Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Supercharged gt mustang?

This is a discussion on Supercharged gt mustang? within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by N20LT4 Don't forget the DRAG RADIALS . That would be considered a pretty significant mod - ya ...

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Don't forget the DRAG RADIALS. That would be considered a pretty significant mod - ya know!

    And I already read the "Chill Out" part. No need to edit.
    Maybe but I bought mine off of craigs list for 30 bucks and mounted them on my stock 17 inch rims. they don't really help me out without a stall, I can't get the RPM's high enough to get a steller 60'
    I really would not count a used set of BFG DR's as a mod, really..

    I use them more to save my street tires, the 275/40 ZR 18 BFG KDW armt cheep ya know.

    These are my track tires

  2. #22
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    I really would not count a used set of BFG DR's as a mod, really..
    In all of my years of racing i've never heard that one. Drag Radials are always considered a mod IMO. And I would almost guarantee the drag radials were helping with your auto car.

    Oh, and did you read my reply way above. It was to the list of "moderately" boosted Mustangs you posted. As a comparison I posted a list of cammed LSx's. By all means a cammed LS1 can give a light-to-moderate boost S197 a run - and then some

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Umm...if I were you, i'd probably think again. Here is a response to your little list of fast Mustangs.

    The fastest "cam-only" LS1 on this list is not too far behind the fastest supercharged Mustang your list.

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187330

    Now what were you saying about a cam-only LS1 not doing what?
    I don't know what happened to my post about this question.
    but my response was that if you read my post I said:

    Originally Posted by 2K05GT
    I don't think a cammed LS1 will take a Moderatly boosted S197, wont happen
    unless a cammed LS1 can run 11.s or 10's I would think Heads, Cam , Headers would be a better bet, the LSx love air and they can be nasty when opened up to breath.


    I was saying that with Just a cam and no bolt-ons it would not.
    the cars that you listed had full bolt ons, Stalls, cluches, DR's Ect.. Then Yes I agree with the numbers, but a Mustang with JUST a Supercharger for 6 grand can hit 11 and 10's with that one engine mod and Dr's, I think is the real point. But then again if you put a supercharger on a LSx engine Watch out that car will scream into the 9's. I am not saying or will I ever say the S197 Mustang engine is better than an Fbod engine but I am saying is don't write the mustang off short, the little 3 Valve 281 is a very impressive engine. I have learned a lot in the last three years working with it.


    I am not a Noob on GM engines.
    Here is a friends car with Heads, Cam, headers and Full bolt-ons

    Bad MF.. look at the air under those skinnies.. :-) ... Awesome Car
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-25-2008 at 07:32 PM.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    In all of my years of racing i've never heard that one. Drag Radials are always considered a mod IMO. And I would almost guarantee the drag radials were helping with your auto car.

    Oh, and did you read my reply way above. It was to the list of "moderately" boosted Mustangs you posted. As a comparison I posted a list of cammed LSx's. By all means a cammed LS1 can give a light-to-moderate boost S197 a run - and then some
    The DR's would be a needed mod for a Manual Trans Car, that can launch at 3 or 4 grand then traction would be an issue, but with my Automatic I can only get 1600 rpms before I push through the beams, thats all I am saying.
    They really don't help ME... Not yet..

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    I have made runs with my DR's


    and Without them


    and it did not make a difference in my times

  6. #26
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    I don't know what happened to my post about this question.
    but my response was that if you read my post I said:

    Originally Posted by 2K05GT
    I don't think a cammed LS1 will take a Moderatly boosted S197, wont happen
    unless a cammed LS1 can run 11.s or 10's I would think Heads, Cam , Headers would be a better bet, the LSx love air and they can be nasty when opened up to breath.


