Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New Mustangs

This is a discussion on New Mustangs within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by secondgearscratch save one on this list and the rest are still losing to the c6. sad, but ...

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    save one on this list and the rest are still losing to the c6.

sad, but true.
    The Vette has and always will be the baddest vehicle on the road affordable to the average joe. Thats why the legacy is what it is..... And w/ the new C6 Z06 the legacy is just flat out retarded now.... I mean a vehicle that runs 10s on DRs and traps at 120+ off the showroom floor. Yep, thats legacy right there my friends....

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The Mustang is not a direct competitor for the Vette - never has been, probably never will be. The reasons are numerous. People compare them because there is nothing left at GM to compare to the Mustang.

Not very sad, but certainly very true.

save one on this list and the rest are still losing to the c6.

sad, but true.
    LMAO @ comparing a mustang to a vette. Come on, seriously.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Ford will do something stupid to match them. Just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    The Mustang is not a direct competitor for the Vette - never has been, probably never will be. The reasons are numerous. People compare them because there is nothing left at GM to compare to the Mustang.

Not very sad, but certainly very true.
    I agree with you here. Its always been camaro vs. mustang. Corvettes just never have anything in direct view of competition. Think about it, they usually comapre the zo6s to fucking expensive exotic cars, not blinged out mustangs.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Well, they won the pony war, I guess since they had that whole market they would leave GM alone in the affordable 2 seat sport car class, which is rather small.

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Ford will do something stupid to match them. Just watch.
    yeah it was called a Thunderbird back in the day.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Oh yeah, forgot about the T-bird. Looks like the Vette is king of its market, like the mustang is king of its market. Dethroning either has proven to be a challenge to automakers.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    its not my problem that ford doesnt make a two seater sports car.
    if you think that the terminator wasnt built to best the vettes of 03-04 you are in denial. they already had no direct competition with gm in the 2+2 v8 category and repeatedly sold more gts than gm did f bodies.

i guess they just supercharged a 5.4 liter and called it the gt500 "for the hell of it right". they did it so perhaps they could sway potential c6 buyers toward them. so you come on bud.

the ford gt is the competitor of the italian supercars right? and it just so happens the c6 z06 will out run it stock for stock. explain since youre obviously so in touch with automotive competition...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Color me in denial. The 'Terminator' certainly had the regular C5 in its sights as far as acceleration (and it hit the mark quite easily), but nobody at Ford had any illusions that it would outperform the Vette in handling, top speed, etc.

The name "GT500" has history that is far, far, far beyond the C6 or Z06 or anything of the sort. They called it that for heritage (think 1967+), not because of the Vette. There are always those that will cross-shop a Vette and a high-powered Mustang for this reason or that, but the two cars are polar-opposites in many areas.

The Ford GT and C6 Z06 are virtually dead-even performance wise, stock for stock. Price is no comparison. But then again, neither is exclusivity (which means something to some - not to me).
    Last edited by BLKCLOUD; 05-03-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

The Ford GT and C6 Z06 are virtually dead-even performance wise, stock for stock. Price is no comparison. But then again, neither is exclusivity (which means something to some - not to me).
    Actually, the C6 Z06 is about the baddest fcuking thing on the planet right about now. I can't really comment on the curves but slap DR's on both to even things up and the GT isn't gonna keep w/ in two cars..... GM really outdid themselves w/ the new Z06..... This Stingray/Blue Devil they are talking about, its going to be pulled from production when people start killing themselves..... Making a car like they're talking about from the factory should be illegal.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The C6 is most certainly amazing, and way ahead of anything even close to its price range. However, in virtually any measure of performance, the GT is at least its equal. Don't take my word for it though (I don't own either one, and I'm pretty sure you don't either). Go look up the comparisons/specs.

BTW....where did you get the 'slap DRs and the GT will lose by two cars' thing from? Sounds like pure conjecture - and DRs will help the GT just as much as the Vette (even given the GT's rear engine setup).

I think your statement about the SS/Blue Devil is rather silly.

its not my problem that ford doesnt make a two seater sports car.
    if you think that the terminator wasnt built to best the vettes of 03-04 you are in denial. they already had no direct competition with gm in the 2+2 v8 category and repeatedly sold more gts than gm did f bodies.

i guess they just supercharged a 5.4 liter and called it the gt500 "for the hell of it right". they did it so perhaps they could sway potential c6 buyers toward them. so you come on bud.

the ford gt is the competitor of the italian supercars right? and it just so happens the c6 z06 will out run it stock for stock. explain since youre obviously so in touch with automotive competition...
    wow, you dont know much about the car industry do ya.....

Black
    01 Camaro SS

The C6 is most certainly amazing, and way ahead of anything even close to its price range. However, in virtually any measure of performance, the GT is at least its equal. Don't take my word for it though (I don't own either one, and I'm pretty sure you don't either). Go look up the comparisons/specs.

BTW....where did you get the 'slap DRs and the GT will lose by two cars' thing from? Sounds like pure conjecture - and DRs will help the GT just as much as the Vette (even given the GT's rear engine setup).

