Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SL600 vs MODDED WRX

This is a discussion on SL600 vs MODDED WRX within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Superluminal Really, my buddy had a 2002 WRX Wagon before he had his '09 STI. The car ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Really, my buddy had a 2002 WRX Wagon before he had his '09 STI. The car had full bolt ons and upped boost and ran mid 13s in the 1/4 mile easy. When he sold it the odometer read 146k miles. All he ever did was put oil in the thing. No mechanical failures.

How is it that ever import that comes into your shop is a leaking hunk of shit? Probably if it was taken care of like a normal person, and not some kid, it wouldn't be at your shop in the first place. I've seen some piss poor LS1s that weren't taken care of... shame...shame.
    The Subaru 2.5 head gasket problems are a well known issue. Even my friend who is a die hard Subaru fan admits they are junk. Any engine that blows head gaskets every 75K miles is a pile. On a lighter note, I haven't head of the issue affecting the 2.5 WRX's or STi engines though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The Subaru 2.5 head gasket problems are a well known issue. Even my friend who is a die hard Subaru fan admits they are junk. Any engine that blows head gaskets every 75K miles is a pile. On a lighter note, I haven't head of the issue affecting the 2.5 WRX's or STi engines though.
    I've heard of the 2.5L (non-STI) models having issues. Never dealt with them. Just the 2.0L and the 2.5 STI. The only weakness I saw in the old 2.0L cars was the drivetrain; however, if you preload the clutch correctly before launching it won't shock the drivetrain that bad. STI, you can beat that shit all day.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I've heard of the 2.5L (non-STI) models having issues. Never dealt with them. Just the 2.0L and the 2.5 STI. The only weakness I saw in the old 2.0L cars was the drivetrain; however, if you preload the clutch correctly before launching it won't shock the drivetrain that bad. STI, you can beat that shit all day.
    The 2.5 turbo long block is the same for the STI/WRX(now it has the 2.5)/LGT/forester/baja. Only the intake manifold/turbo/intercooler/tuning is different between the models. The 03+ 2.5 does not have the head gasket problems that the earlier 2.0/2.2/2.5 had. It is a know fact that the early 2.5/2.0/2.2 had major head gaskets problems that would leak usually around 80-110kmiles. Its also a know fact that subaru addressed the head gasket problems with the new 03+ 2.5 long block. I know hundreds upon hundreds of 2.5 turbo subarus that have 70K+miles on them and no head gasket problems. I just hit 70k in mine and have been pushing 17psi for the last 40kmiles with not one problem. I burn no oil. The car has been amazingly reliable and I know tons of people who have had the same experience.

It doesnt make sence that wesmans friend is a die hard subaru fan yet he says there best engine is junk. Why would you be a die hard fan of something if you thought it was junk? He must be making up friends again so he doesnt feel so alone in his battle for hatred with anything that isn't a f-body.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-04-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

I can feel the love.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck View Post
    I can feel the love.
    Good, i have been meaning to tell you I love you. Now let me drive one of those Mercedes for the weekend.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Come on down. That would be a great race! My black one vs my silver one.

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

I also find it odd that a wrx was gutted all the way down to 2800 lbs. Full track wrx/STis barely get down to 2800 lbs. It's not a car that you gut really, its newer and still kind of an expensive car to buy then gut. I know you say you know this guy but in years of being in the subaru community for 4 years I have only heard of say 3 privately owned gutted cars. Just saying haha

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 2005sti View Post
    I also find it odd that a wrx was gutted all the way down to 2800 lbs. Full track wrx/STis barely get down to 2800 lbs. It's not a car that you gut really, its newer and still kind of an expensive car to buy then gut. I know you say you know this guy but in years of being in the subaru community for 4 years I have only heard of say 3 privately owned gutted cars. Just saying haha
    People gut everything, you can buy a porsche gt3-rs or gt3-rsr for 140k-250k and they are gutted. I know of 2 gutted WRXs in my area alone.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Dude had tape keepin the outside out in the floor bolt holes. Told u he even took out stereo. No ac no heat. No struts for hood. Anything u could take off he did. U hear the racing trans.

Arctic White, red/gray

Come on down. That would be a great race! My black one vs my silver one.
    Dont say things like that, one weekend you may just find a midwesterner at your door step asking for the keys to your sl600.

