Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need More HP

Black
    2000 T/A Ram Air

Need More HP

Today i almost got spanked by a 67 camaro ss model or something close to that nature. It was an older guy who passed me on the highway and then slowed down to race. Before i knew it, he took off so i started to do the same. As i stepped on the gas for the first time ever being in this situation, my wife started telling me "NO!" She claims it was to save me from embarrassement. I realized when i stepped on the gas i couldn't catch him if i wanted to. My exit came up while he was slowing down again to race. I bought my T/A Ram Air about 2 months ago and love it as it is, but after today i am truly convinced i need to step it up a couple of notches. Basically, what do i need to do to step my game up? As far as i know, it is stock..................... (Need More HP) Also, it is an automatic
    Last edited by Colby; 03-16-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Well buddy dont feel bad. Getting beat by an older muscle car isnt that bad. More than likely its probably modded anyway. There is always someone faster somewhere. Alot of older cars are going to LSX or LTX conversions anyway, so you could have been running something with the same power plant as you.

Being that it was your first time in that situation it was prolly quite hectic with the wife sreaming and everything.

If you dont know alot about cars check around your area and find some who knows Fbodies and the LS1 so you dont get screwed over.

What I would do...or What I should have done
    1st thing to do is buy sub-frame connectors, they will save you alot of problems later.

2nd thing is an air lid, with a high flow filter

3rd exhaust --> long tubes and aftermarket exhaust like a true dual set up or cut outs

4th get it tuned
    after awhile it starts to get expensive

Autos arent as bad as most people want you to believe! Get a Stall!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26836

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

^
    Last edited by bgable; 03-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

how much do you want to spend and is the car auto or six speed?
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2000 T/A Ram Air

I guess i'm kind of open on the price range and as stated above, it is an automatic.........................

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

i think gettin beat by old school muscle is the only way to honorably get beat...id say exhaust and a lid would be numero uno

2010 Black Camaro SS

R.I.P.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 #5714
    326 rwhp
    347 ft lbs
    13.20 1/4

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

No shame in getting beat by a first gen. Those cars can be FAST.

Old school muscle is awesome. That's the way to go if you want a truly fast car.

Hehe, I bet the driver told all his graybeard friends about how he schooled the youngster.

Black
    1957 BelAir

I'm one of those graybearded guy who had a 68 SS camaro, and I thought there is no way an LS1 car could beat my 427 big Block car until I raced my buddies 98 Z28 WOW was I impressed. I had a lot of high performance parts and his had a few bolt ons. We were both running low 13's spinning like crazy. So you know what I did?????? I bought his car

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I got beat my a nova, that sucker was fast

artic white
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The first thing you need to do is,
    subframe connectors,
    stall convertor,
    373 gears.
    With just the stall and gears, you will feel you are driving a different car. The sfc's will save problems later. After these you will need drag radials.
    It goes on and on and on.

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Today i almost got spanked by a 67 camaro ss model or something close to that nature. It was an older guy who passed me on the highway and then slowed down to race. Before i knew it, he took off so i started to do the same. As i stepped on the gas for the first time ever being in this situation, my wife started telling me "NO!" She claims it was to save me from embarrassement. I realized when i stepped on the gas i couldn't catch him if i wanted to. My exit came up while he was slowing down again to race. I bought my T/A Ram Air about 2 months ago and love it as it is, but after today i am truly convinced i need to step it up a couple of notches. Basically, what do i need to do to step my game up? As far as i know, it is stock..................... (Need More HP) Also, it is an automatic

sounds like someone has been bit by the mod bug

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I guess i'm kind of open on the price range and as stated above, it is an automatic.........................
    aftermarket air lid=$100
    pacesetter headers and catless y pipe=$500 catback
    hooker catback=$300
    3000-3500 rpm stall, trans oil cooler and shift kits=$650 and up
    ecu tuning=$350

above will cost you about 1900.
    you will gain 40 or so rear whell h.p and shave off close to a second of e.t with above mods.

p.s youll also need some drag tires=$ around 300 a pair
    and sub frame connectors=150 or so.
    total above is 2350. now if you need all installed expect to pay about 3k total but youll be able to beat 95% of the cars out there.
    now if you really wanna fly and a cam kit installed for around 1300 or so.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Don't feel too bad about that loss. People who restore old muscle cars like that are going to drop an LSX in with at least a T-56 if not a built aftermarket trany, etc. The mod bug bites hardest after a loss though and most of us have endured that at least once.

