Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ran a Mach 1 last night

This is a discussion on Ran a Mach 1 last night within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by hutch1999 the mach 1 is my second fav. mustang behind the 03 cobra Same here, love the ...

White
    1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999
    the mach 1 is my second fav. mustang behind the 03 cobra
    Same here, love the cobras.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, i also like the Mach 1s and Cobras. but I like my Camaro more. there are so many damn mustangs, no one really notices the Cobras or Mach 1s in the sea of all the 97-04 Mustangs out there. SS Camaros do get noticed since there are so few. (just wanted to use the spam)

I notice the cobras out of a crowd of mustang and I especially notice the Mach 1's,,,,the shaker is a dead giveaway.

The cobra's have a distinct front end different from the other Mustangs, pretty easy to tell when you see them coming.

The Mach 1 is among one of the easiest to spot,,,there are very few running around,,,and I live in a town flooded with mustangs,,,,the mach 1's are seldom seen around here, I see more 4th gen Fbodies running around here than I see Mach 1's.
    I can only recall 2 Mach 1's running around,,,friend of mine just bought one after having a 98 Z-28,,,but he dabbles in everything.
    There are more old 69-70 mach 1's running around here than there are the newer Mach 1's. Larry.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

An 03/04 Mach 1 has exactly the same cams as an 03/04 Cobra.

Mach 1's make slightly more power than a 99/01 Cobra. However, the powerband is wider, they are a bit lighter, have 3.55 vs 3.27 gears, and are not hindered by the IRS (I use the word "hinder" in the drag racing sense).

Racing in traffic is extraordinarily stupid.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Good kill.

Mach1's run hard. Run one with gears and full exhaust for a better challenge.

Blue
    04 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    Good kill.

Mach1's run hard. Run one with gears and full exhaust for a better challenge.
    like me?
    got my prochager in the mail yesterday, install starting tomorrow!!

Dark Gray 02 Tahoe
    A few too many Lsx's!

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    the mach 1 is my second fav. mustang behind the 03 cobra

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    you asshole!

This belongs in the Kill Stories section, but can someone say why Mach 1s are better than GTs? I know they make more power, but anyone got 2 pics of their engines to compare? And how about some stats?
    The Mach 1 engine has a totally different top end. Its got the DOHC Aluminum 4V heads off of the Cobra, instead of the SOHC 2V heads like the GT has. The SOHC GT's put down ~230WHP stock, while the Mach 1's put down ~275-285WHP stock. Its a much more powerful motor, and the top end power is much stronger than the GTs due to the better breathing heads. MAch 1's also have the "Shaker" hood scoop, which is akin to the Ram Air hoos scoop on an SS Camaro.

Mach 1 engine:

GT engine:

I drove an '04 Mach 1 5 speed, and I must say I was impressed. Low end power isn't anything compared to an LS1, but they pull strong up top. The motor is also smooth as hell, you can't even feel it idle, its like driving a Lexus. The thing that impressed me most though was the clutch, those cable clutches have great feel to them, much more direct than our hydraulic setups. I must say, it was definitely a nice car.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

That second engine looks like pure ASS!

4.6 2V suck for performance, looks, reliability, just EVERYTHING. I'd rather have an old school 5.0.

I agree with that. Can't even tell if there is a V8 under all that crap. I am more of a fan of the older 5.0's from the 80's. They were so much simpler and much cheaper to mod. I remember racing tons of those back then when they were new,,great fun.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Check this link out of a Mach up against a GTO.
    http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...gto/index.html

Know your enemy.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    03/04 Mach 1 was an aluminum block.
    They were not made in 2002
    They weigh about the same as the 01 Cobra (3455 pounds). 200 pounds lighter than the 03 cobra. They are 5 speed as the 03 cobra is a 6 speed car. And they do not have IRS like the 99-04 Cobras. They were available in an auto.
    They are a DOHC 32 valve engine, so they have 4 cams.

They run times close the 01 cobra, but are actually a little faster in the quarter. They have 3.55 gears instead of the 01 cobras 3.27's. A stock 5 speed 03 mach will run a low to mid 13 sec quarter mile.

They have the same heads (differant cams) as the 03 cobra, but have a higher 10.1:1 compression. They are advertised at 305 hp, but really made around 320 hp. They will beat the hell out of a 99-04 GT. And run really close (if not identical) quarter mile times to a stock LS1 F body.

4 cams? I thought DOHC meant one cam over each head. Also, I thought Mach 1 had 32 valves while the GT had 16 and that was the only diff between them engine wise. I guess maybe I thought wrong.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by F&Ybodlover View Post
    Check this link out of a Mach up against a GTO.
    http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...gto/index.html

Know your enemy.
    Yes, I agree. However, I'd like to point out that the GTO weighed in 300lbs heavier with an ls6 engine and not the ls2.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    4 cams? I thought DOHC meant one cam over each head. Also, I thought Mach 1 had 32 valves while the GT had 16 and that was the only diff between them engine wise. I guess maybe I thought wrong.
    SOHC = 1 cam for each head. DOHC = 2 cams for each head. The 4V motor shares very little in common with the 2V motor.

Yes, I agree. However, I'd like to point out that the GTO weighed in 300lbs heavier with an ls6 engine and not the ls2.
    The LS6 never came in the GTO. However, if it did, it would weigh virtually the same as the LS2 or LS1, as they are all based off the same architecture. Also, the GTO in that article was an 04, so it had the LS1 (05 & 06 had the LS2).

No doubt the GTO was ~300 lbs heavier. It also had ~40 more HP, so in the end, its pretty much a wash.

Black
    98 Trans Am

I think you've confused the GTO with the Caddy CTS-V which had the LS6 then the LS2...but yes LS1 GTO's are heavier than an F-bod and a hair slower...but Quote "Astute readers of MM&FF will note that we've tested both the '03 and the '04 Mach 1 in past issues where we recorded quarter-mile elapsed times of 13.13 and 13.15, respectively, both at 105 mph."

Machs can get into the low 13's...a hair quicker than automatic F-bods and it's a drivers race with the 6spds...so you better be a good driver.
    Last edited by F&Ybodlover; 02-26-2007 at 07:32 AM.

The low 13's at 105 they claimed they ran with another Mach,,,may have been at another track with better conditions, better DA etc..
    Since in this test, they ran both cars the same day at the same track, and with the same driver, I feel this is more of a fair and even comparison, as both cars dealt with same track and weather conditions.

With that said,,,if you read the article,,,they ran them 3 seperate times,,both 2-3 times each...and the first 2 sets of runs the GTO was edging out the Mach,,,only on the 3rd set of runs did the driver finally get the hang of launching the mustang, improving his ET,,,but the MPH was still a little soft compared to the GTO.
    Overall a great comparison that seemed very even and fair. Both cars are nearly identical. A great article. Larry.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

A Mach 1 is an excellent race for an LS1 F-body. However, all things being equal, I'd give the edge to the F-body - as small as that edge may be.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    A Mach 1 is an excellent race for an LS1 F-body. However, all things being equal, I'd give the edge to the F-body - as small as that edge may be.
    Both cars stock, I agree. But like you said, a small edge only.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The Mach 1 engine has a totally different top end. Its got the DOHC Aluminum 4V heads off of the Cobra, instead of the SOHC 2V heads like the GT has. The SOHC GT's put down ~230WHP stock, while the Mach 1's put down ~275-285WHP stock. Its a much more powerful motor, and the top end power is much stronger than the GTs due to the better breathing heads. MAch 1's also have the "Shaker" hood scoop, which is akin to the Ram Air hoos scoop on an SS Camaro.

Mach 1 engine:

Click for full size

GT engine:

Click for full size

I drove an '04 Mach 1 5 speed, and I must say I was impressed. Low end power isn't anything compared to an LS1, but they pull strong up top. The motor is also smooth as hell, you can't even feel it idle, its like driving a Lexus. The thing that impressed me most though was the clutch, those cable clutches have great feel to them, much more direct than our hydraulic setups. I must say, it was definitely a nice car.
    Awww, thanks Wesman! I knew you werent the asshole our import members make you out to be!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Awww, thanks Wesman! I knew you werent the asshole our import members make you out to be!
    Which import members may have said that...

Just because I don't like Jap crap doesn't make me an asshole. Hence the reason I'm on LS1.com instead of some Mitsu-toyo-honda riceboy site. I don't care to hear about how great someone thinks their riceburner is, they can take it somewhere else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information