    I was saying that with Just a cam and no bolt-ons it would not.
    the cars that you listed had full bolt ons, Stalls, cluches, DR's Ect.. Then Yes I agree with the numbers, but a Mustang with JUST a Supercharger for 6 grand can hit 11 and 10's with that one engine mod and Dr's, I think is the real point. But then again if you put a supercharger on a LSx engine Watch out that car will scream into the 9's. I am not saying or will I ever say the S197 Mustang is better that an Fbod but I am saying is don't write the mustang off short, the little 3Valve 281 is a very impressive engine. I have learned a lot in the last three years working with it.
    Maybe you are not familiar with the term "cam-only", my apologies for not being specific. But a cam-only car usually includes the supporting bolt-ons like intake, headers etc. etc.

    I've seen '05-'08 GT's with light bolts such as TB, MAF, cat-back, with Superchargers run in the 12's all day. Heck, the Roush 427R is supercharged from the factory and runs high 12's on average. Here is a quick vid of a Roush 427 running against a bolt-on LS1 auto. Stock cam, intake and heads.

    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...s-07_95156.htm

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Maybe you are not familiar with the term "cam-only", my apologies for not being specific. But a cam-only car usually includes the supporting bolt-ons like intake, headers etc. etc.

    I've seen '05-'08 GT's with light bolts such as TB, MAF, cat-back, with Superchargers run in the 12's all day. Heck, the Roush 427R is supercharged from the factory and runs high 12's on average. Here is a quick vid of a Roush 427 running against a bolt-on LS1 auto. Stock cam, intake and heads.

    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/R...s-07_95156.htm
    Drivers are the best Mod, I have had a different experience with the groups I am in, maybe we are better drivers, I mean I run 12.4 on a Stock engine and tranny. with only bolt-ons so what can I tell you.

    I have a friend with just a Saleen Roots, intake, tune and Dr's running mid 11's all day long putting down 520 RWHP.
    BTW the Roush Charger Sucks, it was posted at 427hp, but most don't see 390 unless retuned and pullied, the factory installs are built real safe so they are non performers.

    The real Superchargers are Kenny Bell, Wipple and Saleen, with a few supporting mods they are putting 500+ to the wheels with little work.

    My N/A Mustang stock with just a K&N Air Charger intake (Remeber it's an Automatic)




    and anyway are are you arguing with me on this, Mod for Mod the 5.7 -6.2 will always make more power thats why displacment is good. but you have got to admit that with the 4.6L 3-valve engine is putting down some impressive times and numbers for what they are. Sure I wish it had a larger engine but I bought it because it sounds nice, it looks great and it's fun to drive, the racing part just came later. Will I have more fun with a L76 or LS3 Camaro you bet ya, will I still drive my Mustang... Yup I love this car.

    Excessive Motorsports is a local mustang shop in manassas, va.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-25-2008 at 08:54 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Bottesini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denton, Texas soon Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,955

    Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Drivers are the best Mod, I have had a different experience with the groups I am in, maybe we are better drivers, I mean I run 12.4 on a Stock engine and tranny. with only bolt-ons so what can I tell you.
    Remember you two are on opposite ends of the continent which could explain quite a bit.

  9. #29
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    My N/A Mustang stock with just a K&N Air Charger intake (Remeber it's an Automatic)
    Click for full size
    Interesting. I saw an '06 Roush GT (N/A) automatic car put down 244rwhp bone-stock - but I know numbers vary...

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Interesting. I saw an '06 Roush GT (N/A) automatic car put down 244rwhp bone-stock - but I know numbers vary...
    They do alot, the 5R55S tranny the only way to get a true reading is to lock the TC, if you don't the trans always wants to kick down and it's a pain to get the numbers correct. some just do the pull in 3rd to avoid this but then the numbers are lower. the only way to get a true HP reading is during a dyno tune so the tuner can lock the TC.

  11. #31
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    They do alot, the 5R55S tranny the only way to get a true reading is to lock the TC, if you don't the trans always wants to kick down and it's a pain to get the numbers correct. some just do the pull in 3rd to avoid this but then the numbers are lower. the only way to get a true HP reading is during a dyno tune so the tuner can lock the TC.
    Definitely makes sense to lock the TC to avoid kickdown. I've rode in an M5 S197, not yet had the chance to experiece an A5 version though. I imagine it is 1000x better than the older AOD-E equipped ponies. Is the 5R55S the same tranny in the auto '03-04 Mach's?

