Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Stupid Cobalt SS driver.

So here I was on my way home minding my own business down HWY 64 after getting off work a lil while ago. Im already doing 65 in a 55 (5 lane highway little traffic no enforcement this late this close to the county line) passing a car. I see tail lights riding my bumper. As as soon as I clear the car this s#$% pulls over in the right lane and drives by likes hes doing something special in his little blue Cobalt. OK whatever idiot. He slows down and I eventually catch back up (I never sped up still cruising 65). He nails it again. Must be joking right? (mind you he doesn't shoot when he stomps it just kinda pulls away). Again slow down again same thing only this time I hit it and stay in it till about 80 ahead of him the whole 2 or 3 seconds but the light ahead just turned red so I stop real quick. Now were at the light and he rev's. I laugh drop in in 1st wait for green roll just enough to not spin and stomp it at the stupid twit. Before I even hit 2nd he was like 3 or 4 behind or more. I stay in it all the way to about 100 ( to put as many lengths so he wont do a stupid ricer fly by) bump into 3rd and let off. I'm like 2+ busses (literally) ahead of him and I see him turn off real quick. If I beat him that bad what made him think he had a chance?

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    So here I was on my way home minding my own business down HWY 64 after getting off work a lil while ago. Im already doing 65 in a 55 (5 lane highway little traffic no enforcement this late this close to the county line) passing a car. I see tail lights riding my bumper. As as soon as I clear the car this s#$% pulls over in the right lane and drives by likes hes doing something special in his little blue Cobalt. OK whatever idiot. He slows down and I eventually catch back up (I never sped up still cruising 65). He nails it again. Must be joking right? (mind you he doesn't shoot when he stomps it just kinda pulls away). Again slow down again same thing only this time I hit it and stay in it till about 80 ahead of him the whole 2 or 3 seconds but the light ahead just turned red so I stop real quick. Now were at the light and he rev's. I laugh drop in in 1st wait for green roll just enough to not spin and stomp it at the stupid twit. Before I even hit 2nd he was like 3 or 4 behind or more. I stay in it all the way to about 100 ( to put as many lengths so he wont do a stupid ricer fly by) bump into 3rd and let off. I'm like 2+ busses (literally) ahead of him and I see him turn off real quick. If I beat him that bad what made him think he had a chance?
    what are your mods? stock for stock you'd still walk him...but if he had a Stage 2 youd be suprised

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Cobalts are a joke, I keep hearing how with this stage 2 kit they can hang with an LS1. This kid around here was babbling about a pulley and all this shit he had. I put so many car lengths on him I almost felt bad about it. He has since traded it in.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

my mommys got a cobalt.

i took that thing up to 120 the first time she let me borrow it.

THE WS6 THAT COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    Cobalts are a joke, I keep hearing how with this stage 2 kit they can hang with an LS1. This kid around here was babbling about a pulley and all this shit he had. I put so many car lengths on him I almost felt bad about it. He has since traded it in.
    im not going to side with the cobalt because i have an ls1 lol but my friend has a stage 2 cobalt ss running 13.4-13.6 @ 109....ive seen him beat stock ls1's so i dont doubt them anymore

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

cobalts really are a joke. that stage two is running those numbers. a stock ls1 with drag radials would still hand it its ass. front wheel drive aint hanging with rear wheel torque, even if theres blower whine.
    im not trying to say i dont like the domestic four bangers, im just so damn tired of everyone around me talking them up like they are the mustard. a pulley swap on a little m90 blower on top of that four cylinder wont really do much. now if its turbo boost then thats a little more significant of a gain, but not much. high psi is a 4 cylinders only shot. a roots style blower wont produce the boost to make a cobalt ss very relevant in the horsepower game. any tracked cobalt will need to run a turbo and a compensating fuel system to run any significant trap speeds. the blower on the cobalt is holding it back from being in the hunt with the srt 4.

if i was in the market for a quick force induced four banger, i would take the amount of money spent on the lazy stage two cobalt and get into a solstice gxp.

also, niterider, click the link in my sig if youre intersted....
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48861

99 Z28 04 Corvette

My buddies 94 z28 with a catback handed the cobalt SS it's ass, right after my stock 99 z28 stomped it. The kid probably couldn't drive but cobalts still get no repsect from me.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

I personally like the Cobalts. Being a GM guy I wouldnt mind it at all for a DD. Not to say they are anywhere in the same class as a LS1 just that I'm sure it would be a nice DD especially w/ a little modifying and still get 20+ mpg. If I had lots of cash i might consider gettin a Cobalt SS as a DD.
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    I personally like the Cobalts. Being a GM guy I wouldnt mind it at all for a DD. Not to say they are anywhere in the same class as a LS1 just that I'm sure it would be a nice DD especially w/ a little modifying and still get 20+ mpg. If I had lots of cash i might consider gettin a Cobalt SS as a DD.
    Well said.

