Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

SRT8 Charger VS F-Body

This is a discussion on SRT8 Charger VS F-Body within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; ...

  1. #21
    Last edited by tmarr11; 09-25-2006 at 06:11 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by therobman View Post
    did i ever say i was stock no i said with mods i have around 350rwhp and beat it by 5-6 cars meanin a stock one that prob has arounbd 300 rwhp will be right there with it so good one
    PONYSLAYER02 and therobman:

    Okay, so would you guys say the majority of all LS1 Camaros (stock) have 300 or more rwhp? "The M6's dyno around 290-300WHP, while the A4's dyno 270-280WHP."

    Now, a good rule of thumb I've heard for quite a while is 10HP=.1second=1car length. Now if he's got a M6 trans, if all things are equal (tires, maintenance, etc) if the person is a good driver (as therobman stated) then its probably got 300rwhp and can hang.

    Now therobman says he's got around 350rwhp in his A4 and if the above rule of thumb is valid then he might be able to give him a good run...but giving

    HOWEVER....IF he's a A4, then he's got as much as 280rwhp. Put that same rule down and he probably won't.

    Dead-even as therobman states, it won't be.

    Top speed, yep, I'll give the edge to the Camaro or T/A due to large tires and mass of the Charger versus the aerodynamics and (can't believe I'm saying this, but) weight of the Camaro - lol At the same time, stock for stock rev limiters need to be taken into account - see below:

    Here's some info from a site I've seen referenced a few times. Fade2Black - take a look:
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.2 13.7
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.2 13.6
    1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.3 13.9 (C&D Jun '98)
    1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.1 13.4
    2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (WS6) 4.9 13.4

    2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 5.0. 13.5 (MT Dec.'05)

    I also have a R&T (October 2006)
    2005 Chrysler 300C SRT8 4.9 13.3 (top speed of 165mph - electronically limited)

    Enginerpower.com showed a 2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition did the following:
    2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition 5.1 13.9 (top speed 155mph)

    Also showne as a 2002 Pontiac T/A WS6:
    2002 Pontiac T/A WS6 5.2 13.4 (top speed 175mph) big difference even compared with the Camaro

    Either way - wish I could be there. If you do it Fade2Black get a video of it and good luck - play safe!!!
    Last edited by tmarr11; 09-26-2006 at 12:33 PM.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose area
    Posts
    273

    Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

    I've ran down and pulled on a couple of LS-1s so I've got to say stock vs. stock it's the SRT-8. Low 13s are just about guaranteed in SRT-8s.

    From a roll, definitely the SRT-8. Excellent top end, most dyno 360-365rwhp and the hp peak is at 6000-6200rpm. It will top out over 170mph.

    A C5 LLS-1 Corvette would be a closer race, actually.

  4. #24
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    I actually just caught an SRT-8 charger on the freeway today(about an hour ago) I'm assuming he was stock except an exhaust, it sounded great. But I caught up to him and rolled down my window, he rolled down his and kind of pointed ahead like let's go I'll give you the jump, so I slowed down to about 40 and dropped it in 3rd, he must have dropped a gear as well cause I could hear it. And I yelled we'll go from 65 on 3 he said ok, soI honked we hit it and he hung till about 85, and edged me a little when I hit 4th, but by 115 he was about 1.5-2 cars back. Good race I had fun, but the Ls-2 is probably a little different than an LS-1, but those cars are fast.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

  5. #25
    fraz fraz1le's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London Ky
    Age
    45
    Posts
    128

    black
    1998 WS6

    Thumbs up

    I'm going with the ls1 with a good driver. I drove my car from the lot brand new in 99 to the track and ran 13.09 @ 107.9, and went 12.65 @ 110 on nittos and a lid a few weeks later. My car is a 1le I guess that helps some.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose area
    Posts
    273

    Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    I actually just caught an SRT-8 charger on the freeway today(about an hour ago) I'm assuming he was stock except an exhaust, it sounded great. But I caught up to him and rolled down my window, he rolled down his and kind of pointed ahead like let's go I'll give you the jump, so I slowed down to about 40 and dropped it in 3rd, he must have dropped a gear as well cause I could hear it. And I yelled we'll go from 65 on 3 he said ok, soI honked we hit it and he hung till about 85, and edged me a little when I hit 4th, but by 115 he was about 1.5-2 cars back. Good race I had fun, but the Ls-2 is probably a little different than an LS-1, but those cars are fast.
    It sounds like he was manually shifting? That actually slows them down. Good run regardless.