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Remember you two are on opposite ends of the continent which could explain quite a bit.
    Maybe but some of the socal guys on the forums are doing very well with their mods.

    the Air Temp plays a big part as well, these engines hate heat, I would hot lap and loose a 10th on each pass. let it cool down and I run 12.4 again,

    Plus most mustang drivers I see at the track are young guys, new to drag racing, they have a lot to learn. I started racing in the 70's with my TA so I have a bit more experience than most.

    My first time back to the track after 25 + years was less than steller, I ran 13.3 with just a intake, UDP and gears. but not bad
    the Track is in the mountains 600 ft the DA was close to 2000 ft
    Mason Dixon Raceway.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=h61Flo14eRE

    I get better times at Maryland International Raceway since they are at 100ft and the air is always better there.
    so I will run 2 10ths better at MIR

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Definitely makes sense to lock the TC to avoid kickdown. I've rode in an M5 S197, not yet had the chance to experiece an A5 version though. I imagine it is 1000x better than the older AOD-E equipped ponies. Is the 5R55S the same tranny in the auto '03-04 Mach's?
    Oh no, the 5R55S is a new trans, I think it came from the Jaguar or Lincoln LS line, the S197 shares these platforms.

    The 03/04 Mach-1 Ford put the 4R70W The new 5R55S is physically smaller then the 4R70W. So far the 5R55S has been tested with 450 to 550 RWHP and was relatively trouble-free. so it looks like a good tranny.

    The Computer contolled Pressure and shift points allow the driver to adjust the shifts at different speeds and how hard it will shift. I can scratch 2nd, chirp 3rd and can smoke the tires with a 20mph downshift, kinda cool with an auto.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-25-2008 at 08:51 PM.

  14. #34
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Oh no, the 5R55S is a new trans, I think it came from the Jaguar or Lincoln LS line, the S197 shares these platforms.

    The 03/04 Mach-1 Ford put the 4R70W The new 5R55S is physically smaller then the 4R70W. So far the 5R55S has been tested with 450 to 550 RWHP and was relatively trouble-free. so it looks like a good tranny.

    The Computer contolled Pressure and shift points allow the driver to adjust the shifts at different speeds and how hard it will shift. I can scratch 2nd, chirp 3rd and can smoke the tires with a 20mph downshift, kinda cool with an auto.
    Yeah I love automatics. I've got a Built 700R4 (4L60 Non "E") by Trans Star w/ a G-Men update kit, 9 clutch pack, Beast Sun Gear shell, HD sprags, billet servo's, Kolene plates, etc etc.. It's a blast to launch!

  15. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Interesting. I saw an '06 Roush GT (N/A) automatic car put down 244rwhp bone-stock - but I know numbers vary...
    a roush GT is just a regular GT with a body kit. Saleen builds better cars anyway. look at the Parnelli Jones, it's a bit pricy for what you get but a Boss 302 N/A putting down close to 400hp is quite impressive.

    here are some stock numbers (all the way down to the paper filters) from the Mustang Forums. (you can search them if you like, but I am not a liar)
    TMSBrad 2006 4.6 265.89 280.05 Automatic
    Ruffnuts 2007 4.6 272.00 286.00 Manual
    06VistaGT 4.6 265.12 286.26 Manual
    Vwillo 2006 4.6 267.05 291.14 Automatic

    Here is a list of some dyno sheets and associated mods.
    http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=678976

    You can see that the numbers do fluxuate but the average between the Manual and automatics is about 10hp. Remember that I had mine tested with the K&N Non tune Aircharger intake and K&N estimates 15 hp increase. whatever,, most of you know that BS but it's marketing .
    I wish I would have had the stock airbox with me to test with both, a baseline would have been cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Yeah I love automatics. I've got a Built 700R4 (4L60 Non "E") by Trans Star w/ a G-Men update kit, 9 clutch pack, Beast Sun Gear shell, HD sprags, billet servo's, Kolene plates, etc etc.. It's a blast to launch!
    Quite an impressive setup, I bet you are pulling close to a 1.6 60' with that setup awesome. can you get air under the front tires?

