Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

raced a cammed fox body

So I was on my way home from school today and I saw a fox body showing off so I thought "hey I haven't raced in a long ass time so what the hell". anyway we pulled off and talked for a minute then decided to run them just for the hell of it. When he pulled up next to me I realized his car was cammed and I was like, oh shit, I'm done for. All I have is bolt ons BTW. So when we finally took off he spun the shit out of his tires and I hooked pretty quick. I don't know if I won because he spun so bad or if my car was legitimately faster. Either way it was fun. Damn, I haven't had that much fun in a while so I thought I'd share.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Nice man, glad to see you having fun lol

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

yeah. thank God this summer sucked! I'm just glad its ending on a better note!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Good work! A cam doesn't help a fox like it does for an LS1. LS1s have big heads, big intakes, and small cams. Fox-bodies have small heads, small intakes, and small cams. There just isn't enough air available for a bigger cam to pull. Your car was legitimately faster, most likely.

Chris

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

A Buddy of mine has a Foxbody, 502 turbo charged putting down 596 at the wheels, he has a nitrous cam in it, It sounds pretty good, I hate fords with a passion but his is the nicest mustang I have seen and rode in, He runs 6.70's at the track granny shifting it. I have seen him take down a GSR600 and he hung with a 1000 side by side till 180.... badass car. So if it cams, might and might not be Bad!!!! Just run em and see :}

10's N/A

Cammed-only 5-0's are nothing for a stock or near stock LS1 to worry about. Even full bolt-on cam cars. LS1's are way to far ahead even in stock form. Take it from experience bud, if a cam is all he's got, you'll blow 'em!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I agreeto an extent, it also depends on ability to hook, i have had friends with cammed 5.0s running mid to high 12s, they did also have supporting mods. There cammed 5.0s were good races for my ls1 with some bolt ons.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I'm not really sure what other mods he had. i didn't bother to ask. but yeah he definitely didn't hook till I was a good car length ahead of him.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I have raced cammed 5.0s that i have blown away as well but if its a cammed 5.0 with bolt ons and some supporting mods like 3.73s or nittos which 1 friend made 340rwhp, with 3.73s and nittos ran a 12.6, he was the only one who coudl beat me every time, the other took me once or twice but i usually pulled them by half a car to a car.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I thought for sure I was going to have my ass handed to me when I heard it camming. It was a pleasant suprise even if it was only because he couldn't hook

Black
    99 SS

his cams were not caming right and his heads were not headin right i think. lol

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I have raced cammed 5.0s that i have blown away as well but if its a cammed 5.0 with bolt ons and some supporting mods like 3.73s or nittos which 1 friend made 340rwhp, with 3.73s and nittos ran a 12.6, he was the only one who coudl beat me every time, the other took me once or twice but i usually pulled them by half a car to a car.
    It's me the 5.0 guy... Please just take my word for it: no cam and bolt-ons windsor 5.0 ever made 340 rwhp, unless by bolt-ons you're including heads, or some type of forced induction.

That said, in 1/4 mile drag racing, traction is where it's all at. A bolt-on only 5.0 with gears, tires and otherwise stock h/c/i will go 12s. Enough to beat bone-stock LS1s. However, that same 5.0 will lose from a roll because it doesn't have the LS1 beat on power/weight.

If you want to make a 302 windsor in a fox-body mustang outrun an LS1 from a roll, you pretty much have to replace the heads at a minimum.

Chris

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

With his heads he made almost 360rwhp. Now its had all that plus forged internals and a turbo setup. I have told you about his car before it made 622rwhp. He is selling that setup soon im gonna put it up for sale on this site to help him, i think he wants 7k for the stand alone fuel managment system, engine, turbo setup and his 5 speed shich is soemwhat built.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

That on the stock block? I've seen it done, but that's dangerous. I'm in the market for a stand-alone. It's not a BS3, is it?

360 rwhp is pretty strong for a street 302. 340 rwhp on E7TE Ford stock castings isn't possible. They're too anemic.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Im not sure what block he has, we lost track for about 6 months cause hes my girlfriends cousin and she was drunk and told him he was a pussy and all his girls friends say he has a small dick so he refused to talk to my girlfriend which meant he wouldnt tal kto me, but now they are cool he was showing me what he had done to it since i last saw it, he didnt mention anyhting about the block, i only asked what size was it he said still a 302 with forged internals. The car ran a 13.3 last time at the track, he tried to run it before he had a chance to buy new tires, his nittos were worn down to shit. a 13.3 at like 120something lol

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    his cams were not caming right and his heads were not headin right i think. lol
    I think his computer had a virus or something, i guess he needs to buy norton antivirus

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    I agreeto an extent, it also depends on ability to hook, i have had friends with cammed 5.0s running mid to high 12s, they did also have supporting mods. There cammed 5.0s were good races for my ls1 with some bolt ons.
    I beg to differ. A cammed 5.0 with stock heads and intake will not go mid 12's. No way. Not without heads of some kind. I've seen Foxbody cars with 306 shortblocks, E303 cams, and a few bolt-ons here and there go low 14's. Most average in the 13's. A cam upgrade does give a 5-0 a solid performance increase, though most believe otherwise, it's still doesn't put that motor anywhere near an LS1, or even a bolt-on LT1 for that matter. When you've got a motor that puts down around 180-190 to wheels in stock trim, it takes a lot more than a cam to get you up there with the big dogs.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

here in florida, i've seen plenty of stock 5.0s go mid 14s. you're in california. altitude makes a difference.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Here we go again.... round and round she goes. You claim to know your 5.0s, but then you go and say something else like "A cammed 5.0 with stock heads and intake will not go mid 12's. No way. Not without heads of some kind." That's an incorrect and really ignorant statement. Many have done it.

You around Bob? I think you should handle this one...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Wow... Ok now I see that Bob already set you straight a couple of times, but you were too ignorant to listen to someone who's been there and done that. He went 12.52 without lifting a valve cover.... That's mid-12s with a bolt-on only 5.0.....no cam, no heads.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...804#post927804

Thread Information