Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 257

Raced a 370Z yesterday

This is a discussion on Raced a 370Z yesterday within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by karpetcm As much credit that anyone can give to the new 370Z which it deserves in some ...

  1. #61
    Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,449

    Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    As much credit that anyone can give to the new 370Z which it deserves in some ways there is alot that holds me back from giving it the respect that some think it deserves. I still say it cannot and will not beat a stock LS1 and a car that has been out of production since 02 is amazing. With all the technology they put in these newer cars and bashing how american cars or so old tech and not worth waisting your time on, a brand spanking new 370Z with even more power with even less weight still is not enough to pull on a stock LS1.

    Granted they are fast cars and for 330+hp and light weight it should be but i love my Z28 and sit back watchin other car companies try and try year after year. Not saying they are competing trying to beat out an LS1 cars, lol but either way i still think a modded LS1 will easily pull on a modded 370Z as well. After all most Z28's ive seen are modded to some degree, light or extreme but will see. As many 350Z cars ive seen so far there will most likely be the same amount of 370Z's out there which will make the chance of running into one even better.


  2. #62
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    I used to cruise Memorial in Tulsa back in the 80's with a Nissan 300zx Turbo with exhaust and boost control.
    I don't think I would tell too many people about that

  3. #63
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    As much credit that anyone can give to the new 370Z which it deserves in some ways there is alot that holds me back from giving it the respect that some think it deserves. I still say it cannot and will not beat a stock LS1 and a car that has been out of production since 02 is amazing. With all the technology they put in these newer cars and bashing how american cars or so old tech and not worth waisting your time on, a brand spanking new 370Z with even more power with even less weight still is not enough to pull on a stock LS1.

    Granted they are fast cars and for 330+hp and light weight it should be but i love my Z28 and sit back watchin other car companies try and try year after year. Not saying they are competing trying to beat out an LS1 cars, lol but either way i still think a modded LS1 will easily pull on a modded 370Z as well. After all most Z28's ive seen are modded to some degree, light or extreme but will see. As many 350Z cars ive seen so far there will most likely be the same amount of 370Z's out there which will make the chance of running into one even better.
    hate to burst your bubble..but ever car that has been in production since 03+ has beat our cars. When was the last time we have got car of the year..etc etc...
    Displacement (liters) 3.7
    Horsepower 332 @ 7,000 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft) 270 @ 5,200 RPM

    it doesnt beat a ls1 in anyone of those benchmarks ..but once again..for a 3.7 liter V-6 to even be this close to a 5.7 liter V-8..speaks tons on the advances of technology. ..and also..i dont believe nissan has ever marketed their cars as 1/4 strip cars...the 370z will out handle our 6-10 year old cars with less power ..and do it while still being very comfortable....so i think it does deserve respect for the segment its in..and since it does what it was created to do very well

  4. #64
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I seriously dont think anyone on here who has an LS1 or LT1 cares if our car has gotten a Car of the Year. I dont know what cars your refering to beating out our cars since 03 when you say EVERY, but there are a couple that come to mind that ive passed up myself in my buying decision through many reasons and bought a Z28 anyway. The displacement of 3.7 liters and 332Hp you say, have you driven a 350Z i havent had a chance to drive a 370 but the car is extremely peaky and has hardly the torque to make it fun to drive. Sure it should handle much better then our cars stock for stock since its much lighter and has many years of tech. under its belt. Again i dont know how comfortable the 370Z is but there is no way a 350Z is more comfortable in ride if thats what you mean then a Z28 atleast to me, guess that would be preference. Not putting down the 370Z it does deserve some credit from me but i think me not giving it respect is my own opinion and if you really consider the car as a great driving machine and deserves your respect then i have no issues with that.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 04-03-2009 at 11:09 AM.

  5. #65
    Senior Member SS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    2,819

    None
    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Do they even make such a thing??? A 370Z???

    Shucks the last ones I remember are the old 240 or 280Z's back in the day when we were sticking small block chevys in them.

    What happened to all the numbers in between???
    there was/is a 350Z in the middle!