  7. #27
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by fraz1le View Post
    I'm going with the ls1 with a good driver. I drove my car from the lot brand new in 99 to the track and ran 13.09 @ 107.9, and went 12.65 @ 110 on nittos and a lid a few weeks later. My car is a 1le I guess that helps some.
    What is about those 99 LS1 Z's and FRC's? Is it just me or is that the year model everybody goes mod crazy on 'em?
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

  8. #28
    Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Research Triangle Park, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,812

    Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

    Yesterday I was at a stoplight and an SRT8 Charger flew out of the GlaxoSmithKline plant. A black one. Nice car, but looks kinda big. I thought about running the red light to get him before he hit the highway. I waited, and when the light changed three cars were between me and him on the ramp. He punched it and LEFT while I was stuck behind a bunch of slowasses.

    I finally got around the roadblock and went 5 frickin exits on East Hwy. 40 looking for that Charger. I wanted to blow the doors off it so bad I could taste it!
    Last edited by Roastem; 09-29-2006 at 08:06 AM.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SO-CAL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    20

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 M6 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    I actually just caught an SRT-8 charger on the freeway today(about an hour ago) I'm assuming he was stock except an exhaust, it sounded great. But I caught up to him and rolled down my window, he rolled down his and kind of pointed ahead like let's go I'll give you the jump, so I slowed down to about 40 and dropped it in 3rd, he must have dropped a gear as well cause I could hear it. And I yelled we'll go from 65 on 3 he said ok, soI honked we hit it and he hung till about 85, and edged me a little when I hit 4th, but by 115 he was about 1.5-2 cars back. Good race I had fun, but the Ls-2 is probably a little different than an LS-1, but those cars are fast.
    I had nearly the same experience with an SRT-8 Charger, neck-in-neck to 110 then started inching him. Those things don't pull as hard past 110. Probably the wider tires and brickhouse aerodynamics. They hook much better from a dig though.

    Oh, whoever said A4 Fbody's don't dyno over 300rwhp:
    02 SS 307rwhp/326rwtq
    02 SS A4 dyno
    Last edited by danno-SS; 09-30-2006 at 08:26 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by danno-SS View Post
    I had nearly the same experience with an SRT-8 Charger, neck-in-neck to 110 then started inching him. Those things don't pull as hard past 110. Probably the wider tires and brickhouse aerodynamics. They hook much better from a dig though.

    Oh, whoever said A4 Fbody's don't dyno over 300rwhp:
    02 SS 307rwhp/326rwtq
    02 SS A4 dyno
    Didn't say they don't.....said not all do....also, this looks like a dynojet dyno read - which can be as good as 20hp difference compared to mustang dyno. Was this locked? What gear was it run to? Also, 65 - 72 degree temps when your doing the dynos definitely help compared to the 100+ degree dyno temps of the south......come on, quantify it...

  11. #31
    Rollo Tomassee AKIRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,887
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarr11 View Post
    Didn't say they don't.....said not all do....also, this looks like a dynojet dyno read - which can be as good as 20hp difference compared to mustang dyno. Was this locked? What gear was it run to? Also, 65 - 72 degree temps when your doing the dynos definitely help compared to the 100+ degree dyno temps of the south......come on, quantify it...
    Holy shit. Talk about having a hard on for belittling people's shit!
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SO-CAL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    20

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 M6 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarr11 View Post
    Didn't say they don't.....said not all do....also, this looks like a dynojet dyno read - which can be as good as 20hp difference compared to mustang dyno. Was this locked? What gear was it run to? Also, 65 - 72 degree temps when your doing the dynos definitely help compared to the 100+ degree dyno temps of the south......come on, quantify it...
    You never said the dyno numbers were for a Mustang dyno.

    As for quantifying it, those are SAE corrected numbers ... weather conditions are already factored in. The runs were done in D (3rd) not OD, convertor unlocked, stock everything, 6389mi on the clock. There was maybe a 20 minute cool-down before the runs.

    That quantified enough for you?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Holy shit. Talk about having a hard on for belittling people's shit!
    Just trying to get to it. Not belittling it one bit...just asking for the right kind of info to back it up - here - take a look... Like I said, I'm looking from an object perspective - don't try to read into the questions I asked. They are valid - on the other hand notice the findings I've seen in the past and some more I've found tonight:

    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-9026.html
    Horsepower @ wheels: 301.33
    Torque @ wheels: 316.08
    Dyno Type: DynoJet
    Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic

    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-9210.html
    Horsepower @ wheels: 293.40
    Torque @ wheels: 317.00
    Dyno Type: DynoJet
    Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic

    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1258057
    12-22-2005, 10:37 AM
    Cap'n Pete
    CF Senior Member
    I dyno'd my car last year on a hot, humid day. With an auto and 4.10's in the back, it put down 289 / 307 HP/TQ at the wheels. All I've got is a lid and a Flowmaster cat-back, which most guys agree do nothing for performance (only sound).

    03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
    SiggyZ
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    With only a lid/filter, my A4 car dynoed a best of 296 hp and 308 tq.