Black & Brilliant Silver

When your doors dont have handles and your seats arent there. That is weight reduction!!!!! Tape to keep out side out! lol

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Dont say things like that, one weekend you may just find a midwesterner at your door step asking for the keys to your sl600.
    That is a race I have wanted to record for a minute!!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The 2.5 turbo long block is the same for the STI/WRX(now it has the 2.5)/LGT/forester/baja. Only the intake manifold/turbo/intercooler/tuning is different between the models. The 03+ 2.5 does not have the head gasket problems that the earlier 2.0/2.2/2.5 had. It is a know fact that the early 2.5/2.0/2.2 had major head gaskets problems that would leak usually around 80-110kmiles. Its also a know fact that subaru addressed the head gasket problems with the new 03+ 2.5 long block. I know hundreds upon hundreds of 2.5 turbo subarus that have 70K+miles on them and no head gasket problems. I just hit 70k in mine and have been pushing 17psi for the last 40kmiles with not one problem. I burn no oil. The car has been amazingly reliable and I know tons of people who have had the same experience.
    Of course. If your car hasn't broken, and the 3 other people that you know who have the same car haven't had problems, then you can conclude that it must be the most reliable car ever made and will never break. Get real, 70K miles is NOTHING. My 3800 Series II has 182,000 miles on it and it runs like new. Your boosted Subaru engine won't last close to that long, never mind being in good running condition.

It doesnt make sence that wesmans friend is a die hard subaru fan yet he says there best engine is junk. Why would you be a die hard fan of something if you thought it was junk? He must be making up friends again so he doesnt feel so alone in his battle for hatred with anything that isn't a f-body.
    Another pathetic attempt to try and call me out. When you figure out how to change your own oil, let alone do engine repair, come back and try again.

Arctic White, red/gray

Of course. If your car hasn't broken, and the 3 other people that you know who have the same car haven't had problems, then you can conclude that it must be the most reliable car ever made and will never break. Get real, 70K miles is NOTHING. My 3800 Series II has 182,000 miles on it and it runs like new. Your boosted Subaru engine won't last close to that long, never mind being in good running condition.

Another pathetic attempt to try and call me out. When you figure out how to change your own oil, let alone do engine repair, come back and try again.
    Its a know fact that the head gasket is no longer an issue, if your friend really is a die hard subie fan he would know this. And as i said go on any 05+ legacy GT or 03+ wrx or sti forums and there will be thousands of people with 70K plus miles on there turbo subie engines with no head gasket problems not 3 lol. There are tons of threads labled high mileage club or who has the most miles on there LGT or wrx or STI. And there are quite a few guys with 150-200kmiles on the original drivetrain and even a few on the orig turbo. But turbos themself by design dont last forever.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I was simply asking a question.

WHY IS YOUR FRIEND A DIE HARD SUBARU FAN YET HE SAYS THERE ENGINES SUCK? Why would someone be a die hard fan of something they think is a bad design?

I used to own a 01 GTP, the car in terms of build quality was crap. Now its true I never had engine problems. But electrical/cooling/heating system/ tranny/easily bent cheap suspension parts i did have all before 100k. The interior was so cheap and looks like its from the 80s. My mom has a 04 monte carlo that has simular electrical problems and tranny problems and a blown sunroof motor and her car has 75k on it. My neighbor has a 07 malibu and she tells me every other day thank god it still under warrenty, she is working hard to sell it before that warrenty is up.

By the comments you make it is clear that you know little about subarus and anyone who does can see through your BS easily.

As for the oil change shall I take pictures for you since im doing one this weekend? LOL, say what you want about my mechanic skills, but I have had far faster cars than you and have helped friends build faster cars than you will ever own. I just think its funny you put everyone down even when they have a fast ass car when the fastest car you have owned is a bolt on f-body.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Its a know fact that the head gasket is no longer an issue, if your friend really is a die hard subie fan he would know this. And as i said go on any 05+ legacy GT or 03+ wrx or sti forums and there will be thousands of people with 70K plus miles on there turbo subie engines with no head gasket problems not 3 lol. There are tons of threads labled high mileage club or who has the most miles on there LGT or wrx or STI. And there are quite a few guys with 150-200kmiles on the original drivetrain and even a few on the orig turbo. But turbos themself by design dont last forever.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I was simply asking a question.
    Wow, 150-200K miles. What a track record!! Amazing!! Far from ordinary!!