I feel the same way, they may not be fast, but they were't designed to be drag cars. They are just fun little cars to zip around in. I would love one for a DD.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

them as DDs suck. i get better gas mileage in my 92 3.1 lumina.

the gas mileage would probably be very similar to driving an ls1 carefully

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post

Okay...but somehow I don't think your 92 Lumina is nearly as fun or sporty to drive as an SS S/C. No comparison actually.

It would be nice to have a fun car for any everyday driver instead of a beater.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Thumbs down

Really kid, c'mon...... you just compared a 92 lumina and a Cobalt SS.

And even if you did pull that kinda mileage out of a LS1 which I guess its possible, wheres the fun? Beating on the car like you're supposed to and gettin that mpg or drivin with an eggshell underneath your foot?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Okay...but somehow I don't think your 92 Lumina is nearly as fun or sporty to drive as an SS S/C. No comparison actually.

It would be nice to have a fun car for any everyday driver instead of a beater.
    yea thats very true. i was just talkin about gas mileage.

although, to compare pros and cons of both....
    the lumina has much mroe low end torque, and great throttle response.
    the cobalt has shitty as hell low end torque, and it takes like 3 and a half seconds for throttle response. its the most annoying thing. that alone will keep me away from the car

the cobalts transmission downshifting feels really cool, and up top its fast as hell (compared to the lumina) and pulls all the way to 120.
    once u get to 60 in the lumina it doesnt pull as well

comfort:
    lumina=A+++++
    cobalt=B-

those are just some of the factors to consider. of course reliability would be much better with the cobalt cuz its new, and im only comparing those 2 cars cuz i have experience with both. im not tryin to convince anyone to buy a lumina lol, im just saying that alot about the cobalts arent that great

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    Really kid, c'mon...... you just compared a 92 lumina and a Cobalt SS.

And even if you did pull that kinda mileage out of a LS1 which I guess its possible, wheres the fun? Beating on the car like you're supposed to and gettin that mpg or drivin with an eggshell underneath your foot?
    shit. sorry i forgot we were specifically talkin about cobalt ss.
    read my last post tho.

and the cobalt gets like 24mpg when driving nicely, almost as little as the ls1.
    if u drive it hard, u will get into the teens, just like an ls1.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

yea thats very true. i was just talkin about gas mileage.

although, to compare pros and cons of both....
    the lumina has much mroe low end torque, and great throttle response.
    the cobalt has shitty as hell low end torque, and it takes like 3 and a half seconds for throttle response. its the most annoying thing. that alone will keep me away from the car

the cobalts transmission downshifting feels really cool, and up top its fast as hell (compared to the lumina) and pulls all the way to 120.
    once u get to 60 in the lumina it doesnt pull as well
    You are comparing your car to a regular 2.2 base model automatic Cobalt. There is a no comparison between that and the SS S/C model.

In reality, the Lumina's 3.1 actually has less torque than the Cobalts Supercharged 2.0. Cobalt SS/SC's put down about 185lb/ft at the wheels stock, no way an old 3.1 puts down anything close to that at the wheels. Unlike turbo 4 cylinders, which have no low end torque and are laggy as hell, the Supercharger can supply instantaneos boost at any RPM, which means good low end and excellent throttle response. I've driven the car, and the low end power is comparable to that of a midrange displacement V6.

Overall it would make a great DD. Its a small car, its got a flexible powerband (for a 4 cylinder), it handles great, its fun to drive, and you can still net around 20MPG driving it in a spirited manner.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

that is why i apologized for not talking about the ss

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

that is why i apologized for not talking about the ss
    Gotcha.

No need to apologize, I see that you corrected yourself

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Mods wise I have Free mods, LS6 intake, Lid, bellows, Ported, MAF, SLP 1.85's, Z06 Valve springs, True duals dumped before axleand some suspension stuff. I know a stage 2 would have been closer this had to be a standard SC one if he was SC'd at all (don't remember if there was a supercharged badge just saw the SS and wing) as I left him like he was sitting still and with my traction my 1/4's have yet to beat 13.3.

I love the cobalts and I am actually still thinking about getting one for a DD now that I am dumping more serious mods in my Camaro. But theres no way If I was stock or stockish I'd think I had a chance vs an LS1. The TD's would let me know it wasn't all stock. I would say he didn't know I had a V8 (I debadged it) but seeing how he came from behind theres no way he could have mistaken the TD'S unless he was one of the clueless ones. Oh well he knows now .

pink!!! haha
    Mustang Gt

I had a cobalt ss walk me like i was standing still from a 60drop...and i have some modds done to my car, full (long tubes)exhaust,gears,tune, gears..wasn't sprayin..i know that isn't say much for a gt but a cobalt can be made into something quick..its all bout money and preference. but stock they are nothing..walked my friends cobalt from a dig and gave him 2car length head start..good kill though..

Thread Information