    If I did not daily drive my Mustang I might just pull the trigger and build up my tranny with a 3500 stall, and maybe get some Linelocks to keep from smoking my rear breaks . I would like to get a hard launch from mine, these wimpy 1600 rpm launches suck.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-25-2008 at 09:38 PM.

  16. #36
    Speed Racer 99 Kobra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    209

    White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

    R compound tires and racing slicks get really slippery after their prime. Same thing with drag radials?
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

  17. #37
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Last year I ran 12.8 with just intake, tune, gears, UDP, LCA
    and I have an Automatic, a manual can do it with just intake and tune,

    Here is the video ....
    http://www.youtube.com/v/j2sj72uFsVg&hl=en

    Here are some in the 12's with mods listed
    http://www.mustangforums.com/timesli...TimeSlipID=464

    http://www.mustangforums.com/timesli...TimeSlipID=499




    I know that a 5.7 or 6.0 motor will perform better, no replacment for displacment
    I agree, I hope you would run faster than a mustang with the same mods, that would only make sense.

    The LSx Motors are the best engines built to date I agree, Yes the Mustang has always been underpowered, I agree
    The Camaro will always be faster than the Mustang, I agree.. Don't raise a BS flag when I am only trying to state facts
    Chill out

    I am not here to argue, I am here to learn and to teach. I am a future Camaro Owner (2010) already have the down payment in.
    I love Cars Period, I don't care about brands. I Buy what I like, simple as that.


    I like this guy

  18. #38
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
    Quite an impressive setup, I bet you are pulling close to a 1.6 60' with that setup awesome. can you get air under the front tires?

    If I did not daily drive my Mustang I might just pull the trigger and build up my tranny with a 3500 stall, and maybe get some Linelocks to keep from smoking my rear breaks . I would like to get a hard launch from mine, these wimpy 1600 rpm launches suck.
    My best 60 is 1.71 on an 11.2 run. The Nitto 555r's aren't the best drag radial tire. They are however the best all around drag radial IMO, as far as streetability - i've owned BFG and M/T dr's before. My car definitely has more on the table. I can't get much traction with them. With slicks out back i'm virtually sure i'll be in the 10's.

  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I like this guy
    Thanks, I am an old guy, a grandfather of 2, I have built engines in the past, I raced in the late 70's to early 80's. I am a realist, I mean come on, do people really think that a normally asperated 4.6l could out power a 5.7L mod for mod?
    if they do then they need their head examined the physics are not there.
    what else can I say? the only Mustangs I have ever liked was the 67-72 years. I loved my 1971 455 Trans Am, white with blue stripes and a shaker scoop. man I loved that car.
    Last edited by 2K05GT; 05-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.

  20. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    74

    Mineral Grey
    2005 Mustang GT

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    My best 60 is 1.71 on an 11.2 run. The Nitto 555r's aren't the best drag radial tire. They are however the best all around drag radial IMO, as far as streetability - i've owned BFG and M/T dr's before. My car definitely has more on the table. I can't get much traction with them. With slicks out back i'm virtually sure i'll be in the 10's.
    easy, if you can pull around 1.5's you will see 10.9's what engine work do you have?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. me vs supercharged mustang?
    By mikey gavin in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 08:57 AM
  2. 01 SS Camaro vs. Supercharged 06 mustang GT
    By WICKEDLS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM
  3. 02 z28 VS 96 mustang GT supercharged
    By PAT-LS101 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
  4. So...I just drove a '97 Mustang GT Supercharged...
    By kickflippin1 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 05:56 AM
  5. Want to Trade Supercharged 475 HP Mustang for 96 - 00 WS6 0r SS
    By Spower in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •