Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Raced a 3000GT VR-4 TT

This is a discussion on Raced a 3000GT VR-4 TT within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I see way more SS camaros then I do VR-4s. I'd love to get my hands on a galant VR-4....

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

I see way more SS camaros then I do VR-4s. I'd love to get my hands on a galant VR-4.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    I see way more SS camaros then I do VR-4s. I'd love to get my hands on a galant VR-4.
    Just curious what's a stock vr4 do, how much power can they safely handle before serious mods are needed.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

on the galant or the 3000gt? I could tell you on the galant but what I know about 3000gt's you could etch on the head of a pin.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    If you build to a 383 you can still do the H/C/I
    Well what would you recommend i do, i know your working on a build yourself?

And oh yeah, 3000gts were very fast cars some of them one year running as fast as 4.9 seconds 0-60 they came in a base and VR-4. They are comparable to a Dodge stealth/RT basically the same car just a different body. What many people dont know is carol shelby designed the body on the stealth, if im not mistaken and couldnt understand why so many more of the 3000gts sold. By 1999 the cars died a very pricey and over weight death tipping the scales at close to 3900 pounds and like the other guy said before close to 40k dollars. Comparable to the TT Supra or the 300ZX TT. All ran about the same numbers including the LS1 Camaro/Trans ams as well. While all the other cars were replaced the closest thing you can get to one now a days is a evo.
    Last edited by 95camaroZNC; 09-23-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Well what would you recommend i do, i know your working on a build yourself?

Yea I am looking around for a blown LT1 motor to to build up so I can keep driving this one around and when the other one is built just do a swap.
    I would look into the LE kits. (me personally getting the LE2) it would cover the H/C/I part for a very nice price. ($1650ish range)
    Then if you want to go the extra mile bore out the block .30 over. I am not sure on the prices for that but I can get that done for free down here due to some connections. and if you do bore out the block then you need to get a bigger crank with a 3.75 bore. In the older days its for the 400 block but now companies make it specifically for the 383 stroker. and you would be all set.
    Just keep in mind the stock LT1 crank holds plenty enough as it is. But that stroker is music to your ears. And just try to stay away eagle or scat parts.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

BZZZZT Wrong captain. You are correct in thinking that 10psi vs 30psi is going to be more stressful to the motor but you're incorrect in thinking it is due to boost pressure. Do you realize how pressurized the combustion chamber is? It makes 2 atmospheres look like a walk in the park.

Thanks for playing though.
    You obviously don't understand. More boost pressure in the intake manifold means more air forced into the cylinder with each cycle, which means more air is being compressed, which means higher cylinder pressures, which means more fuel needs to be added, which means more stress on the entire rotating assembly with each combustion cycle.

Bottom line is more boost pressure creates more stress on internal components. If you argue against that you really don't have a clue.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Well whats the first thing i should do with my car as is right now, ive been kinda stuck as to what to start doing.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    You obviously don't understand. More boost pressure in the intake manifold means more air forced into the cylinder with each cycle, which means more air is being compressed, which means higher cylinder pressures, which means more fuel needs to be added, which means more stress on the entire rotating assembly with each combustion cycle.

Bottom line is more boost pressure creates more stress on internal components. If you argue against that you really don't have a clue.

Wrong. The same reason higher pressures cause catastrophic failures is the same reason nitrous does. You're correct in thinking that it's because of more "air" but it's mostly "more oxygen" that's the issue.

Black Top Red
    1997 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Just curious what's a stock vr4 do, how much power can they safely handle before serious mods are needed.
    It depends..our engines are pretty stout. I've seen healthy VR4's put down 300-315awhp, though most put down power in the 270's. They run 13's stock w/ a boost controller and a decent driver. A few folks have run high 12's bone stock w/ the boost cranked up a bit (usually 1bar).

I think 700-800 crank hp is the limit of the stock internals. The reason our cars get a bad rap is the previous lack of aftermarket support. We have a kick ass aftermarket though now, and you can build a 500hp car for peanuts now. 15gs+proper supporting mods will run you under just 3k and put down close to 500awhp.

It isn't hard to make power in these cars...they just get a bad rap because of the rocky start they had.

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    Agreed, been wanting to get my ass into one of those but they are so rare to find.
    buy mine

Quote Originally Posted by adollarwodbnice View Post
    I'd be surprised if the camaro didn't take the FWD 3/s off the line for a smidge... V8s tend to do that to mildly modified vr-4s.
    Fixed...Some of us have AWD Robb
    Last edited by AudibleSilence; 09-24-2008 at 08:44 AM.

silver
    2002 ws6

Wrong. The same reason higher pressures cause catastrophic failures is the same reason nitrous does. You're correct in thinking that it's because of more "air" but it's mostly "more oxygen" that's the issue.
    man talk about splitting hairs here. you in politics obama?

Black Top Red
    1997 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    man talk about splitting hairs here. you in politics obama?
    I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice......

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Not Canadians on LS1.com

Hey you VR-4 guys stick around and post some eh? I like seeing a mix of car guys on here to give their knowledge (or in some cases lack of it haha) (but not in this thread)

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Its a given that more air means more oxygen. The oxygen doesn't somehow separate from the nitrogen in the process of induction, so whenever you have more air, you obviously have more oxygen.

Looks like lost your arguement, so you're resulted to technicalities. Very sad.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm with Wesman on this one. Maybe I'm not understanding this. Putting 30 lbs of boost through an engine isn't supposed to be more stressful than the stock boost of lets say an Evo? That makes no sense to me, then again I'm trying to understand so educate me differently.

Black Top Red
    1997 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Not Canadians on LS1.com

Hey you VR-4 guys stick around and post some eh? I like seeing a mix of car guys on here to give their knowledge (or in some cases lack of it haha) (but not in this thread)
    I've been here since 06, but I lurk more than anything. I wanna race Wes now though How epic would that be?!?!
    Last edited by AudibleSilence; 09-24-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleSilence View Post
    It depends..our engines are pretty stout. I've seen healthy VR4's put down 300-315awhp, though most put down power in the 270's. They run 13's stock w/ a boost controller and a decent driver. A few folks have run high 12's bone stock w/ the boost cranked up a bit (usually 1bar).

I think 700-800 crank hp is the limit of the stock internals. The reason our cars get a bad rap is the previous lack of aftermarket support. We have a kick ass aftermarket though now, and you can build a 500hp car for peanuts now. 15gs+proper supporting mods will run you under just 3k and put down close to 500awhp.

It isn't hard to make power in these cars...they just get a bad rap because of the rocky start they had.

buy mine

Fixed...Some of us have AWD Robb
    what is your asking price?

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by deathsled View Post
    I don't have any times yet, I just rebuilt this car and it's only been running for a little over a month. That's why I was excited to race someone finally who could give me a good indication of what kind of power they made, its the only way I can tell what kind of power my car is putting down until I get on a dyno or take it to the track.

4 years ago it ran a 13.1 @ around 110 on 10psi with what turned out to be pretty much blown turbos. That might have even been when i was running 1 stock turbo and 1 upgraded one (one of the upgraded ones had already failed).

Now I anticipate low 12s at 115mph+, but I don't want to throw out numbers without anything to back it up really.

I built this car for autox, road course, and touge, not for drag. It's responsive now, not a power house.

only came out of the woodwork because someone else brought this thread to my attention. that and because his version is completely inaccurate. Would you stand by and let someone say they "wasted" you? And then let them say how "shocked" you were? We couldn't be further from the truth here hahahaha
    lol looks like you made alot of friends. imo drop the gto sign and just show the car for what it is. i dont really care whether you do or not i just am not a fan of putting emblems/decals on a car therefor suggesting something its not. but then again that is just imo

Black Top Red
    1997 3000GT VR4

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    lol looks like you made alot of friends. imo drop the gto sign and just show the car for what it is. i dont really care whether you do or not i just am not a fan of putting emblems/decals on a car therefor suggesting something its not. but then again that is just imo
    Yea but it's called the GTO in every other country. They changed it here because they knew some Americans would get butt hurt over it.. Then again the same Americans went and bought a rebadged Holden a decade later so you really have to wonder what all the fuss was about......

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yea but it's called the GTO in every other country. They changed it here because they knew some Americans would get butt hurt over it.. Then again the same Americans went and bought a rebadged Holden a decade later so you really have to wonder what all the fuss was about......
    I think it was less about people being "butthurt" and more about GM sueing them and putting the entire Mitsubishi corporation out of business for good.

At least the Monaro was worthy of the GTO name, being a V8, RWD pony car. Its only downfall was its somewhat bland styling.

silver
    2002 ws6

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice......
    what are you talking aboot, eh?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information