Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Smoked a New Saleen!

First off let me say that those new Saleen Mustangs are SWEET. I raced one Sunday afternoon that was black with chrome wheels, and it had a sweet sounding supercharger. Unlike the other mustangs I went after this weekend (nothing but excuses), this guy ran me down for a race. We went to a good spot I know, with good pavement, about a 1/4 mile, with good distance to stop. People seemed to come out of the woodworks to watch that race. It wasn't five minutes from "you wanna run that Saleen" and there were already 15 people there.

I raced the guy twice. First time, I am thinking I am gonna lose this race, and this Saleen has me covered, especially with a blower. But, I said what the hell, let's do it. Especially since I ran an 8.36 at 89 mph (in the 1/8 mile) with my Z28 on Saturday (street tires), I figured I might have a shot. Short and simple, I had him by 2 car lengths by the end of third gear, and he never had his front bumper even with mine, except at the start.

We came to a stop, and he proceeded to tell me he didn't get second and that he had 4000 miles on the odometer and no mods yet. He wanted a second race, one where he could try to run me down on top end, I guess. Second time, there was no one around and it was on a real long straight away, with no side roads, and only a couple houses. I had him beat in third, but I held it to the rev limiter in fourth just to see how far I could leave him. He was about 4 car lengths back when I hit 120.

I told him to get some good tires, and throw a pulley on it and some exhaust work, and come see me in a couple months! I should have the heads on it by that time!

Oh yeah, I blew the doors off a white 99-04 vert GT this weekend too. He had his girlfriend with him, pulled up beside me and I was rolling about 3K in third gear and we punched it at the same time. He got smoked BAD. At least I could still make out the Saleen in the rear view! Go back to the drawing board!
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

NBM
    '00 Z28

Good race! Good post too.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

DAMN! Those are your MODS and you killed that Saleen?!?!... Makes me glad I spent my money wisely on my LS1... Holy Christ!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i've seen an 05GT with a saleen added supercharger put down 350 rwhp here. so, it's believeable to me.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

good kill man
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Well, I thought I should have been beat, even with my mods. But, let's look at it. I studied a little on that model Saleen. I don't think it was an Extreme, but I know it did have a supercharger. The non-Extreme supercharged mustang makes 435/425. Taking 15% loss into effect, it should put 370/361 to the wheels. Mine is a stick also, and it put 372/367. I got extra wide tires on mine (295/35), with 4.10 gears. He had 3.55 gears and 275/40's. Plus, the Saleen is a bit hefty with a curb weight of 3550. The Z28 is supposedly at 3460. Plus, the weight of the driver's comes into effect, and he looked heavier than me. I think it was the gears that made the difference. If he does a few bolt-ons to that car, then it will be a different story.

BONUS! I got 12 grand total in mine (paid for) and his car STARTS at 51 grand, before options and TTL!

with those numbers it shouldnt be a problem at all. Those over priced slow ass saleens barely put down 350 to the tires with the Saleen setup. I love walking their ass then telling em Im all motor.
    Last edited by mogs01gt; 03-07-2006 at 03:59 AM.
    324hp/333tq

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    DAMN! Those are your MODS and you killed that Saleen?!?!... Makes me glad I spent my money wisely on my LS1... Holy Christ!
    I have little faith in the S197 GT's after smoking that Saleen. Hold on, let me rephrase that before every S197 GT owner with at least 400 rwhp in NC starts hunting me. "I overestimated the abilities of that ONE mustang." Is that politically correct?

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    with those numbers it shouldnt be a problem at all. Those over priced slow ass saleens barely put down 350 to the tires with the Saleen setup. I love walking their ass then telling em Im all motor.
    Quite satisfying indeed!

I would love to have 51 grand to dump into an LS1 camaro!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I CALL

j/k...i'm surprised no one said that yet

awesome kill man, and sweet mods!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    I CALL

j/k...i'm surprised no one said that yet

awesome kill man, and sweet mods!
    I know right. Have no mustang fanatics seen this?

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    I know right. Have no mustang fanatics seen this?

Nope, but I might need to do some Saleen hunting come summer time

Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

I wouldn't call me a Mustang fanatic, but I have never been too keen on the Saleens. When they first came out, the N/A versions were actually SLOWER than the stock GT and wouldn't pass CA emissions. Plus those hideous 20" wheels can't be good for accelleration. Don't get me started on that hideous spoiler.

From what I have read, the 4.6 in the s197 can't handle a lot of boost so the HP estimates are probably high for the Saleen.

Nice kill either way.

Actually the 4.6 can handle a lot of boost. There has been a few stock ones, yes completed stock shortblock that put down 600 with turbo setup on a dyno. Of course the owner does not drive with that on the street but the same can be said for the 1000rwhp Supra owners.

The bottom end is weak for anything above 500 but with the proper tune, they can handle 400rwhp all day long. Its in the tune. Most people who have their engine let go is because the tuner has too much timing in the upper RPMS. ok Im rambling now.

Legend Lime
    2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt
    Actually the 4.6 can handle a lot of boost. There has been a few stock ones, yes completed stock shortblock that put down 600 with turbo setup on a dyno. Of course the owner does not drive with that on the street but the same can be said for the 1000rwhp Supra owners.

The bottom end is weak for anything above 500 but with the proper tune, they can handle 400rwhp all day long. Its in the tune. Most people who have their engine let go is because the tuner has too much timing in the upper RPMS. ok Im rambling now.
    you may be right, but I have seen too many of those 4.6 blocks with those cheap ass powdered rods hanging out the side.

Quote Originally Posted by s197
    you may be right, but I have seen too many of those 4.6 blocks with those cheap ass powdered rods hanging out the side.
    ohh I have to .

Thread Information