While the subframe connectors are not a go fast "fun" mod, you will have the peace of mind that when you add power you will keep a straight frame (our unibody frames are flimsy). SFC's will improve your handling and also provide better quality ride. I got mine from WS6store.com

Next an aftermarket lid + K&N filter and a cat-back (I recommend Magnaflow 3").

That would be a good starting point. It's a lot more fun when your car sounds mean!

Check out LS1sounds.com for some header/catback combinations before you buy anything. Find a combo you like.

Welcome to the best LS1/F-body site on the net and congrats on your new toy!
    ---------------------------------
    I would like to nominate a new smiley: :Mod Bug:
    That bastard has made us spend a fortune so he at least deserves a smiley on LS1.com

Do I have a second?
    2000 A4 Z/28: 320RWHP / 335RWTQ
    1999 M6 Formula: K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster
    2007 A4 Grand Prix GXP: (Wife's Car) Bone Stock
    For details and pics visit my FQuick: www.fquick.com/Hoss2000Z28

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Don't feel too bad about that loss. People who restore old muscle cars like that are going to drop an LSX in with at least a T-56 if not a built aftermarket trany, etc. The mod bug bites hardest after a loss though and most of us have endured that at least once.

While the subframe connectors are not a go fast "fun" mod, you will have the peace of mind that when you add power you will keep a straight frame (our unibody frames are flimsy). SFC's will improve your handling and also provide better quality ride. I got mine from WS6store.com

That would be a good starting point. It's a lot more fun when your car sounds mean!

Check out LS1sounds.com for some header/catback combinations before you buy anything. Find a combo you like.

That bastard has made us spend a fortune so he at least deserves a smiley on LS1.com

Do I have a second?
    If you want to go fast for really cheap = NOS

+1 for Mod Bug Smiley

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post

Do I have a second?
    Uuuummmm, no we don't. Gotta watch out for the old geezers sometimes,,,lol.

My wife will tell you it's a sickness. The cars are never fast enough, and there is always someone faster. It never ends.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 12pack View Post
    I'm one of those graybearded guy who had a 68 SS camaro, and I thought there is no way an LS1 car could beat my 427 big Block car until I raced my buddies 98 Z28 WOW was I impressed. I had a lot of high performance parts and his had a few bolt ons. We were both running low 13's spinning like crazy. So you know what I did?????? I bought his car

haha, that's awesome!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Know how to choose your battles. There are tell tale tale signs of a fast car. Tires are usually a dead give away. Though I can't blame you for not wanting to back down.

If I had my dad's 99 SS (which I'll probably own soon if he gets a C6) I would have a lil happy gas in stow just for those special occasions. Happy modding....

For one
    Looking

The advantage of the 69 is that they can add as much power as they want. He could literally have a supercharged 800CID Donovan Block pushing well over 1000HP(though it would be pretty obvious, and likely would NOT be a daily driver... especially with today's gas prices...). Or he may have an all original 327. There are so many modifications he could do that you wouldn't be able to keep up with. Heck he might even have everything you have minus all the emissions crap and still be able to beat you. Don't feel bad about being beat by old school muscle. Unless it's a Ford(hehe j/k). There's really no telling what they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Uuuummmm, no we don't. Gotta watch out for the old geezers sometimes,,,lol.
    LOL
    There is nothing better than getting your ass handed to you by an old school 60s car. Hell, most guys in now-a-days wont even hop on it once!

Thread Information