Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Pontiac G8 GT vs Trans Am WS6

Disclaimer- this wasn't a race. But the WS6 really wanted to run.

I am not one to turn down a race, but when you are in between two school zones (within a mile of each other) and a Hospital with cross walks... well then I do turn down a dangerous race like that.

I pass a NBM WS6 TA going about 35 mph, approached a red light.
    I was behind someone at the light, he was to my left behind no one.

The SUV in front of me was moving slow, so I get over behind the WS6 after the light turns green and we clear the intersection. he romps on the gas. I get over in the middle lane (beside him)
    He slows down to 30 mph, I get beside him, and he guns it, probably held it to 60-70mph (mind you we are in between two school zones (yes they are not active but still) It is in the City too.

Long story short, I didn't race him, but would have liked to.

PS- It was an extremely busted looking WS6- Faded paint, chewed through clear coat, and damaged bumper and front end, and was desperately in need of a bath and wax.

Two questions.

1- was this any of you?
    2- Any speculations of the outcome (I have Magnaflow catback with X pipe and ECM/TCM tune) His pipes looked stock and sounded stock. (I use to own a 02 WS6)

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post

I am not one to turn down a race, but when you are in between two school zones (within a mile of each other) and a Hospital with cross walks... well then I do turn down a dangerous race like that.

The SUV in front of me was moving slow, so I get over behind the WS6 after the light turns green and we clear the intersection. he romps on the gas. I get over in the middle lane (beside him)
    He slows down to 30 mph, I get beside him, and he guns it, probably held it to 60-70mph (mind you we are in between two school zones (yes they are not active but still) It is in the City too.

PS- It was an extremely busted looking WS6- Faded paint, chewed through clear coat, and damaged bumper and front end, and was desperately in need of a bath and wax.

Two questions.

1- was this any of you?
    2- Any speculations of the outcome (I have Magnaflow catback with X pipe and ECM/TCM tune) His pipes looked stock and sounded stock. (I use to own a 02 WS6)
    I think it would be close if he could drive and it was a m6, if he is stock you would have a 60-70whp advantage but he would have a 600lbs weight advantage.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Two questions.

1- was this any of you?
    i figure you should wax him if hes stock

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I think it would be close if he could drive and it was a m6, if he is stock you would have a 60-70whp advantage but he would have a 600lbs weight advantage.
    Yeah I raced one before - and I actually won by about a half a car.

I say it is a driver's race for sure. I probably run 13.0-13.3 (don't know- but that is the average with my modifications. (some have seen 12.9s)

I could never get a great launch with my WS6- my best 1/4 was a 13.66.

So if were driving both, the G8 would win for sure.. lol.. But with a good driver, it would likely be the other way around.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yeah I raced one before - and I actually won by about a half a car.

I say it is a driver's race for sure. I probably run 13.0-13.3 (don't know- but that is the average with my modifications. (some have seen 12.9s)

I could never get a great launch with my WS6- my best 1/4 was a 13.66.

So if were driving both, the G8 would win for sure.. lol.. But with a good driver, it would likely be the other way around.
    Id say most stock f-bodys won't see a 13.0. I consider my self good with the m6 and the best i got stock was a 13.32 @106mph and best trap speed stock was a 107mph. My T/A was also a non-ws6 but as you can see that makes no difference.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

imo, drivers race for sure. neighbor has a bone stock g8gt, he bugged me one night to throw the g-tech in it to see what itll do. He is a young lad that cant drive that well. 6 passes and only one run dipped into the 13's. My 98 ta consistenly hitting mid 13's . The car just cannot launch out of the hole, could not get it to spin at all. Once it got moving tho, totally different car! Correct me if iam wrong but i believe they are 365hp. Hell of a car those g8's. I likey! thats my 2cents

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2008/2009 model is 361 HP/ 385 ft/lbs torque (I drive a 2009)

2009.5 models have extra Cats and is rated at 355hp same torque.

Your neighbor needs a tune! My Superchips (Cortex) tune made my car feel A LOT faster and much more fun. Especially after removing most of the BS Torque Managment this transmission is riddled with.

My car spins fairly easily in first (especially with cold tires) actually scratches 2nd gear pretty good, not bad for an automatic.

With Traction control off- this car will get completely sideways with moderate throttle during a left/or right turn.

So much fun.. I miss my TA sometimes, but this car is alot of fun too.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yes the g8 gt makes 360hp with a crappy factory 87 octane tune. People have gone 13.4 with a tune only. Also that factory tuning for the tranny is horrible. The car really opens up setup for 93 octane and a tranny adjsutment. Bolt on and tuned G8 GTs are making almost 400whp

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

thats what i thought, (torque management crap) I'll have to tell him about the tune tho, well maybe not, i hate losing! LOL Hes thinking about some mods but the tune alone should probably be a good mod to start. Iam putting on lt's,ory, magnaflow catback this spring and a tune, i will invite him out and line up with him. see how it goes, will keep ya all posted. ps, i aint telling him about my mods!

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Yes the g8 gt makes 360hp with a crappy factory 87 octane tune. People have gone 13.4 with a tune only. Also that factory tuning for the tranny is horrible. The car really opens up setup for 93 octane and a tranny adjsutment. Bolt on and tuned G8 GTs are making almost 400whp
    LT Headers,
    Custom Tune
    Cam (don't know specs but not too agressive)
    Axlebacks
    Air Intake

Dynos 426 rwhp or so.

A guy in town has this set up.

ON a side note (our fastest G8 on our board) w/ bolt ons (no cam) is 12.1x (with Torque converter).

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

13.3x is fastest bone stock time, but most are 13.4-13.7.

blue
    1998 Trans Am ls1

impressive to say the least, big potential in that motor

Arctic White, red/gray

LT Headers,
    Custom Tune
    Cam (don't know specs but not too agressive)
    Axlebacks
    Air Intake

Dynos 426 rwhp or so.

A guy in town has this set up.

ON a side note (our fastest G8 on our board) w/ bolt ons (no cam) is 12.1x (with Torque converter).
    It must be a small can or low reading dyno as i have seen 440-450whp on good cam and bolt on g8 gt. Same size engine as the ls2 but with better flowing heads makes for a good start, just gotta ditch the cylinder shut off.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

It must be a small can or low reading dyno as i have seen 440-450whp on good cam and bolt on g8 gt. Same size engine as the ls2 but with better flowing heads makes for a good start, just gotta ditch the cylinder shut off.

Not sure--

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASExQljz8PQ[/ame]

A black G8 on the dyno (Livernois tuned)-- that is the specific one I am talking about.

I think the highest I have heard of is 449 rwhp. but that is going off my bad memory....

PS this has factory mufflers- I thought he had GXP mufflers (not a big difference)

Black
    2001 WS6

I'll say the gt's were a good parting gift from pontiac. That much power and ability in a 4 door is impressive. on a side note, with future cars (stang, camaro, challenger and charger), I think we'll start seeing that we have the advantage in weighing less in the future, with all the new safety standards they're implementing. Put some of those newer engines in our cars, and we'd definitely see the weight advantage

Thread Information