Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran a C5 Z06

silver w/flames
    99 mustang

Ran a C5 Z06

Yesterday while driving around trying to put some miles on the new motor, I see a yellow z06 entering the highway. It had a set of custom chrome rims and a couple other cosmetic goodies. Very clean looking. I knew I shouldn't be abusing my car but couldn't resist.

It crept up beside me inviting a run. As I looked over I was surprised to see two older women giggling, about to pick on another punk in a mustang. I downshifted and jumped a time or two letting them know I was interested. She suddenly took off but I quickly made up ground and let out after a couple of cars. We played for a few miles until they exited, smiling and waving. My kind of women, minus the older part.

On my first pull on the dyno today it made 466/483 at 7lbs.
    99 35th GT: 5.0 stroker, twin 60 turbos, aeromotive return style fuel system, full suspension.
    575/563 @ 12lbs-adding more soon...

07 Trailblazer SS(wife's): 22s, 3200 stall, cammed and bolt ons, lowered. 405/405

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Congrats! Well, if that's 7 psi, that is a stout 5.0L engine. You're looking at well over 600 rwhp at 15 psi, which if the compression isn't too high, should be acheivable on pump gas. I'll bet it's a blast to drive.

I've been waiting on my turbo 331 far too long... I can't wait to get home to try it out.

Let's see, 466 rwhp should be a good race for a C6 Z06 or a Pully, chip, exhuast terminator. So, I'd like to see you race one of those next.

Chris

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by LS2 KLR View Post
    Yesterday while driving around trying to put some miles on the new motor, I see a yellow z06 entering the highway. It had a set of custom chrome rims and a couple other cosmetic goodies. Very clean looking. I knew I shouldn't be abusing my car but couldn't resist.

It crept up beside me inviting a run. As I looked over I was surprised to see two older women giggling, about to pick on another punk in a mustang. I downshifted and jumped a time or two letting them know I was interested. She suddenly took off but I quickly made up ground and let out after a couple of cars. We played for a few miles until they exited, smiling and waving. My kind of women, minus the older part.

On my first pull on the dyno today it made 466/483 at 7lbs.
    turbos? you cheater!!!

12.718 @ 117.47

silver w/flames
    99 mustang

Well that sux. I thought if I replaced my nitrous setup with turbos I would no longer be a cheater

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Well, if they're gonna call you a cheater anyway, then how bout putting the nitrous back on?

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

N20 is an insurance policy and there is nothing better than full time power under the pedal. Excellent numbers, KLR! Surely that motor can take more than 7lbs. but I'm sure it's a handfull as it is.

Run whatcha brung!

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Good kill, this thread is packed with some hardcore stang guys lol

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

i think it is funny that you think a termy with a pully can run with a c6 zo6

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by red99ws6 View Post
    i think it is funny that you think a termy with a pully can run with a c6 zo6
    it can.... with a kb.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

that was a joke btw, hopefully nobody really thinks a pullied eaton cobra can pull a c6 z06.

silver w/flames
    99 mustang

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    N20 is an insurance policy and there is nothing better than full time power under the pedal. Excellent numbers, KLR! Surely that motor can take more than 7lbs. but I'm sure it's a handfull as it is.

Run whatcha brung!

I was only able to run 7lbs because the boost controller wasn't working. After minor tuning it ended up making 477/495. My low boost will be at 10lbs and high set at 16-18. As long as it makes 650rwhp I'll be happy.

And how did cobras enter the conversation?

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

hey ls2 klr there is a guy who has a 89 fox body with a turbo set up and runs 7.2 on street tires in the 1/8 and he drives it to work every day. Oh and 6.9 on drag radials. i like the flames on your car lookks tough!

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

chris arnold was comparing the c6 to the termi like they are in the same league

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

He MUST have mistyped. 466 HP and the C6 is muuuuch lighter than the mustang about the same H to the wheels though...

Back to point.. Nice Kill even if you are in a mustang J/K

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Well, shit my bad. I was just kinda guessing that a 500 rwhp termi (I was thinking ported blower too) would run with a 500 crank hp Corvette even though the termi is significantly heavier the rwhp of the Z06 is what like 430 rwhp? Am I really that far off?

Chris

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Well, shit my bad. I was just kinda guessing that a 500 rwhp termi (I was thinking ported blower too) would run with a 500 crank hp Corvette even though the termi is significantly heavier the rwhp of the Z06 is what like 430 rwhp? Am I really that far off?

Chris
    I DONT THINK SO IVE RAN A PULLEYED,CHIPPED,EXHAUST,CAI COBRA AND A C6ZO6 AND I THINK IT WOULD BE CLOSE

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post

Chris
    well, ported (500 rwhp) it will be close. But that Z06 better be bone stock. Stock z06 is about 445 rwhp. The HP difference is BARELY enough to make up for the weight difference. But then aerodynamics will play a big role. With the fbody, at 120 mph the Cobra needs about 15rwhp more to run the same. against a vette, its probably 20rwhp+ and the gap keeps getting bigger.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

If mods keep being added you will get there. I love both cars. but it's comparing apples to oranges. If they Z06 is bone stock, it would be real close. Not to mention both are a manual trans so it will be a drivers race too. I also know that the LS7 is pretty easy to get to the 600 HP mark. Ported blower will make a difference, 50 WHP vs what 120-200 pound weight difference?

ALL CAPS SIGNIFIES YELLING and is harder to get your point across because all of the text runs together.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    If mods keep being added you will get there. I love both cars. but it's comparing apples to oranges.
    Well, my mistake. I was thinking a 500 rwhp Cobra and I know a thing or two about mustangs. However, let's not put words into my mouth. Although I would, I actually never directly compared the Z06 with the termi. So, who compared apples too oranges?

Chris

Ps. I'm pretty sure LS2KLR isn't going to have a problem with either one when he turns up the wick.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    If mods keep being added you will get there. I love both cars. but it's comparing apples to oranges. If they Z06 is bone stock, it would be real close. Not to mention both are a manual trans so it will be a drivers race too. I also know that the LS7 is pretty easy to get to the 600 HP mark. Ported blower will make a difference, 50 WHP vs what 120-200 pound weight difference?

ALL CAPS SIGNIFIES YELLING and is harder to get your point across because all of the text runs together.
    The weight difference is about 500 lbs.

Thread Information