Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Stock termmy wants some of the goat

This is a discussion on Stock termmy wants some of the goat within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by doodad I totally agree. there are TON of people who are making 450+rwhp 470+rwtq in cobras and ...

2000 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    I totally agree. there are TON of people who are making 450+rwhp 470+rwtq in cobras and still runnng mid-low 12s. my buddy has a 03 cobra with 475rwhp -509rwtq and his best is 12.1@119 and my other buddy has 03 cobra the same mods as i do plus heat exchanger and his best is 12.2@116mph so far.
    my point is, the car has TONs of balls with the right driver.
    I hear that. Has to be one of the best cars to mod ever.
    i made 455rwhp - 478rwtq and my car weighted with me in it 3870lbs.

i raced my buddy's 535rwhp-479rwtq vortech blown 01 mustang GT from a 60mph till 140mph dead even the entire way. the good thing about roots blower is they make awesome avarage hp. while that vortec blown car was building the power, my power was already on the ground. i hope you understand what i mean.
    Sure do, everyone drools over the torque curve (or lack of) on a roots style blower. There is a guy on another Forum in a maggie'd Vette that routinely takes out centri blower and turbo'd cars with 100+ more PEAK hp.
    I ran 11.34@121.9mph with 1.68 60' full weight, no port, stock IRS, 6-speed. I have trapped 123mph best of so far.
    here is the in car video of my run:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...ad00c04a3c.htm
    Definately checking that one out. Great 60' time, I think my output shaft would shatter if I tried that on mine right now.

I am shooting for 11.1 or faster as the car sits on a very cool fall weather hopefully without breaking anything. as you see, the car runs like mofo when it is driven right. I am not the best driver and i am not bragging about my driving skills. i am just talking about the car, don't get me wrong on this anyone.
    Good luck on making your run. I want to get to the track one more time before the car goes in for my blower to try and hit 12.5. I have only been once and only managed a 12.8 with my car. It was definately a blast though.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmeadows View Post
    I know for a fact he is not spraying and he said he sent the blower to cali and had it ported. could have been an aftermarket blower but i was pretty sure it was stock, I know the numbers are correct, but I will take your word for what stock cobras are capable of.
    I don't care what port job he had there is no 03/04 making over 550 rwhp SAE on the stock Eaton. And if he made 680 rwhp on the spray he was spraying the shit out of it. A buddy of mine is an inlaw to Johnny Lightning and he gets these special tunes. I've done a lot of work on his 03 including a LT install, pulleys, full exhaust, bottle and fiannly a KB. When he still had the Eaton I put a six lower on it and a 2.80 upper making close to 19-20 psi. With the chip he got from Johnny he made 515 rwhp and 560 rwt SAE on a Dynojet. I put a dry kit on it spraying through an .047 jet it made around 580 hp and around 680 rwt.

He had to have a Whipple or a KB.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Pumped03 View Post
    I don't care what port job he had there is no 03/04 making over 550 rwhp SAE on the stock Eaton. And if he made 680 rwhp on the spray he was spraying the shit out of it. A buddy of mine is an inlaw to Johnny Lightning and he gets these special tunes. I've done a lot of work on his 03 including a LT install, pulleys, full exhaust, bottle and fiannly a KB. When he still had the Eaton I put a six lower on it and a 2.80 upper making close to 19-20 psi. With the chip he got from Johnny he made 515 rwhp and 560 rwt SAE on a Dynojet. I put a dry kit on it spraying through an .047 jet it made around 580 hp and around 680 rwt.

Pumped...you have just "pwned" the thread.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I agree, every tuner I have talked to, the limit on a stock 03/04 is maxed right around 550rwhp....

stock blower will BARELY make 550rwhp on an agressive tune and thats it. You cant make 687rwhp on a stock blower, he had to have aftermarket blower at around 25+psi on race gas to be able to make that power and that depends on the blower size and tune. some people ran with ported cobras 10.8s best of i think. if your wife's cousin, says that it is stock blower, i am sorry but he is fooling you. or he is spraying!
    Yep...not going to see 6xx HP with an Eaton, no matter how fast you turn it; I am pushing 568 with every bolton possble, including a 2.76 pulley and cams. That's why I am getting an new blower.

It's been my experience that most Cobra owners focus so much on getting maximum power; and they overlook, or put off, upgrading with the necessary components to get the power to the ground. Once you hit 500 hp at the wheels, launching a Cobra becomes a science that takes practice. And, even then, a sub 2-second 60 foot time becomes difficult. Good drivers can get them into the 1.8 to 1.95 range; great drivers will get them less.

I got tired of getting beat out of the hole and having to run people down; that's when I decided to upgrade the half-shafts and install a Detroit Locker.

The bottom line is you got to get the power to the ground, or all that HP is useless.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 告lver吵ake View Post
    The bottom line is you got to get the power to the ground, or all that HP is useless.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra

Thumbs down

Once you hit 500 hp at the wheels, launching a Cobra becomes a science that takes practice. And, even then, a sub 2-second 60 foot time becomes difficult. Good drivers can get them into the 1.8 to 1.95 range; great drivers will get them less.

what do u mean it is hard to launch and only good drivers can be around 1.8-1.9 60' range? you mean on slicks? drag radials? or regular street tires?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

damn. doodad can fuckin drive

what do u mean it is hard to launch and only good drivers can be around 1.8-1.9 60' range? you mean on slicks? drag radials? or regular street tires?
    Just calm down....

I was referring to street tires or DRs....the original post implied that this GTO vs Cobra race was taking place on the street since the first encounter took place while they were leaving work.

I saw the video with the 1.6x 60' time....pretty good launch with slicks on the track. With more practice, you should have 1.5x in no time.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 告lver吵ake
    It's been my experience that most Cobra owners focus so much on getting maximum power; and they overlook, or put off, upgrading with the necessary components to get the power to the ground. Once you hit 500 hp at the wheels, launching a Cobra becomes a science that takes practice. And, even then, a sub 2-second 60 foot time becomes difficult. Good drivers can get them into the 1.8 to 1.95 range; great drivers will get them less.

I got tired of getting beat out of the hole and having to run people down; that's when I decided to upgrade the half-shafts and install a Detroit Locker.

I hope you are talking about street tires because MT ET Streets or BFG DR's will put down 1.6's easily. I even hit a few 1.56's when I had the Eaton and a 3.90 gear to boot. I've owned three IRS Cobras and I can feather it off the line. When I put the Eaton on I knew my clutch was about toast and I was leaving the line at 3-3.5k the few passes I put on it at Rockingham and it was pulling 1.56's on every pass. There is no doubt in my mind with I could have pulled some 1.4's if I beat on it and that was on the stock IRS except Eibach springs on the rear and MM's C/O's on the front on stock shocks. I htink the stock IRS can handle a hell of a lot of beating especially if you put a set of good bushings in it. I had maybe 300 passes on mine before I sold it with the original clutch still in it but the KB about had it toast before I sold it. Even at that it was running 11.1's at 130 plus and 7.1's at 105. With a new clutch it should have dug deep into the 10's and sixes.

I hope you are talking about street tires because MT ET Streets or BFG DR's will put down 1.6's easily. I even hit a few 1.56's when I had the Eaton and a 3.90 gear to boot. I've owned three IRS Cobras and I can feather it off the line. When I put the Eaton on I knew my clutch was about toast and I was leaving the line at 3-3.5k the few passes I put on it at Rockingham and it was pulling 1.56's on every pass. There is no doubt in my mind with I could have pulled some 1.4's if I beat on it and that was on the stock IRS except Eibach springs on the rear and MM's C/O's on the front on stock shocks. I htink the stock IRS can handle a hell of a lot of beating especially if you put a set of good bushings in it. I had maybe 300 passes on mine before I sold it with the original clutch still in it but the KB about had it toast before I sold it. Even at that it was running 11.1's at 130 plus and 7.1's at 105. With a new clutch it should have dug deep into the 10's and sixes.

My clarification is in the message just above your post.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    For Now, all stock internals, in DEC, stroked lowed compression and a 2.5" pulley, should be around 650-700rwhp.....@ least thats what exotic performance plus tells me.....we'll see, I did pay more for a different helix on the scews to get more boost out of it than the mass produced magnacharger, it has a 3.5" pulley on it now I have a 3" and a 2.5" already in the garage to swap out
    EPP? is that the same one out of fort wayne?

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    EPP? is that the same one out of fort wayne?
    Yep, the very same....

2000 Corvette

So any updates?

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by powermad View Post
    So any updates?
    No, havent seen the guy, I'm on Midnights, so not really looking for a race...lol, tired and grumpy......you guys will be the 1st to know.....

Awaiting Activation
    My clarification is in the message just above your post.
    Yep, slam over looked that one.

But, BFG DR's are helluva tires. They stick even better than MT ET Streets. Maybe even too good. I bought a set of the new MT ET Steets in the 17's and mounted them on stock 03 wheels and those were damned good hooking tires. I had trouble the few passes I made with the KB. I thought I woas losing traction. There was two times I thought I was going to hit the wall and pretty much gave up and braced for impact when the car got back under me. It turned out 8 psi in the 17's is bad. I wore out two sets of 16's with my 03 running 8 psi. It doesn't look like .5 inch less side wall would have much affect. By the time I got the tires figured out my clutch was toast. The best pass it ran was 7.15 at 105. I ended up selling it last year. I would have liked to see what it would have ran with a good clutch and the 3.90 gear. I don't care what some smart asses on Mod Ford say, a 3.90 gear is good up to 600 plus rwhp.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    Yep, the very same....
    where abouts are you from around fort wayne?

...I would have liked to see what it would have ran with a good clutch and the 3.90 gear. I don't care what some smart asses on Mod Ford say, a 3.90 gear is good up to 600 plus rwhp.
    Glad the 3.90 weren't too much for you. I have 4.10s; that's why I have a Detroit Locker and 568 rwhp. I have a KB 2.8H on order now. I hope they are not too much.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Glad the 3.90 weren't too much for you. I have 4.10s; that's why I have a Detroit Locker and 568 rwhp. I have a KB 2.8H on order now. I hope they are not too much.
    Try 4.30's in a 9" on a squeezed LT1. Makes for violent acceleration to say the least!
    97 Z28 1LE #53 11.08/122.84 N/A, 9.82/131.06 150-shot

02 WS6 M6, STOCK H/C/I, 3189 lbs., 11.77/113.02 (1.59 60')

08 Mercedez C63 AMG, FOR SALE!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/2008-mercedez-c63-amg-108586/

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    where abouts are you from around fort wayne?
    No, I'm way down south, Evansville area...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information