Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Owned by a LS1

This is a discussion on Owned by a LS1 within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; what if u just got a cheaper one? 18 grand is lot for an fbody these days...

2000pontiac6
    what if u just got a cheaper one? 18 grand is lot for an fbody these days

00BlkConvt
    Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60 View Post
    Good luck. It must be frustrating for you not being able to catch people on the street. Even when you're just trying to check out the driver.

Don't worry, that wont happen much if you get an LS1. After you get it, you're only a few mods away from being able to hang with about anything you'll see on a day to day basis. No more hot chicks in hot cars running away from you.
    What kind of mods do you suggest?

00BlkConvt
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    what if u just got a cheaper one? 18 grand is lot for an fbody these days
    Mine was 16,000 and I used a $2,000 car trade in for it. So basically $14,000. You can find Autos very cheap if that's your thing. I HATE automatics, so I deffinetly prefer to pay more for 6spd.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Yeah my co-signer is way the hell in North Carolina tho. God I wish I had credit. She will be here Saturday.
    I was told by Jeff at Carolina Auto Masters that there is something up with the electronics on 97-98 LS1's, something about them being hard to tune. For best value, I would look at a 99-02 Z28 or Formula. But, if you can't live without an SS or WS6, then go for it, but you will pay extra, on yearly taxes and initial price.

Don't be scared of mileage. Mine had 88K on it, full bolt-ons, and gears, got it for 8K. I have done many doughnuts, took it to the track several times, and a sh*t-ton of street racing. I pulled old nitrous wiring out when I put a new CD player in it. She has been abused, then I laid down abuse for another 12K miles.

Result? Not a drop of oil anywhere, not a single tick, purrs like a kitten, no smoke whatsoever. When I put the heads on it a couple months ago, there was little, if any, wear on the cylinders. Gotta love that LS1.

The rear-end has crapped on me twice though, why does there always have to be a catch?

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

I have an LT1 and have still never had any trouble passing anyone I want! Chip, filter, exhaust, shift kit, and posi and boy does she go! I've done 148 mph like its nothing and the only guys to even challenge me were one guy in a 1995 Z28 (with my buddy in the car I just about ran him over with him starting first, no room to pass) and another guy in a Saleen S351, whom I didn't get to find out an outcome. But seriously, the average car on the street can't compare to any f-body with more than 300 horsepower. It's an awesome feeling.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Oh trust me I know. I just assumed GT mustang V8 its gotta be quick. Its terrible. Performance and quality its terrible.
    u have no idea how many misinformed people i meet thinking the same thing...and when i tell them how fast our 4th gens are they just look at me like " yyeeaah"...ive seen a 5spd 3.8liter i/e v6 camaro beat an auto 97gt ahahah....imagine how pissed you woulda been if that happened to u

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I got beat by a RSX-type S. Thats low enough.

I got beat by a RSX-type S. Thats low enough.
    lol, you would be surprised bout those cars....my friend had one with full exhaust, intake, header, hondata and ivtech....which lets it rev bout 1k higher and had a second v-tech kick in.....from a roll he chirped all three gears....he hung with my buddy's ls1 neck and neck from a roll till the ls1 hit third and slowly pulled away...u have to remember they weigh under 3000lbs....

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    I have an LT1 and have still never had any trouble passing anyone I want! Chip, filter, exhaust, shift kit, and posi and boy does she go! I've done 148 mph like its nothing and the only guys to even challenge me were one guy in a 1995 Z28 (with my buddy in the car I just about ran him over with him starting first, no room to pass) and another guy in a Saleen S351, whom I didn't get to find out an outcome. But seriously, the average car on the street can't compare to any f-body with more than 300 horsepower. It's an awesome feeling.
    with a chip and i/e...u dont have 300rwhp in a lt1 buddy

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

He might have been talking about fwhp. (fly-wheel-horse-power)

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    lol, you would be surprised bout those cars....my friend had one with full exhaust, intake, header, hondata and ivtech....which lets it rev bout 1k higher and had a second v-tech kick in.....from a roll he chirped all three gears....he hung with my buddy's ls1 neck and neck from a roll till the ls1 hit third and slowly pulled away...u have to remember they weigh under 3000lbs....
    That must be a one of a kind motor. The vtech changes to a second cam profile. I don't think you can have 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    That must be a one of a kind motor. The vtech changes to a second cam profile. I don't think you can have 3 of them.
    yeah i think it kicks the second one in earlier er sumtin...im no v-tech expert,lol....just from what i recall him saying...im might have misunderstood him though, but it was sick from a roll

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    yeah i think it kicks the second one in earlier er sumtin...im no v-tech expert,lol....just from what i recall him saying...im might have misunderstood him though, but it was sick from a roll
    I know there is a 3 stage one, but I don't think it made it's way to the US yet. I had a S2000 and when the Vtec kicked in at about 6500 rpm's it was almost like hitting a nitrous button. The power kicked way up and the sound of motor was like hitting high blend on a blender. That was only a two stage. 1st for normal driving and 2nd for high rpm.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

the vtec kicks in EARLIER there isnt a 2nd one..LOL...my car before this one was an 03 rsx-s.......there 2600 lbs....quick car but no comparison to an ls1.....with the mods described above.....intake,exhaust,hondata your talking about 225-230 horse ...nothing spetacular......they dont take to mods like an ls1....honda pushed them nearly to there limits out of the factory....even when strapping a jackson racing supercharger to one your only taking 260-270 horses with full bolt ons as well.....would take that much in mods just to KEEP up with a completely stock ls1`.........i never did and never would race an ls1 in my rsx when i owned it...would just be stupid.....got my ass handed to me by an integra type r from a highway roll though.....lol....doing abotu 130 this guy all of a sudden walked the shit out of me ..we were nearly even till that point......nitrous?????? hehe

pewter

oh those cars handle like gocarts though........i could throw the lil fucker around at willl all the way to its limit IN control...........wish i could push my z to its limit in the same way and not worry about dieing

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I know the feeling. That thing is a little sketchy at high speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    the vtec kicks in EARLIER there isnt a 2nd one..LOL...my car before this one was an 03 rsx-s.......there 2600 lbs....quick car but no comparison to an ls1.....with the mods described above.....intake,exhaust,hondata your talking about 225-230 horse ...nothing spetacular......they dont take to mods like an ls1....honda pushed them nearly to there limits out of the factory....even when strapping a jackson racing supercharger to one your only taking 260-270 horses with full bolt ons as well.....would take that much in mods just to KEEP up with a completely stock ls1`.........i never did and never would race an ls1 in my rsx when i owned it...would just be stupid.....got my ass handed to me by an integra type r from a highway roll though.....lol....doing abotu 130 this guy all of a sudden walked the shit out of me ..we were nearly even till that point......nitrous?????? hehe
    i think a 2600lb car with 260-270hp to the ground can take a stock ls1 that weighs 800 more lbs and has only bout 40-50 more hp

pewter

ever heard of tourqe steer????? was bad at STOCK levels...and its not nearly as aerodynamic as the z....and a STOCK z is closer to 350 flywheel horse compared to the 260-270.........a stock 6 speed ls1 would take it hands down......off the line AND top end ..and thats with 5k plus worth of mods to the rsx with NO supporting mods

pewter

oh and it was 2700 lbs......have u owned one????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information