Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

thank you vin diesel

This is a discussion on thank you vin diesel within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Wesman Running 11.9's by dropping the clutch at 5K is all well and good until you blow ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Running 11.9's by dropping the clutch at 5K is all well and good until you blow out the driveline on your car. Its a rally car, not a drag car, theres no way the trans, clutch, transfer case, CV shafts, or differential are built for that kind of drag strip abuse.

Have fun replacing your entire driveline, I've seen plenty of DSM's and Evos shit out their entire drivelines from that kind of abuse, espeically transfer cases and clutches. Considering the compact area that the driveline on the Evo is packed into, you can only make the components so strong due to size restraints. A T56 is probably as big as your entire trans, diff, and transfer case combined.
    Kinda like our cars, eh? Our differential is not built to take much drag strip abuse, but I love the transmissions and the V8 GM put under the hood. Minor modifications and over 350 RWHP.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

I know I'm a little late to the party and all, but I have to say this. I am totally a gungho GM loyalist car freak and statistics nerd who would sell organs for an LS-car if I could, but I would never throw the title to a stock T/A on the line versus a 2005 Evo, stock though it may be. You are right, he wouldn't want to launch it at 6000 rpm every time he races, but do you really think the guy is gonna consider that when his car is on the line?!? NO! He's gonna get you off the line in a big way and unless the race goes for longer than 1/4 mile, I wouldn't bet on you catching up. At a track with slicks I might have to rethink this, but on street tires on the road, if he can shift and launch worth beans, its not worth risking your car, 'cuz that rice might eat your lunch! Even if you do everything right and nothing breaks, there is still a good chance you would lose.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by EE1983 View Post
    I think all my runs were around 90mph. Id have to check the timeslips to be exact.
    Well, I trapped 97.4 in the 1/8th, and I have never run it at a 1/4 track. So by your 1/8 vs. 1/4 trap speed, could I guesstimate a 125 mph 1/4 mile trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Well, I trapped 97.4 in the 1/8th, and I have never run it at a 1/4 track. So by your 1/8 vs. 1/4 trap speed, could I guesstimate a 125 mph 1/4 mile trap?

Thats something youre better off asking the guys in the drag racing forum. Sometimes those 1/8 mphs can be deceiving. You do have a healthy list of mods though so youre most definitely in the 122mph+ range I would say. I noticed a couple guys who went slower than me (in EVOs) had better 1/8th mphs than me though which I cant figure out. I think the best way to guess is to check out an LS1 timeslips and try and match up your 1.8mph and see what others ran in the 1/4.

EDIT: I was just checking out a timeslip database for LS1s, there were guys with 95-98mph traps running 117-125 in the 1/4 mph. So youd be in between there I guess. The only real way to tell is by going to a 1/4 track!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Yeah, well my rear end is shot, so its gonna be a couple months before I will have the spare cash for a 12-bolt. Then I am gonna take it to the 1/4 in Rockingham and see what she's got.

Yeah my friend has an 02 SS H/C, his stock 10 bolt didnt last very long! He has the Moser 12bolt now with some 4.10s (or 4.11s?).

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

What 1/4 time did he bring down before his 10-bolt went kaput?

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    What 1/4 time did he bring down before his 10-bolt went kaput?
    He was running 11.60-11.70s on motor at 118-119 and broke it then. He now has a 150shot as well and runs high 10s on the juice at around 130mph. Definitely needed the 12 for that! All his track runs are on slicks.

SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    Where have you been, under a rock? Any decently driven EVO is in the 13s stock. They have to launch off the rev limiter to do it though. This makes the stock clutch fail very quickly if repeated too often. If the guy sneaks a tune and manual boost controller in there, he could be low 13s. A non-evo savvy person would never know if he had these mods. We have a whole slew of these things on the local scene that come to the track and I've been there in person to witness. The only one I've ever seen run over 14, was the kid who didn't want to ruin his clutch launching and shifting too hard and yes he was high 14s.
    LOL

Have you ever launched an awd car? You get a better launch sliping the clutch at around 4000rmp, never launch off the rev limiter it will bog 85% of the time. ps race him for pinks theres no way he can win.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    LOL

Have you ever launched an awd car? You get a better launch sliping the clutch at around 4000rmp, never launch off the rev limiter it will bog 85% of the time. ps race him for pinks theres no way he can win.
    Thank you.

White
    2002 Camaro SS

LOL

Yes I have launched an awd car and that's why I like them. Launching off the rev limiter was an exaggerated term to use, I know. Thanks for the drag racing slipping-the-clutch-technique lesson.

SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    Yes I have launched an awd car and that's why I like them. Launching off the rev limiter was an exaggerated term to use, I know. Thanks for the drag racing slipping-the-clutch-technique lesson.
    It does depend on the car, not all awd cars are 50%-50% or 60%-40%, I even hear on some of the newer STi's you can move power from front to back. My buddy has an 04 Sti and all it was is the intercooler sprayer, no way of moving power. But he can luanch at a higher RPM range then in the rt/tt. An awd launch done right is a blast, its always fun to put a few items up front like wallet or a few empty soda bottles and watch them go flying back on launch. An awd launch is up there with doing rwd cookies in a newly paved parking lot just a good ol time

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

It does depend on the car, not all awd cars are 50%-50% or 60%-40%, I even hear on some of the newer STi's you can move power from front to back. My buddy has an 04 Sti and all it was is the intercooler sprayer, no way of moving power. But he can luanch at a higher RPM range then in the rt/tt. An awd launch done right is a blast, its always fun to put a few items up front like wallet or a few empty soda bottles and watch them go flying back on launch. An awd launch is up there with doing rwd cookies in a newly paved parking lot just a good ol time
    Too bad hard AWD lauches destroy the clutch. Other than that I guess they are "fun" though...