I think your statement about the SS/Blue Devil is rather silly.
    According to the MT tests the GT can't keep up w/ the Z06 in a straight line. Far as I know there aint much out there off the showroom floor that can.

The sad thing is you would hope the GT is its equal for that 180k price tag....

And you dont think its ridiculous to put out a 700+HP vehicle? I think its purely absurd. Granted most of the people that can afford it will be older but I can't remember the exact numbers on the Z06 but I think something like 1 out of every 3 get totalled or rolled. And you dont think adding 200 more horse will make it that much more dangerous. The car manufacturer's have to stop somewhere..... Putting out a stock 10 second car isnt enough???

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

the stingray corvette is gonna have anywhere between 600-700 horsepower and is gonna cost >100k. No way anyone that can afford one is gonna roll it...

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    the stingray corvette is gonna have anywhere between 600-700 horsepower and is gonna cost >100k. No way anyone that can afford one is gonna roll it...
    We'll see. I'd be suprised if GM put a price tag like that on it but you never know. Last report I had heard was that they were looking at about 740 horse on it. Its gonna be interesting either way. To see the final production numbers and price.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    According to the MT tests the GT can't keep up w/ the Z06 in a straight line. Far as I know there aint much out there off the showroom floor that can.
    That test is bound to be online. Can you post it, please? And while we're magazine racing, and in order to back up your assertion, how about posting some other mag tests of both cars so that we can compare and not have to take your word for it?

The sad thing is you would hope the GT is its equal for that 180k price tag....
    The GT is expensive because they are essentially one-off cars. Nothing on that car shares anything with anything else Ford produces, thus there is no ready-built infastructure to call on. The Vette, of course, has all of that, which is why it is such a fantastic performance bargain.

And you dont think its ridiculous to put out a 700+HP vehicle?
    Does it matter what I think? I was simply responding to a statement - to wit: "it is going to be pulled from production when people start killing themselves".

That's a ridiculas statement, IMHO.

I think its purely absurd. Granted most of the people that can afford it will be older but I can't remember the exact numbers on the Z06 but I think something like 1 out of every 3 get totalled or rolled.
    Where on earth are you getting these numbers from? Until and unless you can produce some shred of evidence that supports your assertion, your statement is nothing more than support for why you DO NOT believe much of anything you read on an internet message forum.

And you dont think adding 200 more horse will make it that much more dangerous. The car manufacturer's have to stop somewhere..... Putting out a stock 10 second car isnt enough???
    And now we start putting words in mouth. I did not say anything about it being more or less dangerous. 200 more HP certainly adds potential for getting into trouble faster. No doubt. Certainly insurance should be insane - no doubt. But again, I did not comment on that directly.

Bob

Pewter
    2000 z28

wow you arent to bright are ya....
    wow, you dont know much about the car industry do ya.....
    i love your responses, i really do.

so ripe with complex reasoning and explanation.....

Pewter
    2000 z28

agree with the whole "history" thing behind the new gt500, but i beg to ask this question.... if it was more about history than anything else, then why, not even a year after the release of the gt500, is the king of the road coming out with 40 more horses to boot. every magazine article claims ford is taking aim at the z06. (not that magazines mean a lick of anything).

these comparisons are obvious because gm doesnt have their pony cars so they went ahead and gave the vette drastic power in the 05 model. the z06 got the power it did to make a statement within the industry that the buck stops here as far as 8 cylinders go. i would love to bring the viper into my argument but it is an 8.3 liter v10. not nearly in the same class, yet it still gets bested by the z06.

the ford gt, even if it gets beat in a straight line by the z06, is way more competition. i dont think it would get bested everytime, as those magazine editors IMO puss out when they have something expensive (which the gt clearly is). i could be wrong, but i think the slightest modification to the gt would make a race with a z06 alot more lopsided (pulley swap anyone?). take the gt into turns, i can guarantee its atleast on the z06's bumper.

the point im trying to make is, ford has alot more up their sleeve than everyone wants to believe, so does GM. they both want their share of the market. i completely believe that the gt500, while this may not be the sole intent, was pushed out to grab up alittle share of the c6 crowd. MOST people who buy the vette buy it to cruise, not to auto x or drag race. the gt500 will do just that and with supercharger whine. its the same with the italian cars....no ones is going to take their f1 to the drag strip, but you pay for the exclusivity and the knowledge that you could be the fastest car around if you just pushed on the gas pedal...

the z06, though it has many adversaries, has no direct competition. it is too fast for the viper, too fast for the gt500, and too fast for the ferraris and lamborghinins. but the people who buy italian supercars want much more than horsepower, they want sex appeal and flash....something that the gritty z06 and the heritage ripe gt500 cant offer them.

the more and more i think about ford the smarter i see them getting. they have the majority covered. stang gt for the pony car crowd and drag racers, gt500 for the avid cruiser and enthusiast, possibly weekend warrior, gt500kr, for the heavy wallet enthusiast/collector, and the gt for the upper echelon....

i personally would take a z06 over all, but thats an opinion...

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Z06 me!

That thing is drop dead gorgeous, and I drool over it and crack my neck everytime I see one on the street, more so than any Ferrari, except maybe an Enzo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information