Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 124

trans am vs. any srt models

This is a discussion on trans am vs. any srt models within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Zinergy Hope your kidding, a stock srt-8 charger or challenger is a 13.2-13.5 car @ 108-110mph, i ...

  1. #41
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Hope your kidding, a stock srt-8 charger or challenger is a 13.2-13.5 car @ 108-110mph, i was running 12.8s @ 111mph with 3 bolt ons and a tune on street tires. I will say that most of the time a stock f-body will lose to a stock srt-8 car but not by that much. A few bolt ons will put you in the lead. Oh and just so you know stock my 2000 T/A went a 13.3 @ 107mph, so still pretty close to the times put down by the srt-8 cars.

    You think too highly of the srt-8 cars if you think you need a cammed ls1 to beat them, there are a shit ton of 11 second ls1 cars with cam and bolt ons only. No way in a hell a stock srt-8 car is gonna run 11s

    Im also confused as to why yo uthink the srt-8 challenger is faster than the charger, they weigh damn near the same and have the same powertrain.
    dude chill, i ran a stock srt charger i have slps 350hp pac, it was a pretty even race both autos, i'm just comparing a stock f-body. no cams or bolt ons anything else.

    the challenger weighs a bit less, a couple .X faster in 0-60 than a charger

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    dude chill, i ran a stock srt charger i have slps 350hp pac, it was a pretty even race both autos, i'm just comparing a stock f-body. no cams or bolt ons anything else.

    the challenger weighs a bit less, a couple .X faster in 0-60 than a charger
    What are you talking about, I am chill.

    The challenger is 100lbs less than the charger, not much

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    word-- and those times are basically what f-bodies run stock-- unless they're clapped out. just because it's new and alot more power doesn't make it faster. weight kills the challenger and new camaro.
    Looky what i found, stock 2010 manual runs a 12.87 @ 109mph with a 2.0 60ft. DA was 986, so that helped lol

    I have already seen with my own eyes 111mph trap speed out of a bone stock 2010 manual. But that guy only went a 13.3. And it was high 30s that night.

    I have said it before and il lsay it again, give the new camaro drivers time to get used to the car and the IRS and give the engines time to break in and we will see some 12.6-12.8 passes stock down to the tires.

    http://www.camaro5.com/?p=1605
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.

  4. #44
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    not that motor trend is really acurate, but in thier '10-'11 line up, says challenger goes 0-60 in 4.6 while charger goes it in 5.0, (same as what they say a 98 trans am does)even if they arent right all the time, .4 seconds is a good measurable difference.

  5. #45
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    and yes no doubt, nearly any mild cam will put us well in the lead against the two no doubt sir. i just cant afford any of that right now, college sucks.

  6. #46
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Looky what i found, stock 2010 manual runs a 12.87 @ 109mph with a 2.0 60ft. DA was 986, so that helped lol

    I have already seen with my own eyes 111mph trap speed out of a bone stock 2010 manual. But that guy only went a 13.3. And it was high 30s that night.

    I have said it before and il lsay it again, give the new camaro drivers time to get used to the car and the IRS and give the engines time to break in and we will see some 12.6-12.8 passes stock down to the tires.

    http://www.camaro5.com/?p=1605

    i think you're right. and GM has also had some minor bugs to work out of these cars. but right now the stock 2010 camaro record is basically the exact same as the ls1 fbody record.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    151

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    I had a srt-4.. Dyned 270whp with wga, exhaust, and intercooler and would walk my camaro all day long.
    Would run high 12s all day long.
    12.89 108 2.0
    331whp 338rwtq

    LLk

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    I had a srt-4.. Dyned 270whp with wga, exhaust, and intercooler and would walk my camaro all day long.
    Would run high 12s all day long.
    Then your camaro must be stock.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    i think you're right. and GM has also had some minor bugs to work out of these cars. but right now the stock 2010 camaro record is basically the exact same as the ls1 fbody record.
    Yes except the record 4th gen was done by a pro driver and this was some average joe off the street. Maybe they should let Evan run a 2010 manual on a day with the same DA as the day he ran that WS6 and see what happens.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    151

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then your camaro must be stock.
    Lid, drs, 4,000 miles. Beat exhaust, lid, dr camaros quite a bit. but i drove the shit out of that pos neon.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    Lid, drs, 4,000 miles. Beat exhaust, lid, dr camaros quite a bit. but i drove the shit out of that pos neon.
    I was running mid to high 12s with headers, catback, lid and tune all day in my T/A on street tires. With drag radials im sure low to lower mid 12s would have been doable. But by the time i got my DRs i had a cam/ported heads and intake manifold upgrade.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    151

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I was running mid to high 12s with headers, catback, lid and tune all day in my T/A on street tires. With drag radials im sure low to lower mid 12s would have been doable. But by the time i got my DRs i had a cam/ported heads and intake manifold upgrade.
    my best with 270whp was in the 12.7s. true slicks and break 300whp mid 12s would have been a problem at all.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Klug23 View Post
    my best with 270whp was in the 12.7s. true slicks and break 300whp mid 12s would have been a problem at all.
    I had alot of srt-4 friends back in the day, so i know what they can do, 1 friends was even in the 11s but after a while it seems everyone wants to sell them.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    151

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I had alot of srt-4 friends back in the day, so i know what they can do, 1 friends was even in the 11s but after a while it seems everyone wants to sell them.
    Yeah. Its funny how many people think they are a joke, but thats just because they are owned by poor ass kids that dont have a clue how to mod or drive them.
    That is the only reason i bought one, kept it for 2 years as a dd and sold it.