At least doing donuts in a RWD cars only destroys the tires, and tires are a hell of a lot cheaper than a clutch.

Too bad hard AWD lauches destroy the clutch. Other than that I guess they are "fun" though...

At least doing donuts in a RWD cars only destroys the tires, and tires are a hell of a lot cheaper than a clutch.
    A good pair of wide tires out back isnt too cheap these days

Most aftermarket clutches on AWD cars can go through a serious amount of launches.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

A good pair of wide tires out back isnt too cheap these days

Most aftermarket clutches on AWD cars can go through a serious amount of launches.
    Thats why you use crappy winter tires if you're going to do donuts. You'd be a fool to turn high performance tires into burnt rubber and smoke.

No streetable clutch can take the kind of abuse long-term that AWD launches put on them. Everytime you launch you fry the clutch. Why?? Because something has to give. Either the tires need to spin or the clutch has to slip. Its simple physics. Since neither of those things can happen with AWD, the clutch ends up burning a significant amount of friction material off of it after each run.

Thats why you use crappy winter tires if you're going to do donuts. You'd be a fool to turn high performance tires into burnt rubber and smoke.

No streetable clutch can take the kind of abuse long-term that AWD launches put on them. Everytime you launch you fry the clutch. Why?? Because something has to give. Either the tires need to spin or the clutch has to slip. Its simple physics. Since neither of those things can happen with AWD, the clutch ends up burning a significant amount of friction material off of it after each run.
    No you dont fry the clutch everytime you launch. If you slip it for 5 seconds you will, but there is no reason to do that. You clearly have no idea how to launch an AWD car or how anything works. Ive been driving/launching AWD cars for years, its simple and nothing has to break and you dont fry clutches. My friends EVO was at Atco every weekend for over a year with over 300 launches on it, and when he traded it in, the clutch was fine. His whole drivetrain was fine. So according to your logic, what "had to give"? Was he just another REALLY lucky one like me who has almost 70k miles with launching that nothing broke on YET? LOL

Why dont you leave this stuff up to the people who have 250-300 launches on their AWD car. Stick to what you know, which is about LS1s. K.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

No you dont fry the clutch everytime you launch. If you slip it for 5 seconds you will, but there is no reason to do that. You clearly have no idea how to launch an AWD car or how anything works. Ive been driving/launching AWD cars for years, its simple and nothing has to break and you dont fry clutches. My friends EVO was at Atco every weekend for over a year with over 300 launches on it, and when he traded it in, the clutch was fine. His whole drivetrain was fine. So according to your logic, what "had to give"? Was he just another REALLY lucky one like me who has almost 70k miles with launching that nothing broke on YET? LOL

Why dont you leave this stuff up to the people who have 250-300 launches on their AWD car. Stick to what you know, which is about LS1s. K.
    Dude you're not going to convince anyone about how your magical Mitsbishi clutches don't ever wear out. Its IMPOSSIBLE for them not to, now stop arguring with the obvious.

"300 launches on a clutch and it was fine". Yep, I've definitely heard everything now.

I'm also not going to argue with you about Mitsubishis and how much they break, regardless of your luck and your narrow perception of what you've personally seen. Like I said a million times before, theres no possible way you can launch at 5,6, or 7,000RPM in an AWD car (or any car) consistantly without it taking its toll on the CV shafts, clutch, transfer case (and internal clutch packs), and the entire drivetrain as a whole. Stop trying to convince people that the Evo is somehow invincible to wear and tear, because anyone with any common sense isn't going to buy it anyway.

Dude you're not going to convince anyone about how your magical Mitsbishi clutches don't ever wear out. Its IMPOSSIBLE for them not to, now stop arguring with the obvious.

"300 launches on a clutch and it was fine". Yep, I've definitely heard everything now.

I'm also not going to argue with you about Mitsubishis and how much they break, regardless of your luck and your narrow perception of what you've personally seen. Like I said a million times before, theres no possible way you can launch at 5,6, or 7,000RPM in an AWD car (or any car) consistantly without it taking its toll on the CV shafts, clutch, transfer case (and internal clutch packs), and the entire drivetrain as a whole. Stop trying to convince people that the Evo is somehow invincible to wear and tear, because anyone with any common sense isn't going to buy it anyway.
    Sir, I think everyone here would agree it is you who are the one trying to do the convincing. Im the person whose had AWD car, who races, launches it and maintains it. You dont own an AWD car. Relax.

No car is invincible to wear and tear, no one including myself said it was.

Mr.GTO

black
    2004 pontiac GTO

what will a stock 06 sti run in a quarter i have a stock 04 gto 6 speed just wondering i see him around town just never got a chance to race yet

Quote Originally Posted by starcheif View Post
    what will a stock 06 sti run in a quarter i have a stock 04 gto 6 speed just wondering i see him around town just never got a chance to race yet

PM'd you

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information