Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camaro...

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

New Camaro...

Well, Nymphadora has been down for the past few months due to a combination of things (engine rebuild, fouled spark plugs, underdrive pulley not fitting properly, etc.), so I've been using a daily driver to get around. I just recently (Friday) got rid of my Mazda3 to my brother and bought a 2000 Grand Prix GTP 2D (Supercharged 3.8L V-6).

So, I was running errands this morning and came up on a red 2010 Camaro at a light (MD Rt-198, if you know the area). I don't yet know the differences in the body between the V-6s and the V-8s, so I assumed it was a V-8 (who in their right mind would buy a brand new V-6 Camaro, right?). So I'm sitting at this long-ass light and the guy driving the Camaro (probably late 20s, early 30s) rolls his window down and says, "Hey, want to race? I've only had this car for a week and haven't really opened it up yet." My first thought is, "why does this always happen when I'm not driving Nymphadora?" I say, "sure, but I'm going to loose, you easily have 150hp on me" (thinking it's a V-8). So, I do the usual cop check, it's clear, so I rev at him, and he revs back. OH MAN...it becomes clear it's a V-6...I start laughing.

The light turns green and I launch perfectly, no wheel spin or anything and the SC is just screaming (super sexy noise btw), he spins for about a second. By that time, I have about a car length on him...he never gets it back. I shut down at 110 with about 1.5 car lengths on him. We roll up to the next red light and I'm all grinning like a retard who just got his first bj, and he has his windows up and eyes forward with a defeated look on his face. I really wanted to talk to him in a parking lot and check out the interior, but he wouldn't even look at me. OH WELL

Mods to the GTP:
    - 3.4" SC Pulley
    - Headers
    - 3" Down Pipe
    - 4" CAI
    - 180* TStat

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The new 2010 Camaro V6 makes 304 HP and runs low 14's at ~100 mph. The new SS (V8) makes 426 HP (400 if an A6) and runs low 13's. There are very few visual differences between the two.

You likely ran a V6. They are quite potent for what they are.

Nice kill. Try an SS Camaro.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    The new 2010 Camaro V6 makes 304 HP and runs low 14's at ~100 mph. The new SS (V8) makes 426 HP (400 if an A6) and runs low 13's. There are very few visual differences between the two.

You likely ran a V6. They are quite potent for what they are.
    Yeah, I knew it was a V-6...it became very apparent to me when he rev'd the engine.

I think my victory was a combination of my car weighing 400lbs less and me launching better.

Red
    73 and 92 Camaro

The air duct in the front fascia is the number 1 give away...besides the SS badges...The SS has the slit in front of the hood and the V6 doesn't. Hey...What's wrong with the v6's? Mustang only wonders what they're doing wrong...lmao

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by My2nonLS1camaros View Post
    The air duct in the front fascia is the number 1 give away...besides the SS badges...The SS has the slit in front of the hood and the V6 doesn't. Hey...What's wrong with the v6's? Mustang only wonders what they're doing wrong...lmao
    1ss models do not have the duct/slit

Red
    73 and 92 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    1ss models do not have the duct/slit

Yeah they do. All the SS's have the slit.

Only the LT LS doesnt.

wish i had an ls1 or ls2
    1969 Cutlass

Anyone read new Car and Driver issue? Challenger vs Camaro vs Mustang... good read and not what i thought.

nice kill lol V6 Camaro FTL

Originally Posted by My2nonLS1camaros: "Mustang only wonders what they're doing wrong"
    Considering they've always outsold the Camaro, I doubt it..

Anyway, good kill. I bet your GTP pulls like a beast! How much boost you running?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fox1x View Post
    Considering they've always outsold the Camaro, I doubt it..

Anyway, good kill. I bet your GTP pulls like a beast! How much boost you running?
    Actually, I just intalled a Autometer Boost/Vac Gauge yesterday and had to test it out...about 8psi at WOT and peaking at 11psi right before shifting
    Last edited by ls1camino; 06-08-2009 at 01:36 AM.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Actually, I just intalled a Autometer Boost/Vac Gauge yesterday and had to test it out...about 8psi at WOT and peaking at 11psi right before shifting
    buddy of mine put a smaller pulley on his monte ss. woke it up pretty good actually

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    My first thought is, "why does this always happen when I'm not driving Nymphadora?"
    Nice kill dude, these sort of things happen a lot to me when my son is in the car. Especially with V6 Challengers. I've yet to come across these people when It's I'm by myself. I have to hear my son say, "wow daddy that car is going fast". Anyways, poor guy in the Camaro probably thought all he needed was 300 hp to be king of the road. Good job on the GTP, looks good and apparently can hold it's own.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jordanvb View Post
    Anyone read new Car and Driver issue? Challenger vs Camaro vs Mustang... good read and not what i thought.

nice kill lol V6 Camaro FTL
    Yeah, saw that crap article. Motor Trend wins this round at least. They compared the same 3 cars, but gave the nod (rightfully so) to the Camaro.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

Nice kill, not surprised you won though, you would be easy 13's at a track...I would love to run a new Camaro (V8 preferably lol)

I was also surprised that MT gave the Camaro a good rating, I can hardly believe it...

Edit: I hope you have a good tune on your GTP...what do you use to tune?

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Nice kill and nice car.
    I miss my GTP. Over here you hardly ever see any of them and the coupes are very hard to find.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Yeah they do. All the SS's have the slit.

Only the LT LS doesnt.
    +1

And LOL, you really hurt his pride, wouldn't even look at you LOL.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Nice kill

I thought I got super lucky yesterday, pulled up to a stoplight and a red new SS pulls up next to me. I'm like ooooohhh yeeeeaahh...looked over and saw an old lady on her cell phone...didn't even know I was alive....never felt so invisible in my life

Of course, she probably new I was there when I still went ahead and took off at the light like the punk kid she probably thinks I am now

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Magnetic
    2016 Shelby GT350

"Mustang only wonders what they're doing wrong..." What do you mean? Like selling thousands of new Mustangs while GM files bankruptcy at the same time their new V8 Camaro weighs almost 4,000 lbs., just like the overweight GT500.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

lets get one thing straight..v6s sell much more then v8s..without v6 camaro the SS would/will not be selling for very long ..i hate people that rag on v6s ..without them we wouldnt be driving our v8s

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    Nice kill, not surprised you won though, you would be easy 13's at a track...I would love to run a new Camaro (V8 preferably lol)

I was also surprised that MT gave the Camaro a good rating, I can hardly believe it...

Edit: I hope you have a good tune on your GTP...what do you use to tune?
    The previous owner said he ran a 13.5 the night before he sold me the car...he still had the track numbers on the windshield

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Nice kill and nice car.
    I miss my GTP. Over here you hardly ever see any of them and the coupes are very hard to find.
    Thank you, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    +1

And LOL, you really hurt his pride, wouldn't even look at you LOL.
    I have that effect on people..not the first time I've done it.

Thread Information