WHY IS YOUR FRIEND A DIE HARD SUBARU FAN YET HE SAYS THERE ENGINES SUCK? Why would someone be a die hard fan of something they think is a bad design?
    Because he has an STi, which seems to be the only Subaru thats not a steaming pile of shit. He also has a 98 Impreza 2.2 with only 130K miles on it as a beater, and it has such bad piston slap on startup you'd think it was about to blow up. When I first heard it I thought it was rod knock because it was so loud. Burns oil like crazy too, and its been taken care of its entire life.

I used to own a 01 GTP, the car in terms of build quality was crap. Now its true I never had engine problems. But electrical/cooling/heating system/ tranny/easily bent cheap suspension parts i did have all before 100k. The interior was so cheap and looks like its from the 80s. My mom has a 04 monte carlo that has simular electrical problems and tranny problems and a blown sunroof motor and her car has 75k on it. My neighbor has a 07 malibu and she tells me every other day thank god it still under warrenty, she is working hard to sell it before that warrenty is up.
    You wouldn't know build quality if it hit you in the face. Build quality isn't just about how nice an interior looks or feels. Build quality is more than just what you see, but you wouldn't know that seeing as you've never opened your hood. Start working on your Subaru and you'll quickly see where they save money. Pressed in wheel bearings, external reluctor rings, manual belt tensioners, short harnesses, poorly routed lines, all garbage that Subaru uses to save money.

The W-body chassis is plenty sturdy. I've worked on my own as well as plenty of others, I would know, you wouldn't have a clue seeing as you can't change a tire. They've been used in Police service and other government agencies. If you broke any chassis parts it was due to you hitting something, not a defect in the car's design.

You've just a typical import fanboy spewing your garbage about build quality and how "every American car you had everything broke". Save it for someone who will actually believe your bullshit, because its obvious you are just ranting and raving like always, promoting your precious Subaru crap that nobody cares about.

By the comments you make it is clear that you know little about subarus and anyone who does can see through your BS easily.
    That person obviously wouldn't be you then. I've done plenty of work on Subarus to know enough about them, all you see is how nice you think your interior is.

As for the oil change shall I take pictures for you since im doing one this weekend? LOL, say what you want about my mechanic skills, but I have had far faster cars than you and have helped friends build faster cars than you will ever own. I just think its funny you put everyone down even when they have a fast ass car when the fastest car you have owned is a bolt on f-body.
    You know nothing about what cars I'd had. Nobody cares "what you've had", or "what your friends had", or what you claimed to have worked on. You have no idea what you are talking about, and you're just clowning yourself by pretending that you do.

Arctic White, red/gray

Wow, 150-200K miles. What a track record!! Amazing!! Far from ordinary!!

Because he has an STi, which seems to be the only Subaru thats not a steaming pile of shit. He also has a 98 Impreza 2.2 with only 130K miles on it as a beater, and it has such bad piston slap on startup you'd think it was about to blow up. When I first heard it I thought it was rod knock because it was so loud. Burns oil like crazy too, and its been taken care of its entire life.

You wouldn't know build quality if it hit you in the face. Build quality isn't just about how nice an interior looks or feels. Build quality is more than just what you see, but you wouldn't know that seeing as you've never opened your hood. Start working on your Subaru and you'll quickly see where they save money. Pressed in wheel bearings, external reluctor rings, manual belt tensioners, short harnesses, poorly routed lines, all garbage that Subaru uses to save money.

The W-body chassis is plenty sturdy. I've worked on my own as well as plenty of others, I would know, you wouldn't have a clue seeing as you can't change a tire. They've been used in Police service and other government agencies. If you broke any chassis parts it was due to you hitting something, not a defect in the car's design.

You've just a typical import fanboy spewing your garbage about build quality and how "every American car you had everything broke". Save it for someone who will actually believe your bullshit, because its obvious you are just ranting and raving like always, promoting your precious Subaru crap that nobody cares about.

That person obviously wouldn't be you then. I've done plenty of work on Subarus to know enough about them, all you see is how nice you think your interior is.