  6. #66
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    You know I get this shit all the time, if I had an S/C or a turbo nobody would ever ask me not to boost or pull the S/C-T/C out, but since I have spray everyone wants me to pull the bottle or run N/A. Well that's the reason I put N2O on, So I could spray while racing a vehicle that I thought would be damn close without it. It's truly not my fault that everyone does not have a power adder, you guys with full bolt-ons never hear this shit either I'll bet. But it'd be like the competition saying they won't race you unless you swap your cam and heads back to stock, or if you race them and beat them everyone says it's unfair because a full bolt-on car smoked a stock car etc. I was always under the impression that you "run what you brung" especially on the street, so if I talk shit(which I never do) to a guy and he shows up with a C6 Z with TTs I'm not telling him to pull off his turbos before I race him or back pedal on the race, I Might(probably in this case) lose but I don't make excuses. my .02
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

  7. #67
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    Look, you dont have to explain to people who are jealous about why you have your bottle on the car and why you use it. I had the bottle on my 93Z and would demolish many cars, you will always have people saying because you had the bottle thats why you won and never say much when you have turbos or a supercharger. Regardless of what anyone thinks your car was faster then his wether you had Nitrous, H/C, Supercharger or Turbo. Either way you had a good kill, even without the bottle and with the mods you have in your sig other then the nitrous there is NO WAY a 370Z would be able to beat you. There is absolutly nothing wrong with using nitrous and is a excellent power adder that is extremely reliable and safe when you know what your doing. Keep killing them with or without your nitrous, i dont hate i give respect to any car that is as fast as yours.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 04-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.

  8. #68
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    You know I get this shit all the time, if I had an S/C or a turbo nobody would ever ask me not to boost or pull the S/C-T/C out, but since I have spray everyone wants me to pull the bottle or run N/A. Well that's the reason I put N2O on, So I could spray while racing a vehicle that I thought would be damn close without it. It's truly not my fault that everyone does not have a power adder, you guys with full bolt-ons never hear this shit either I'll bet. But it'd be like the competition saying they won't race you unless you swap your cam and heads back to stock, or if you race them and beat them everyone says it's unfair because a full bolt-on car smoked a stock car etc. I was always under the impression that you "run what you brung" especially on the street, so if I talk shit(which I never do) to a guy and he shows up with a C6 Z with TTs I'm not telling him to pull off his turbos before I race him or back pedal on the race, I Might(probably in this case) lose but I don't make excuses. my .02

    how to you un-turbo a car..or un-supercharge it ..but with that being said..i could car less what you run..but i think its important to let people know what you have if your modded

  9. #69
    Member 05gtoautoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    riverton
    Posts
    556

    Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

    I never said you could "Unturbo or Unsupercharge" anything, my point is nobody should ever ask me not to spray if I'm racing them. Yeah it's easy not to but I'm still gonna spray.
    Last edited by 05gtoautoX; 04-05-2009 at 05:55 PM.

  10. #70
    Member 2000LS1Bird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    506

    Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

    To each his own.

    Your story would have been impressive if you had used the NOS in a race where you were the underdog... something like, "Shocked a Viper Today."

    Using it on a Z car that you knew you could beat anyway is silly to me.

    But there are people in both camps, so no need to argue about it anymore.

  11. #71
    Member Eric1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    853

    Black
    1999 Z28 Convert

    Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    You know I get this shit all the time, if I had an S/C or a turbo nobody would ever ask me not to boost or pull the S/C-T/C out, but since I have spray everyone wants me to pull the bottle or run N/A. Well that's the reason I put N2O on, So I could spray while racing a vehicle that I thought would be damn close without it. It's truly not my fault that everyone does not have a power adder, you guys with full bolt-ons never hear this shit either I'll bet. But it'd be like the competition saying they won't race you unless you swap your cam and heads back to stock, or if you race them and beat them everyone says it's unfair because a full bolt-on car smoked a stock car etc. I was always under the impression that you "run what you brung" especially on the street, so if I talk shit(which I never do) to a guy and he shows up with a C6 Z with TTs I'm not telling him to pull off his turbos before I race him or back pedal on the race, I Might(probably in this case) lose but I don't make excuses. my .02
    LOL DUH BECAUSE N20 IS TEMPORARY POWER THOSE YOU LISTED ARE PERMANENT. Nozzzz is cheap.