  15. #55
    willys srt8
    Guest
    SRT-8 Charger/Challenger/300 all pretty much the same. Dodge claims 4168lbs for the Charger the 300 and the Challenger are only slightly lighter.

    the T/C button is not a toggle under the dash it's right above the radio and to disable it completly it needs to remain pressed for 6 sec till it chimes and the display says ESP off. for best acceleration/track results leave it ON

    f-body vs SRT-8 close but if i HAD to bet it would be on the SRT-8.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    i think you're right. and GM has also had some minor bugs to work out of these cars. but right now the stock 2010 camaro record is basically the exact same as the ls1 fbody record.
    The average trap speed for a stock new Camaro is 108-111mph. That is a bit more than a stock F-body which averages 104-106mph. While they may be running similar 1/4 mile times, the new Camaro is still pulling harder on the top end.

    I forget which company, but they threw a pair of drag radials on a new 6M SS, and it went high 12s@110-111mph, and it was pretty achievable between two different cars they had. I've only seen a small handful of factory freaks, or base model (no power anything) Z28s, that have gone 12s stock.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    The average trap speed for a stock new Camaro is 108-111mph. That is a bit more than a stock F-body which averages 104-106mph. While they may be running similar 1/4 mile times, the new Camaro is still pulling harder on the top end.

    I forget which company, but they threw a pair of drag radials on a new 6M SS, and it went high 12s@110-111mph, and it was pretty achievable between two different cars they had. I've only seen a small handful of factory freaks, or base model (no power anything) Z28s, that have gone 12s stock.
    This link is a stock camaro down to the stock tires going a high 12. Im willing to bet the average for that car in a year or two will be 12.8-13.3 a couple tenths better than the 4th gen and a great time will be 12.6s. This is why i laugh when everyone on here talks about how they pulled the new SS with there stock 4th gen. Even though it is heavier, its a faster car.

    http://www.camaro5.com/?p=1605

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Orleans, IN
    Posts
    153

    Red
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    dude chill, i ran a stock srt charger i have slps 350hp pac, it was a pretty even race both autos, i'm just comparing a stock f-body. no cams or bolt ons anything else.

    the challenger weighs a bit less, a couple .X faster in 0-60 than a charger
    I'm sorry but you do need to get over your 350hp pac thing.... a LS1 puts out 350hp(at crank).... no matter if it is in a Vette, F-body or GTO... any LS1 will dyno from 290hp to 315hp(stock)... give or take a few... and as for the op question... well most likely it is a drivers race....

  19. #59
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes except the record 4th gen was done by a pro driver and this was some average joe off the street. Maybe they should let Evan run a 2010 manual on a day with the same DA as the day he ran that WS6 and see what happens.
    i hope you're right-- i want the new camaro to be faster but at this point i'm not super impressed with any of the new musclecars. i dont want to buy something that has an edge over my 02 i want something that will kill my 02

    Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    The average trap speed for a stock new Camaro is 108-111mph. That is a bit more than a stock F-body which averages 104-106mph. While they may be running similar 1/4 mile times, the new Camaro is still pulling harder on the top end.

    I forget which company, but they threw a pair of drag radials on a new 6M SS, and it went high 12s@110-111mph, and it was pretty achievable between two different cars they had. I've only seen a small handful of factory freaks, or base model (no power anything) Z28s, that have gone 12s stock.
    i haven't heard of many new camaros actually trapping 111.. 98% of them are in that 108-109 area.

  20. #60
    Member cant.b.caught.z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Age
    29
    Posts
    476

    Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

    Quote Originally Posted by willys srt8 View Post
    SRT-8 Charger/Challenger/300 all pretty much the same. Dodge claims 4168lbs for the Charger the 300 and the Challenger are only slightly lighter.

    the T/C button is not a toggle under the dash it's right above the radio and to disable it completly it needs to remain pressed for 6 sec till it chimes and the display says ESP off. for best acceleration/track results leave it ON

    f-body vs SRT-8 close but if i HAD to bet it would be on the SRT-8.
    look it up... holding that button for 6 seconds will not turn off esp completely.. hence the switch my dad BOUGHT that plugs into the wiring and will COMPLETELY disable the traction. don't try to tell me i don't know what I'm talking about

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. GTO models
    By johnfin in forum GTO
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
  3. Question: DIC on 2008 Models
    By Mr. Hyde in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
  4. Different Models of Firebird's/T/A's
    By Method in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 02:29 PM
  5. differences in lsx models
    By senior gomez in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 10:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •