 pounds of weight for snow traction, about another 150 pounds of Christmas present packed in the back, skinny 225 snow tires on and a passenger with me so I'm like this isn't going to be good! The light goes green I ease out of it and he does the same. We get to about 10mph and hit gets on it hard and gets a bumper on me and I nail it and slowly start gaining some ground. He shifts to second and his front bumper get to about my mirror. I quickly granny shift to second and during my shift he gets to about front bumper to bumper with me, When I get the power back on I just started pulling past him good. When he got his front bumper back to about my rear tire he let out of it and I did as well. I had major traction issues the whole time also. I thought I was going to have my first loss, but I came through on top once again! That was the closest race I came across so far.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Nice race.

Some people seem to think that the Evo IX's are equal to or faster than an LS1, which is definitely not the case.

If you had all that weight taken out, no passenger, and regular tires, I'm sure it would have been total rape

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

wow, i woulda thought he'da smoked you in those conditions

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    wow, i woulda thought he'da smoked you in those conditions
    I thought the same, but I showed no fear!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

rockin! ok...here come the neigh-sayers

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Nice run. Stock they don't have very good trap speeds. Good throttle modulation!!

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

cool, good kill, what mods do you have?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

For performace I only have a Borla cat back with a cutom made restrictor plate which is almost full open, K&N FIPK, free mods & a bunch of suspension mods, pro 5.0 shifter /LSS. It's amazing how much quicker a car can be when the suspension is set up better and when shifting isn't vauge.

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    For performace I only have a Borla cat back with a cutom made restrictor plate which is almost full open, K&N FIPK, free mods & a bunch of suspension mods, pro 5.0 shifter /LSS. It's amazing how much quicker a car can be when the suspension is set up better and when shifting isn't vauge.
    Nice, I agree with you on the comment about suspension setup making you quicker. I'm heavy into road racing/track, so I know how important suspension is for "fast" lap times even while keeping near stock power levels.
    As I said before, good kill, I enjoy taking them out too.

hawjdude
    nice run, where in WI are u located? my bro has always been looking to run a nicely modded ls1. anyways, if ur near the twin cities, mn, he'd be willing to run u for fun.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Nice job with all that weight... Those Evos are way overated IMO. I've had a few run-ins with cocky students in Evos around here.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by hawjdude View Post
    nice run, where in WI are u located? my bro has always been looking to run a nicely modded ls1. anyways, if ur near the twin cities, mn, he'd be willing to run u for fun.
    I'm over by Wausau about 3 hours from there. What does he have? I'm still working on finishing setting up the suspension on how I want it and to get a stronger rear, and a good clutch in it before I hit the power mods. I might have to do the headers though to get a bit more rumble and go. I want to build up a good foundation that'll make max use of the future power mods when I get there. I just wish I did some baseline runs and testing to see my end results. If I get the chance I'll run him for fun though. There's a track over by eau-clair that would be nice to get the WI members over to for a get together and mini shootout.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Nice job with all that weight... Those Evos are way overated IMO. I've had a few run-ins with cocky students in Evos around here.
    Thanks, that was my first run in so I was happy with the outcome. Everyone around here that I talk to all say they would kill me. I guess they were wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I think the problem is they are overrated by some people, not everyone. I know stock vs stock, there is no way an EVO (even a 9) is going to hang with lets say an M6 LS1. It may be close if it is something like an early LS1 A4 vs EVO IX or something like that. There are always those tools that think some cars are so fast. I have an EVO and I think they are gay and incredibly lame stock. With some mods, they can be pretty darn badass IMO, especially for a heavy sedan. They are overrated by some, underrated by others. Either way, good kill to the thread starter, kill sounds right!

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    I think the problem is they are overrated by some people, not everyone. I know stock vs stock, there is no way an EVO (even a 9) is going to hang with lets say an M6 LS1. It may be close if it is something like an early LS1 A4 vs EVO IX or something like that. There are always those tools that think some cars are so fast. I have an EVO and I think they are gay and incredibly lame stock. With some mods, they can be pretty darn badass IMO, especially for a heavy sedan. They are overrated by some, underrated by others. Either way, good kill to the thread starter, kill sounds right!
    Nice to see an unbiased view from the "competition". As I understand it, $1000 in parts for an Evo will get it trapping at over 110mph and deep into the 12s?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Nice to see an unbiased view from the "competition". As I understand it, $1000 in parts for an Evo will get it trapping at over 110mph and deep into the 12s?
    Thanks. That $1000 soley depends on the parts chosen and the year of the EVO. I say that because you can buy a $1200 exhaust and or a $550 one. Its kinda like buying Pacesetters vs Kooks. But yes, for around $1000 you should be around 112-114mph give or take.

Most EVO IX's with intake, full exhaust, and a flash are running 12.3-12.5 at around 113-114mph. My friend's EVO IX that is bone stock with just a $450 flash ran 12.5@109mph. (For comparison sake he put down 305whp on a DJ).

Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    Thanks. That $1000 soley depends on the parts chosen and the year of the EVO. I say that because you can buy a $1200 exhaust and or a $550 one. Its kinda like buying Pacesetters vs Kooks. But yes, for around $1000 you should be around 112-114mph give or take.

Most EVO IX's with intake, full exhaust, and a flash are running 12.3-12.5 at around 113-114mph. My friend's EVO IX that is bone stock with just a $450 flash ran 12.5@109mph. (For comparison sake he put down 305whp on a DJ).
    Thank you for that info. My next question is, can that still be done on 91 Octane in CA or 93 elsewhere?

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Good kill
    2006 PBM GTO~458WHP 419TRQ~SOLD
    2006 TR M6 GTO~457WHP 407TRQ(Tuned by Mike@Thunder Racing)
    VRX5 Cam,Pacesetter LTs(No Cats),Magnaflow Catback,Ported FAST 92,Ported TB,Billet Pro,SLP UDP,Monster Stage 3,18lb flywheel,Volant CAI,NGK TR55s,Powerslot Rotors,Zo6 Pads,Patriot Golds, Staggered 18" VMR V701s, BFG KDWs, Headlight Armor,Grafxwerks,Painted OEM SAP Grilles and rear valence,West Coast Speeds AUX Input

Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    Thank you for that info. My next question is, can that still be done on 91 Octane in CA or 93 elsewhere?

That is not on 91. That is on 93. I honestly dont know much about the 91 numbers since most of the country (and where I am from) we have 93. Those numbers will obviously be less since 91octane sucks

silver
    04 cobra

Yea RWD V8s are way better in the snow then jap crap AWD. I hate evos they are basicly a hyundai with a turbo and AWD big deal.

Thread Information