Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Props from an Evolution

This is a discussion on Props from an Evolution within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Cayenne97 Man I must be getting old, because the term "rice" obviously has a new meaning today. ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Man I must be getting old, because the term "rice" obviously has a new meaning today. I'm 27 now, and when I was about 14-15 is when the word first came about, as a spin-off of the term "rice rocket". The original definition was any import car that was dressed with a fart can muffler, any type of graphics on the exterior, a big wing, any and all cheesy exterior mods, racing seats, lots of gauges, fire extinguisher...basically a whole bunch of crap piled on on top of an import. It didn't have anything to do with the build quality or how well that car lived up to it's purpose for being produced. A WRX/STI, EVO, Civic, Integra... and so on, are all "rice" like it or not!
    Nice to see someone who was around to know the true definiton of the word "rice".

Amazing how people have tried to modify the definition to suite their own agendas. If you drive a car like an Evo, of course you don't want people calling your car rice, so you make up another definion for the word that you think doesn't fit your car. Too bad you're not fooling anyone. Welcome to Urban dictionary, where ricers write their own definitions of rice to suite themselves, not what the word actually means.

red
    2000 camaro ss

well, i know the "stock" version of the word- - -i.e. big wings, muffler cans, etc. . . .and my "modded" version extends to anything that anyone thinks is "the baddest thing on the street" that is not. - - -in a nutshell.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Amazing how people have tried to modify the definition to suite their own agendas. If you drive a car like an Evo, of course you don't want people calling your car rice, so you make up another definion for the word that you think doesn't fit your car. Too bad you're not fooling anyone. Welcome to Urban dictionary, where ricers write their own definitions of rice to suite themselves, not what the word actually means.
    Agreed.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

Rice was coined from crotch rockets. People used to call them Rice Rockets. It came from there, but the word has been bastardized beyond belief. It is considered by many to be a derogatory term.

In 1983 if I called a Camaro or a Mustang a Mullet Mobile it probably wouldn't mean jack, now though? Same type of thing I guess.

Either way any thread on this site about the STi/Evo always turns into a hater fest, mostly by people who are still stuck in the 13s, don't race regularly, and are otherwise not hip to the game. Unless you've been hiding under a rock the last 3 years you'd know there are really only a handful of cars that anyone cares about anymore.

z06/supra/terminator/evo/sti

If you're not racing against one, or racing one, no one really cares.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    I would not call the STI or the Evo rice. I have respect for Japanese sports cars, In the right hands they can be stylish and pretty fast. when i think rice i think of some little economical Japanese car that has a body kit/ wing and loud exhaust. Then they somehow think its fast.
    I wouldnt call an Evo or STI sport cars they are mostly rally cars, which as fore stated. A japanese sports cars would be the 240's and the 300zx or the rare and heavy VR4. Other than that, a nice car that properly tuned, and fixed, deserves some props. I would also prefer an Evo or an STI aswell

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 4tun8 View Post
    Rice was coined from crotch rockets. People used to call them Rice Rockets. It came from there, but the word has been bastardized beyond belief. It is considered by many to be a derogatory term.
    Rice rockets and riceburners are not the same thing. People called asian bikes rice rockets, and asian cars riceburners. Not that hard to understand.

Either way any thread on this site about the STi/Evo always turns into a hater fest, mostly by people who are still stuck in the 13s, don't race regularly, and are otherwise not hip to the game. Unless you've been hiding under a rock the last 3 years you'd know there are really only a handful of cars that anyone cares about anymore.
    Yea, everyone on this forum is stuck in the 13's actually. Your car is so damn fast nobody on here can come close to touching you

Now that is a complete joke.

Out of all the cars in the world, you think people only care about those 5 cars??

And on top of that, you have the nerve to mention the Evo and STi in that select group?? LMAO, only ricers brag about those two cars, which explains your entire post.

red
    2000 camaro ss

In 1983 if I called a Camaro or a Mustang a Mullet Mobile it probably wouldn't mean jack, now though? Same type of thing I guess.

If you're not racing against one, or racing one, no one really cares
    i race against all 4, including a myriad of "supercars" (i dont think they're super). i ran in 12's w/ bolt ons, and i run 11's with "road race" suspension. . . .hardly drag friendly. and evo's and sti's are turned into RICE by anyone who slaps some soft tires on and think it's the baddest thing on the street.

as far as f-bodies go- no1 ever really cared about them "mainstream". . . .i have gotten "what the hell is that" or "how the hell did you do that" or "i never knew they could do that" the entire time i owned/raced my car. . . you expose any cornball to an AWD launch and they think they are in the fastest rocket that ever had wheels. after 30 it's like any other rice burner, 'cept it's turnin 4 wheels. . . .
    Last edited by side2000; 01-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post

as far as f-bodies go- no1 ever really cared about them "mainstream". . . .i have gotten "what the hell is that" or "how the hell did you do that" or "i never knew they could do that" the entire time i owned/raced my car. . . you expose any cornball to an AWD launch and they think they are in the fastest rocket that ever had wheels. after 30 it's like any other rice burner, 'cept it's turnin 4 wheels. . . .
    Pretty much. Every high school kid and his brother wants an Evo or STI, its basically the latest fad. You know its a fad because the cars don't look nice, they don't sound nice, they are way overpriced, and they do nothing that any other car can't do. But thats what kids these days think are cool, hence the desire to own one. Sad state of affairs we live in these days when a kid's dream car is a 4 cylinder 4 door riceburner that costs $35,000
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

you got the price aspect right. this guy i know drove an evo off the lot for 39 grand a few years ago. i did everything i could to get him a ride in my car before he went 'n did that. needless to say he's open about his shame. when he's had a few drinks he can be convinced to hit some dirt though

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

you got the price aspect right. this guy i know drove an evo off the lot for 39 grand a few years ago. i did everything i could to get him a ride in my car before he went 'n did that. needless to say he's open about his shame. when he's had a few drinks he can be convinced to hit some dirt though
    Some people...you just can't reach...lol.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

When he's had a few drinks LOL.

Yellow
    2003 Lancer Evolution

You're right Wesman, I left out a car. The skyline. Woops.

10's N/A

Funny. I personally could care less about a damn EVO. Those things are downright ugly, no matter how farty they sound. And I don't think there are too many people here on LS1 stuck in the 13's. Heck, tires and a good driver can get you through that obstacle.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

uhm....your so called list "cars that anyone cares about anymore" is pretty lame, and its even lamer you added your ugly evo to that list, none the less put cars like the z06 and termi in the same list when they are WAAY above your car, i'v never really had a problem with you on this site, but that was some dumb stuff to say.....maybe even the dumbest comment i have herd on this site thus far.....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1 RedHot TransAm View Post
    uhm....your so called list "cars that anyone cares about anymore" is pretty lame, and its even lamer you added your ugly evo to that list, none the less put cars like the z06 and termi in the same list when they are WAAY above your car, i'v never really had a problem with you on this site, but that was some dumb stuff to say.....maybe even the dumbest comment i have herd on this site thus far.....
    His post is probably the most arrogant thing I've seen in a long time.

He comes on an F-body site and tells people nobody cares about our cars anymore, only about evos and stis among a very select few others, when he just happens to drive an Evo himself. How ironic, and pathetic, at the same time.

Once a ricer, always a ricer.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You're right Wesman, I left out a car. The skyline. Woops.
    Nobody cares about the Skyline, either.

Wow, a car that looks like every other japanese 2 door coupe ever made, with a whopping 276HP, that gets beat by stock C5 Corvettes. Amazing?? No. The only people that cream their pants over skylines are ricers, its one of the most overhyped cars ever, along with the Supra and Evo.
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-21-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Nobody cares about the Skyline, either.

Wow, a car that looks like every other japanese 2 door coupe ever made, with a whopping 276HP, that gets beat by stock C5 Corvettes. Amazing?? No. The only people that cream their pants over skylines are ricers, its one of the most overhyped cars ever, along with the Supra and Evo.
    Let me elaborate on this. The reason it came with 276hp is because the Gentleman's Agreement in Japan limited all production cars to 280hp. With nothing other than an ECU retune Skylines can put more than 280hp to the wheels stock. The iron block RB26DETT that comes with those cars are some of the strongest I6 ever made.

Still 280hp powering 4 wheels, isn't going to beat 300hp C5 powering 2 wheels in a lighter chassis.

..... However..... once the mods start coming, since the car has one of the strongest AWD systems made, you can easily kick butt in those cars. You can get over 600whp without ever lifting the valve cover on the engine (totally stock internals). That's well into the 10s and even the 9s if you race prep the car. Hrmmm..... amazing for not having to do anything to the engine except a turbo upgrade.... maybe not but a C5 doesn't eclipse this car, but that doesn't mean the Skyline is better by any means

I understand your argument was comparing stock cars, but you must understand that in some areas cars are capped and limited in there performance due to rules and regulations.... unlike the US.

It's just a shame that this car is followed by ricers, Nissan fan boys, and gets some of the worst rep.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Let me elaborate on this. The reason it came with 276hp is because the Gentleman's Agreement in Japan limited all production cars to 280hp. With nothing other than an ECU retune Skylines can put more than 280hp to the wheels stock. The iron block RB26DETT that comes with those cars are some of the strongest I6 ever made.
    I don't care about what it puts down with a "ECU retune", which obviously consists of increased boost, modified timing, leaned out fuel trims, ect. Mods are an entirely different ballgame, I'm talking about STOCK cars. What does the Skyline put to the wheels, BONE STOCK?? I'm willing to bet that 276HP, despite the "gentlemen's agreement", is still accurate.

Still 280hp powering 4 wheels, isn't going to beat 300hp C5 powering
    2 wheels in a lighter chassis.
    Skyline has 276HP. Corvette has 350HP. And they Vette puts more to the wheels because the Skyline is losing about 20% through its AWD system.

And Surprise, the Vette weighs less too. And 04 Vette is 3214lbs, an R34 GT-R is 3395lbs, converted over from kilograms.

Corvette wins.

..... However..... once the mods start coming, since the car has one of the strongest AWD systems made, you can easily kick butt in those cars. You can get over 600whp without ever lifting the valve cover on the engine (totally stock internals). That's well into the 10s and even the 9s if you race prep the car. Hrmmm..... amazing for not having to do anything to the engine except a turbo upgrade.... maybe not but a C5 doesn't eclipse this car, but that doesn't mean the Skyline is better by any means
    Guess what else can put down 600HP without lifting a valve cover...the 3800 Series II Supercharged I have sitting in the driveway. With nothing more than a turbo kit it will put down 500+WHP. And this is just your average American V6 engine that was designed back in 1975. Its been doing service for almost 35 years a huge number of GM cars. Guess your Skyline isn't so special anymore, is it??

And despite all your claims of it being a race car, C5 is still a better platform. It weighs less, handles better, sounds (100 times) better, and the drivetrain is better. The C5 doesn't need a clunky AWD system to handle or put power to the ground, hence its rear mounted transaxle, which distributes weight better than a traditional setup. The C5 is the better vehicle in every way, and its no longer even a benchmark for American performance now that the C6 has been out.
    Last edited by Wesman; 01-21-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Unless you've been hiding under a rock the last 3 years you'd know there are really only a handful of cars that anyone cares about anymore.

You left out Turbo Buicks. But I guess that's what makes them good sleepers.

I don't care about what it puts down with a "ECU retune", which obviously consists of increased boost, modified timing, leaned out fuel trims, ect. Mods are an entirely different ballgame, I'm talking about STOCK cars. What does the Skyline put to the wheels, BONE STOCK?? I'm willing to bet that 276HP, despite the "gentlemen's agreement", is still accurate.
    Okay if you want to play it that game, how about both the C5 and the Skyline get a "ECU retune" with nothing else done and see who pulls out the most power gains, and why the Skyline is underrated from the factory. Seriously..... I'm going to debate a stock cars performance with you. We all know we're in this hobby to modify, race, and have fun with our cars. I'm telling you very very little needs to be done to get that car over 300whp into stock C5 territory. And with the power gains, the car has no problems getting it down with the AWD. You are so incredibly biased man it's incredible.

Skyline has 276HP. Corvette has 350HP. And they Vette puts more to the wheels because the Skyline is losing about 20% through its AWD system.

And Surprise, the Vette weighs less too. And 04 Vette is 3214lbs, an R34 GT-R is 3395lbs, converted over from kilograms.

Corvette wins
    Did you read what I said? The car is know to put down 280AWHP stock, and more with a tune, since the car was underrated due to the "Gentleman's Agreement". A C5 Corvette is not putting 350 to the wheels stock. It's the same LS1 that's in the F-body. A manual will put out around 300whp stock, and auto about 280whp. Yes, the Skyline does lose more power to the drivetrain, but it can make up for it with the AWD launch in which the C5 will have the play catch-up at half track. In all, both cars are running low 13s to high 12s with a good driver (I know there are a few freaks out there, but I'm saying your general census of these cars).

Guess what else can put down 600HP without lifting a valve cover...the 3800 Series II Supercharged I have sitting in the driveway. With nothing more than a turbo kit it will put down 500+WHP. And this is just your average American V6 engine that was designed back in 1975. Its been doing service for almost 35 years a huge number of GM cars. Guess your Skyline isn't so special anymore, is it??
    Well, that motor has it's roots from the Buick Grand National, when it finally became a decent powerplant. Nothing was really changed other than cheaper internals and that retarded FWD layout. Wesman.... wtf are you doing fooling around with FWD???? There are RB motors that have gone over 200k miles with 500+whp. They are some of the most durable, longest lasting 6 cylinder motors when pelted with modifications. I'm not saying the 3800 Series isn't any good, I'm just saying it's no where in a league of its own. There are much better 6 cylinders out there than some technology from the '70s.

And despite all your claims of it being a race car, C5 is still a better platform. It weighs less, handles better, sounds (100 times) better, and the drivetrain is better. The C5 doesn't need a clunky AWD system to handle or put power to the ground, hence its rear mounted transaxle, which distributes weight better than a traditional setup. The C5 is the better vehicle in every way, and its no longer even a benchmark for American performance now that the C6 has been out.
    Did I ever say the Skyline was a race car? You are so ignorant.

"It weighs less, sounds (100 times) better" <---- I agree with that bit.

Handling and drivetrain is better?..... Eh... No... don't think so. Hope you don't have to much wheel hop and crack the rear transaxle.... opps. C5s do handle great. I've driven a couple and they're pretty darn good (way better than an F-body), but I don't see a C5s drivetrain or handling out performing an AWD system unless it's seriously set up to do so (of course you're going to give flak for this, I do understand than many race cars and platform are RWD... I'm just saying in general).

The C5 is not better than the Skyline in every way. It excels in some, and is behind in others. However, just so you don't get your panties in a wad, I will state that I would own a C5 over a Skyline, solely on the availability of parts, 2 seater, simple, V8, and the fantastic look it has.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information