    03-17-2006, 11:10 PM
    Walford
    There were about 30 F-body LS1s, many unmodified and just there to get a base dyno. They all ran from the high 290's and up, most in the 310 range, which means that yes, Virginia, an LS1 is an LS1, all around 345 to 350 depending on year (and the day of the week it was built).

    The only Vette there was an auto and it pulled something in the 280s. Damned bass-ackward tranny!

    07-03-2006, 10:41 PM
    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by Black94Camaro
    LS1 = 275? That Is Not Correct....... Numbers discussed in previous replies are accurate...."

    Depends on the dyno. Mustang dyno that is about right. Not sure what the brand was, but my 98 Z/28 did 316/327 (to the wheels) with just a lid and cut out. These mods with an M6 car and DR's should put it in the 12's.

    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...trous_install/
    Our six-speed '01 Trans Am's LS1 had already been upgraded with SLP's air lid, mass air, and Y-pipe, along with a 180-degree thermostat and B&B TriFlo exhaust. With the stock computer tune in place, it made 318.2 hp and 329.6 lb-ft at the wheels--good enough for low-13-second quarter-mile times.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose area
    Posts
    273

    Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

    Quote Originally Posted by danno-SS View Post
    I had nearly the same experience with an SRT-8 Charger, neck-in-neck to 110 then started inching him. Those things don't pull as hard past 110. Probably the wider tires and brickhouse aerodynamics. They hook much better from a dig though.
    You're a bit off. They top out at over 170mph and the drag coefficient of the Charger SRT-8 is .355. Not great, but not bad at all. What is the Z-28 or T/A ??

  15. #35
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    I have to agree.....the New Chargers are a Brick..........I've only got to run a couple........too square for my taste..

  16. #36
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Slaughtered a Magnum today. At least a Hemi...I think dude thought he had a chance.
    He was cool about it though...grinning when he finally passed me on the highway after I got off it.


    Different cars dyno different.

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SO-CAL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    20

    Cyclone Grey
    2005 M6 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    You're a bit off. They top out at over 170mph and the drag coefficient of the Charger SRT-8 is .355. Not great, but not bad at all. What is the Z-28 or T/A ??
    It was in the GTO. Neck-in-neck until about 110, then the goat started inching ahead. Pulled maybe 3/4 car to the top of 4th, ~145. The goat's Cd is 0.31 BTW.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose area
    Posts
    273

    Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

    Quote Originally Posted by danno-SS View Post
    It was in the GTO. Neck-in-neck until about 110, then the goat started inching ahead. Pulled maybe 3/4 car to the top of 4th, ~145. The goat's Cd is 0.31 BTW.
    Got it. '05 GTOs are the 400hp, right? I assume yours was stock then?

  19. #39
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post
    I've ran down and pulled on a couple of LS-1s so I've got to say stock vs. stock it's the SRT-8. Low 13s are just about guaranteed in SRT-8s.

    From a roll, definitely the SRT-8. Excellent top end, most dyno 360-365rwhp and the hp peak is at 6000-6200rpm. It will top out over 170mph.

    A C5 LLS-1 Corvette would be a closer race, actually.
    Stock for stock the cars are running about the same 1/4 mile times......I can't find any out there where it's significantly different.......as for the Corvette...The C-5 Z06's were running 12.5's.....so that would be a good second on a SRT-8.....in drag racing terms that's not close at all......dont get me wrong....I'm glad Dodge is kicking the performance bar up some......I think all the car companies can put out good cars......then they leave it up to us to tweak and mod em to death.....I'd like to see Dodge put those things on a diet though.......I still say it's a bit "square" maybe round it some......

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose area
    Posts
    273

    Silver
    06 Charger SRT-8

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Stock for stock the cars are running about the same 1/4 mile times......I can't find any out there where it's significantly different.......as for the Corvette...The C-5 Z06's were running 12.5's.....so that would be a good second on a SRT-8.....in drag racing terms that's not close at all......dont get me wrong....I'm glad Dodge is kicking the performance bar up some......I think all the car companies can put out good cars......then they leave it up to us to tweak and mod em to death.....I'd like to see Dodge put those things on a diet though.......I still say it's a bit "square" maybe round it some......
    Definitely NOT Z-06 territory. Just stock C5s.

    The Charger SRT profile is much more streamlined than the 300C. The hood has a noticable slope except for the scoop. It's a huge platform and DCX hit a 4-door market segment, that's all.

    The Challenger will probably be too heavy as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Charger SRT8
    By RobertSS in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM
  2. 02 a4 camaro ss vs. srt8 charger.. need your help!
    By hmorris7000 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 11:29 PM
  3. Charger SRT8 taken down
    By JHayesLS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •