Silver
    1998 Trans Am

raced a vette (video)

Not really a kill story but I figured what the hell. I had just finished installing my B&M shifter today and was out taking some video when I saw this kid in a vette. At first he just drove past and beeped his horn so I gave him the wave but about 10 mins later he met up with me again and so we went through a couple quick runs. I figured I was done for but the cars seemed to be pretty evenly matched. The first run I had a little jump on him. The second he jumped on me a little. I was catching up when I missed that damn 2nd to 3rd shift. It has been a problem with the old shifter and i was hoping that the new one would solve that problem. It got a little better but the problem is still there. Ah well it was still a fun day...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...per_177043.htm
    Last edited by sirenformula350; 08-14-2008 at 02:18 AM.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

the first video won't work quite yet for some reason but the second video has the same video just a little more at the beginning.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

sweet car, and good vid. your shifts sure are faster than mine lol.

What are your mods?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Ha ha the shift are fast when I can get into gear lol.

here is my a list of all my mods with pictures :
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/720880

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I deleted the shorter video. It was receiving some negative comments and for good reason. I made a poor choice in racing the vette down a residential street. Now, with that being said, there were no pedestrians or other dangers that I saw and thats why I went through with it. Not one of my smartest decisions but whats done is done. Next time it'll at least be on an industrial road or something of the sort...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    I was catching up when I missed that damn 2nd to 3rd shift. It has been a problem with the old shifter and i was hoping that the new one would solve that problem. It got a little better but the problem is still there. Ah well it was still a fun day...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...per_177043.htm

Shoes might help lol

Nice quick shifts though. Could be synchros if its not just from mis-timing shifts...?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

ha ha yeah i had sandles on but i took them off to do all the screwing around. I'm pretty sure its not mis timing the shifts. I have been driving stick every day for about four years now and the problem has been slowly getting worse.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Shoes might help lol

Nice quick shifts though. Could be synchros if its not just from mis-timing shifts...?
    Definitely!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

ha ha yeah i had sandles on but i took them off to do all the screwing around. I'm pretty sure its not mis timing the shifts. I have been driving stick every day for about four years now and the problem has been slowly getting worse.
    didn't mean to rag on you, just mentioning it because I too have only ever owned stick vehicles, and the 2-3 shift messed me up many times when I 1st got my T/A..

Ask in the drivetrain section and see if u can't get better answers there lol

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

its cool. I saw it when I was editing the video and thought it was funny too. Yeah I figured it was probably the synchros and am planning on having a tranny rebuild in the future. Only thing is its costs money that I don't really have right now lol. I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of driving barefoot either.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I deleted the shorter video. It was receiving some negative comments and for good reason. I made a poor choice in racing the vette down a residential street. Now, with that being said, there were no pedestrians or other dangers that I saw and thats why I went through with it. Not one of my smartest decisions but whats done is done. Next time it'll at least be on an industrial road or something of the sort...
    Yep, you've no doubt heard the same thing from a lot of people already. I'm going to say it, too. I'm all for street racing, but what you did is dangerous. [iceman] You're DANGEROUS! *snaps jaw*[/iceman]

In all seriousness, you can't tell when someone who's not paying attention will pull out from the parallel parked cars, or when some dumb little kid is playing tag with his buddy runs out from between two of those cars. How do you think you would feel after a couple of thumps of a kid's body making its way underneath your car.

I'm all for street racing, but please pick a better spot. Open highways (no traffic), back roads with no cross traffic and no pedestrians, etc...

About your tranny, it's almost definitely the synchros. I highly recommend getting them replaced before you start to damage teeth on the gears with poor synchros. Save yourself some money and do it sooner rather than later,

Chris

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

yeah I really only did it because I let excitement get the best of me. I was sitting there thinking how many times will I get the opportunity to race this vette and get it on video. i should have talked to the kid and arranged a better place but once again I wasn't thinking too clearly.

Honestly there is probably gear damage already. So at this point I figure I'm going to be saving money to do a complete rebuild this way I only have to do it once.

Red
    2001 ws6

IMO ur a moron for where you raced

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

wow thats cute thanks for the comment but if you would have read the earlier comments I have already admitted that what I had done wasn't smart. So I'm going to leave it at that.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

wow thats cute thanks for the comment but if you would have read the earlier comments I have already admitted that what I had done wasn't smart. So I'm going to leave it at that.
    He's from Brookyln, what'd you expect

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    He's from Brookyln, what'd you expect
    I know you admitted it was wrong, just had to make you feel a little worse about it haha. As long as you learned and dont do it again, eveeryone fucks up once or twice.

And no im not from brooklyn, im from Long Island.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    I know you admitted it was wrong, just had to make you feel a little worse about it haha. As long as you learned and dont do it again, eveeryone fucks up once or twice.

I kind of figured I would be getting my balls busted for that and yeah you succeeded in making me feel a little worse about it. Whats done is done and yeah I think I'll be sticking to the industrial roads for that kind of stuff. At the beginning of the video you could see thats what I was doing but that damn vette sucked me in

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post

Haha..I thought I had read somewhere that you were from Brooklyn so I didn't wanna "offend" you and say you were from Long Island lol...

What part of Long Island are you from? I was born in Merrick and I have family in Merrick, Bellmoore, and Farmingdale...

Red
    2001 ws6

Mineola

Thread Information