You know nothing about what cars I'd had. Nobody cares "what you've had", or "what your friends had", or what you claimed to have worked on. You have no idea what you are talking about, and you're just clowning yourself by pretending that you do.
    Lol the only thing better about the STI is the tranny. Yes it comes nicely setup from factory but the legacy/wrx/forester and STI chassis is the same. The long block is the same, the legacy speb has the same drivetrain. Your friend said the subaru engines were crap i thought? Yet any 2.5 turbo subaru has the same long block as the STI which he likes. Your friend seems more and mroe like a made up character to have 1 more person on your side who is a fan of subaru. Besides we all know that noone would wanna be friends with you.

So you saying GM never cut costs and only used the best materials in all there parts? You have got to be joking.

Im not an import fan boi, I would never build a subaru because i dont like them as a race car, just as a DD. Its a better DD than any American sedan I can think of, or sedan from anywhere really. Not every american car i had broke, the 79 malibu, 96 formula and 2000 T/A were all really reliable, but most of what they put out from 83-03 was crap.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-05-2009 at 11:14 AM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Lol the only thing better about the STI is the tranny. Yes it comes nicely setup from factory but the legacy/wrx/forester and STI chassis is the same. The long block is the same, the legacy speb has the same drivetrain. Your friend said the subaru engines were crap i thought? Yet any 2.5 turbo subaru has the same long block as the STI which he likes. Your friend seems more and mroe like a made up character to have 1 more person on your side who is a fan of subaru. Besides we all know that noone would wanna be friends with you.
    You have no point as usual. My friend said that the regular 2.5's and 2.2's are junk. The STi obviously doesn't have the head gasket issue. Seeing as he regularly services Subarus with 2.5 and 2.2 engines that have blown head gasket and other problems, and its not a common issue on the STI models, then I think it would be safe to conclude that non-turbo engines are still junk. I know that takes reasoning though, so you probably can't grasp that concept.

Made up character?? Unlike you, I don't need to pull things out of my ass to make my point.

So you saying GM never cut costs and only used the best materials in all there parts? You have got to be joking.
    Show me where I said that. I didn't. I merely said Subaru cuts costs in the mechanical aspects where it counts, but where your average consumer (you) won't notice because they have no clue. GM may not give you soft touch plastics inside your glove box, but at least they have the decency to use hub assemblies and automatic belt tensioners in the year 2010.

Im not an import fan boi
    You've proven otherwise in every thread you've posted in. Subaru this and subaru that, for the last time NOBODY CARES.

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

Click for full size

Click for full size

When your doors dont have handles and your seats arent there. That is weight reduction!!!!! Tape to keep out side out! lol
    Well that'd be stripped down wow hahaha I haven't seen that too many times

Black
    2005 STi 320whp/352wtq

Its ok Zinergy, he's from Jersey, he skis in his jeans

Arctic White, red/gray

You have no point as usual. My friend said that the regular 2.5's and 2.2's are junk. The STi obviously doesn't have the head gasket issue. Seeing as he regularly services Subarus with 2.5 and 2.2 engines that have blown head gasket and other problems, and its not a common issue on the STI models, then I think it would be safe to conclude that non-turbo engines are still junk. I know that takes reasoning though, so you probably can't grasp that concept.

Made up character?? Unlike you, I don't need to pull things out of my ass to make my point.

Show me where I said that. I didn't. I merely said Subaru cuts costs in the mechanical aspects where it counts, but where your average consumer (you) won't notice because they have no clue. GM may not give you soft touch plastics inside your glove box, but at least they have the decency to use hub assemblies and automatic belt tensioners in the year 2010.

You've proven otherwise in every thread you've posted in. Subaru this and subaru that, for the last time NOBODY CARES.
    I only say it where it counts. I have never once said my subaru would smoke ls1 cars, never said that i would rather build a boxer instead of a ls1. I will be getting another ls1 car soon and for a reason, I love lsx engines. In my eyes its the best street engine one could have as a platform to start with. I miss my 2000 T/A greatly and wish i had just bought the legacy and not traded the T/A in on it. But i do say my subaru is better in areas I know it is. And its engine is a pretty damn reliable one. I just see flaws in both cars. You just seem like you can't admit that the f-body isnt good at something. Therefore you put down every car that comes into this website that isn't american or more specifically a f-body. Its really just sad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information