  12. #72
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hate to burst your bubble..but ever car that has been in production since 03+ has beat our cars. When was the last time we have got car of the year..etc etc...
    Displacement (liters) 3.7
    Horsepower 332 @ 7,000 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft) 270 @ 5,200 RPM
    An LS1 F-body is faster than any Nissan 350Z/370Z. We have more power, more torque, and an infinitely better engine design.

    it doesnt beat a ls1 in anyone of those benchmarks ..but once again..for a 3.7 liter V-6 to even be this close to a 5.7 liter V-8..speaks tons on the advances of technology...
    No, it doesn't. Nissan VQ motors are gutless, what the point of having 332 peak HP when the car has no low end punch?? And apparently you've never driven a 350Z or 370Z, because the VQ is one of the roughest and most unrefined engines in production. Get near redline and the shifter vibrations will shake the fillings out of your teeth. Not to mention Nissan VQ's and QR (2.5L) engines are notorious oil burners.

    So in review, you're getting a smaller, gutless engine that sounds like a trash compactor, has less power, has higher NVH, and gets worse fuel economy. That is not an advancement, its a step backward.

    On its best day the VQ isn't worthy of being compared to any LS series engine.

    For comparisons sake:

    HP
    LS1: 350
    VQ: 332

    Torque
    LS1: 350
    VQ: 270

    MPG
    LS1: 19/28
    VQ: 18/26

    Not to mention the LS1 has an excellent powerband, sounds great, and is naturally balanced being that its a V8.

    How can you honestly sit there and say the 3.7 VQ is better?? Thats ridiciulous.
    Last edited by Wesman; 04-06-2009 at 01:10 PM.

  13. #73
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    The VQ engines have numerous awards including wards 10 best engine awards,every year of there existance.

  14. #74
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    An LS1 F-body is faster than any Nissan 350Z/370Z. We have more power, more torque, and an infinitely better engine design.



    No, it doesn't. Nissan VQ motors are gutless, what the point of having 332 peak HP when the car has no low end punch?? And apparently you've never driven a 350Z or 370Z, because the VQ is one of the roughest and most unrefined engines in production. Get near redline and the shifter vibrations will shake the fillings out of your teeth. Not to mention Nissan VQ's and QR (2.5L) engines are notorious oil burners.

    So in review, you're getting a smaller, gutless engine that sounds like a trash compactor, has less power, has higher NVH, and gets worse fuel economy. That is not an advancement, its a step backward.

    On its best day the VQ isn't worthy of being compared to any LS series engine.

    For comparisons sake:

    HP
    LS1: 350
    VQ: 332

    Torque
    LS1: 350
    VQ: 270

    MPG
    LS1: 19/28
    VQ: 18/26

    Not to mention the LS1 has an excellent powerband, sounds great, and is naturally balanced being that its a V8.

    How can you honestly sit there and say the 3.7 VQ is better?? Thats ridiciulous.
    read my post a lil more carefully...i never said the vq was better or beat those numbers..however i noted that it is respectfully close to a v8..and that those numbers dont mean shit to nissan since 1..they arent marketing the 370z against a car that hasnt been in production for 6 years....and that 3xx have always been marketed as handling/touring cars...the f-body has never claimed to be a corner carver...how do you define a engine being better ?? even better how can you compare the two engines..completely different...but if i am not mistaken..those VQ numbers look better then the 3800 series engines

  15. #75
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    read my post a lil more carefully...i never said the vq was better or beat those numbers..however i noted that it is respectfully close to a v8..and that those numbers dont mean shit to nissan since 1..they arent marketing the 370z against a car that hasnt been in production for 6 years....and that 3xx have always been marketed as handling/touring cars...the f-body has never claimed to be a corner carver...how do you define a engine being better ?? even better how can you compare the two engines..completely different...but if i am not mistaken..those VQ numbers look better then the 3800 series engines
    I read your post. However, I don't see how "being close" to a V8 is relative when it does everything worse, with absolutely zero benefits. An uneducated buyer might think that because the Nissan is only a 3.7L V6, it should get much better fuel economy than GM's 5.7L V8. They of course would be wrong, seeing as Nissan's 2 liter/2 cylinder less engine actually gets worse fuel economy in a car that weighs approximately the same as an F-body. The F-body is also a pretty good corner carver itself, Firehawks have put down some very nice numbers that would show up a 350Z on a road course.

