Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new 5.0

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

new 5.0

well went and took the girl out to a dinner and a movie. while leaving the movie a 5.0 backs out in front of me and heads the way i was going to go. i start getting anxious cuz i've been dying to run one. well i notice it has paper plates and looks real good, nbm and a blacked out berger panel. so i start to pass him and i put it in 4th at about 50 and just kinda hit it so he would know i was wantin some. he gets in my lane and follows under the bridge to get on the highway. well we drove about a mile with him following me about a car behind me so i didnt know what he was trying to do. well he starts to pass me and i start speedin up too and look down and were doing well over the limit and right when i get beside him he nails it and lets off, its on lol. i put in 4th at 80 but he slowed down to 70 so i put in 3rd and i blipped and he hits it so i played catch up not by much but easily real him and and kept going about 2 cars or a tad more by mid of 4th. so we slow down and he wants more and this has to be my favorite lol we were doing about 60 or so and i put in 3rd and he hits it and i wasnt ready but decided to go for it and hit it when he was about a car in front of me and he still pulling, i almost decided just to let out cuz it would be hard to make it up but i stayed in it and by the time i ended 4rd i was realing him in and grabbed 4th and just steadily walked by him and ended about a car in front. I give him a thumbs up and he waved to me but slowed down for another run lol. so wth not maybe we can honk it off so i had in 3rd at 65 and honked but he didnt budge so i hit it and let off and he hit it so we took off pretty close at the same time, held 4th for quite a bit but didnt max it out and had about 2 cars on him. he waved and so did i, real real proud of the runs couldnt have asked for anything better. sorry for the damn novel.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

here are my mods sorrry i didnt post them before
    2002 SOM Z/28 M6, Level 2 tick performance rebuilt tranny, ls7 clutch with drill mod, SLP lid, Smooth air bellow, P&P TB w/bump stop mod, TB bypass, amsoil air filter, 3.73 gears, Pro 5.0 w/lous short stick, msd super conductors, NGK TR-55 iridiums, SS long tubes, duals with x pipe 2 magnaflow bullets over axle with a frost mail order tune.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Damn I thought you were writing a book lol, new 5.0's pathetic

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

lol no doubt, i wouldnt say patchetic but i think peeps have hyped them up a lot and id like to see what one does to me a lil modded but after what me and u have experienced with stock ones i figured it would have been neck and neck

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea I'm gunna stick with pathetic lol, gotta love it, a decade old car whoopin up on fords newest sports car

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

lol atleast they have the gt500

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Lol they barely did something right, cowboys doin work!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What does the new, stock 5.0 do in the quarter mile ?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It runs 12.7-12.8

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

35th, is that the m6?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Seen it in GM High Performance magazine. I don't recall though if that was an auto or manual. I've seen some YouTube videos run about that too in stock form. Definitely quick for a stock car, but from some of the posts I've gathered from this site over the last few months they tend to be weak when it comes to roll racing. Either that, or people driving them don't know how to row the gears like they should be.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

for sure, after this i wasnt too impressed with all the hype of the new 5.0 to be honest i think a 5.0 vs ls3 m6 ss from a 65 would be dead even or ls pulliin slightly. it seemed the faster we got the more i pulled
    Last edited by 02sunsetorangeZ; 09-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I will probably be racing a GT500 soon. Friend's friend just got a new one and he wants to race. If it happens I'll be posting in the kill stories.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

sounds good, good luck! i had a 2011 behind me the other day and i decided to go towards the closest highway and he stayed close on me, i was considering running him and once he got in the fast light lightly accelerating and he was passing me i couldnt hear my car anymore which doesnt normally happen i decided not to even try. if it was 2v for sure but not that lol. good luck again and get some vids!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Let us know how you do with the Shelby.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm hoping to take him by about 2-3 cars.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think you will steadily pulll him

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Always nice to beat new pony cars. Much more so when it was/is aimed at bearting our cars. Too bad u didn't get the girl to video. Nice kill lil bro

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Nice runs and that sounds about right so good kill. But anyone who thinks the 5.0's are pathetic lives under a rock. While they are a tad over hyped they have gone mid 12's stock (the record is 12.3 on stock tires I believe) not to mention they routinely trap 109-111 consistantly idk of any fbody that could do that time and time again. Sure it happened but its not the norm. The 5.0 dynos around 365 stock with a stick and 345 with an aiuto and will put down 430 with bolt ons and trap around 116 with no trouble. So a lightly modded ls1> stock 5.0 but everyones dreaming if they think a bolt on ls1 will keep up with a bolt on 5.0. The 5.0's really arent that great from a roll though they really shine from a dig because of their insanely low gearing.. But ya i'd still take an ls3 over the 5.0 any day.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks aj, from all the hype they have been getting i wasnt impressed, plus all the problems they have been having, not even worth the 110 trap in stock form, ls3 ss would be my choice too, solid engine only thing you are fighting is weight. looks arent the best but can definitely look mean.

Thread Information