    As for the engine design, the VQ is an open deck, non-skirted block with a prepensity to burn oil. Compare that to the GM LS design, enough said.

    How did the 3800 Series get dragged into this?? Either way, the 3800 is a much more stout engine than a Nissan VQ. Its only downfall is its intake gaskets, which can be replaced with aluminum ones to alleviate any coolant leakage issues. The 3800 has been around forever, and for good reason. The stock Series II S/C bottom end has been documented to handle 600WHP, its a very strong engine. My '97 GTP has 175,000 miles on it, and it only uses about 1/4 a quart between oil changes, which most likely gets sucked through the PCV system. I've seen low mileage Nissan engines that burn over a quart in less than 1,000 miles. The 3800 Series II SC also has more torque than a brand new $35,000 Nissan 370Z.

  16. #76
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I read your post. However, I don't see how "being close" to a V8 is relative when it does everything worse, with absolutely zero benefits. An uneducated buyer might think that because the Nissan is only a 3.7L V6, it should get much better fuel economy than GM's 5.7L V8. They of course would be wrong, seeing as Nissan's 2 liter/2 cylinder less engine actually gets worse fuel economy in a car that weighs approximately the same as an F-body. The F-body is also a pretty good corner carver itself, Firehawks have put down some very nice numbers that would show up a 350Z on a road course.

    As for the engine design, the VQ is an open deck, non-skirted block with a prepensity to burn oil. Compare that to the GM LS design, enough said.

    How did the 3800 Series get dragged into this?? Either way, the 3800 is a much more stout engine than a Nissan VQ. Its only downfall is its intake gaskets, which can be replaced with aluminum ones to alleviate any coolant leakage issues. The 3800 has been around forever, and for good reason. The stock Series II S/C bottom end has been documented to handle 600WHP, its a very strong engine. My '97 GTP has 175,000 miles on it, and it only uses about 1/4 a quart between oil changes, which most likely gets sucked through the PCV system. I've seen low mileage Nissan engines that burn over a quart in less than 1,000 miles. The 3800 Series II SC also has more torque than a brand new $35,000 Nissan 370Z.
    hmm a 09 or a 02 ..one with a navigation and alot fo creature comforts with a updated and nice interior ?...or a car thats interior is from 93 ..with a cassette player and cruise control....no matter how much better the ls1 engine is....the fact remands that the f-bod is dead...the interior is outdated and the 370z is brand new under warranty and has a lot of creature comforts..STOCK!...if someone wants a 1/4 dragster ..then the 370z is not for them....

  17. #77
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hmm a 09 or a 02 ..one with a navigation and alot fo creature comforts with a updated and nice interior ?...or a car thats interior is from 93 ..with a cassette player and cruise control....no matter how much better the ls1 engine is....the fact remands that the f-bod is dead...the interior is outdated and the 370z is brand new under warranty and has a lot of creature comforts..STOCK!...if someone wants a 1/4 dragster ..then the 370z is not for them....
    Obviously. I was only comparing powertrains and numbers, not interiors. That wasn't part of the equation until you brought it in just now.

    If you want to compare apples with apples, compare the 2010 Camaro to the new 370Z. Then you can have your modern, high quality interior with your power.

  18. #78
    hanging around... LS1Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Henderson, Tx
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,674
    '99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

    but you have been comparing LS1's to the 370Z. and regardless of what you think, the 370Z WILL outrun a STOCK LS1.

  19. #79
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    The 3800 Series II SC also has more torque than a brand new $35,000 Nissan 370Z.[/QUOTE]

    It should have more torque it's 3.8L and supercharged the Nissan is 3.7L NA and the Nissan starts at $29,000 and your gtp started at $24,000 when new.

  20. #80
    Member jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    186

    2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

    No offence but have you seen the interior in the new camaro it is absoulutely hideous,the gauges look like something from a 48 mercury.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. me vs ls2 gto, 05-07ish gt, 370z.
    By 02sunsetorangeZ in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
  2. Shell Helix oil ad-transparent 370z
    By third_shift|studios in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:15 PM
  3. Transparent Nissan 370Z
    By Tonik in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM
  4. 370Z: Failure
    By Wesman in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
  5. Raced two old women yesterday
    By 98-LS1 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •