Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Metallic Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

My Z28 against a V6 Firebird

Alright, let me start off by saying that I realize that this wasn't close to a fair race. I know this kid from work, and every day all he talks about is how slow my camaro is and how he knows all these folks with cars like eclipses and neons that will smoke me. I really could give a shit what he thinks about my car. So I'm on my way to work one morning at roughly 5:30 AM, I am sitting at a red light when I see his automatic V6 firebird pull up next to me. He looks over, and revs it, I kind of laugh and revved mine back. I must say his stock exhaust sounded humerous next to my LS1 with the SLP Loudmouth exhaust. So he peels out and I am just driving slightly faster than I normally do, letting him get slightly further ahead than me, about mid way in my second gear I put it down, but not floored. My back end goes sliding all over, then when I caught traction I completely blew his doors off. When we got to work he didn't say anything to me, and since hasn't tried to convince me that his buddies cars are faster and/or better than mine. I love it.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

He actually just sounds envious of your ride. Poor guy stuck in a girl's car, so have a little pity on him. He must really feel miserable now.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

I dont personally know anyone with a v6 maro or firebird, but i know that if i owned one i would wake up everyday feeling empty inside because my car was good looking but slow as balls. Unless i had a twin turbo v6 camaro then id drive around eating ls1's Muahha.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

My friend just got a '02 MiniCooper S. It's a M6 and because it's supercharged he thought he had my '00 Z28. We both hungout one night and took both cars out. I changed his mind REAL quick. I'd like to tell you more, but I'll probably just put up a new thread about it. But trust me, I know JUST how you feel man!

Light Metallic Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Hey, if you do decide to start a new thread about it, be sure to let me know. I would enjoy hearing that story!

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

haha
    Why get a v6 maro or bird?
    To Impersonate a car with real horse power?

NBM
    '00 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Black
    haha
    So often I have wondered the same thing.

Look, I understand if you're young, you're insurance rates suck as it is and all, but really, get the real deal or don't bother. Just my .02.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Black
    haha
    They make those cars for chics and guys who are in tune with their feminine side. Me? Buy a V6 mustang or Camaro? No way in HELL. Let me correct that, I wouldn't by a V6 anything cause they all sound like shit IMO, turboed or not.

What really pisses me off is guys who buy V6 ?muscle? cars, make them look just like an SS or Cobra, then get blown away by everything with a little HP. Those guys who outrun the "imitations" have no respect for the real deal. Until they meet with it, anyway.

If you get a Z28, keep it a Z28. If you get a GT, keep it a GT. If you get a V6, well, you just wasted your money, really.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    My friend just got a '02 MiniCooper S. It's a M6 and because it's supercharged he thought he had my '00 Z28. We both hungout one night and took both cars out. I changed his mind REAL quick. I'd like to tell you more, but I'll probably just put up a new thread about it. But trust me, I know JUST how you feel man!
    Are those things easily modded to be surprisingly fast? There is a Mini Cooper S around here with UBERTOAD on his license plate. I don't think it is stock. I would hate to underestimate that little car.

Black
    1995 Firebird

I bought a V6 Firebird... but I also bought a 2002 Firehawk LS1 and drivetrain for it The insurance company will never know

Light Metallic Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

So, if you wreck your firehawk you'll get the insurance money for the V6? But don't they have serial numbers? And even if they don't you'll get screwed out of how much money you'll get back if you do get into a wreck right?

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    Are those things easily modded to be surprisingly fast? There is a Mini Cooper S around here with UBERTOAD on his license plate. I don't think it is stock. I would hate to underestimate that little car.
    Well I've been researching parts for my friend. He's upto 168hp w/ his blower and they actually make a turbo to add onto his setup which will bring his car upto 250hp at the wheels. Don't be fooled, they're not light, they have a awesome crash rating and that'll slow em down some.

Hotrod
    Well I'll take exception to all the V-6 bashing cause mine would put a hurtin' on ya! Not to say it's faster than everyone else's cause trust me I had my a$$ handed to me plenty of times. But I also embarassed plenty of LS1's at the track when I open the hood and it's a V-6. Now yes you do have to spend A LOT of money to get it to this and most peolpe don't, but those V6's can hold their own. The V6's you guys are talking about are the owners that put a muffler on it and suddenly think it's a Vette! Here's my V-6, and yes it's fast but not saying it's the fastest. Just hate people making fun when I say it's a V-6!

2000 Chevy Camaro 3.8 liter V-6
    PaceSetter Headers
    Cold Air Intake
    K&N Filter
    QTP Electric Cutouts
    CarSound Catalytic Converter
    LSD
    3.73 Gears
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Heads
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Intake
    Comp Cam VS-Cam
    NGK-TR6 Plugs
    MSD Wires
    MSD Ignition
    Nitrous Express Wet Kit 150 Shot
    Nitrous Express Purge Kit
    MSD Window Switch

Pewter
    02' Z28 Vert

I had a v6 '89 Camaro with a five speed, loved it. I wish I had it now, just to be able to drive as a beater. Oh yea it had t-tops also. This is the car that made me want a muscle car again. It wasn't blazing fast but it wasn't no punk euther. My wife made me sell it but now she misses that car too. Oh well I'll get another v6 t-top maro sooneer or later.
    "02 Z28 vert pewter
    lid,smooth bellow, ram air, k&n, flowmaster
    hypertech tuner, TB bypass,shortie headers,Hotchkins STB

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm45
    I bought a V6 Firebird... but I also bought a 2002 Firehawk LS1 and drivetrain for it The insurance company will never know
    Now that is using your head. Turn that thing into a Firehawk, and I will be throwing the thumbs up, as long as the power is there before the look. But, you still can't claim it is a Firehawk though, you need the VIN. But, on the other hand, the insurance would go up. If it looks like a Firehawk, it should perform like one.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    Well I'll take exception to all the V-6 bashing cause mine would put a hurtin' on ya! Not to say it's faster than everyone else's cause trust me I had my a$$ handed to me plenty of times. But I also embarassed plenty of LS1's at the track when I open the hood and it's a V-6. Now yes you do have to spend A LOT of money to get it to this and most peolpe don't, but those V6's can hold their own. The V6's you guys are talking about are the owners that put a muffler on it and suddenly think it's a Vette! Here's my V-6, and yes it's fast but not saying it's the fastest. Just hate people making fun when I say it's a V-6!
    I have nothing against taking a V6 camaro and making it fast. If that V6 can outperform a Z28 or SS, then the badging would be worthy. It is the V6's that look like LS1's without the performance that gets my goat. I have no doubt there are V6 camaro's and mustang's out there who can outrun my 372 rwhp Z28.

Hotrod
    I know exactly what your saying! Trust me I wanted the SS but cuoldn't afford it at the time or the insurance. Once i cuold afford it I was so upside-down in the V6 I was screwed so I just messed with it instead. I had racing stripes painted on mine first and felt like an idiot for that week before going into the shop cause I'm driving this V6 with racing wheels and racing strips yet has a whopping 200 HP!!!

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKDOWN
    So, if you wreck your firehawk you'll get the insurance money for the V6? But don't they have serial numbers? And even if they don't you'll get screwed out of how much money you'll get back if you do get into a wreck right?
    Im not planning on driving it very often... and I figure if I do get in a wreck.. the drive train has a good chance of making it through so I will still have it. I am going to put more value on it than a V-6, but not nearly as much as a T/A. Guess its just a chance I am willing to take to have the car....

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem
    Now that is using your head. Turn that thing into a Firehawk, and I will be throwing the thumbs up, as long as the power is there before the look. But, you still can't claim it is a Firehawk though, you need the VIN. But, on the other hand, the insurance would go up. If it looks like a Firehawk, it should perform like one.
    I kind of screwed myself on the power before looks because I bought an LT1 and m6 for it, but I had nowhere to start building it, so I started on the body. It has a $5,000 paint job on it (that I traded work off for) C5 corvette rims, and I put the leather in it and a posi-trac. Then recently I tore down the LT1 and had it quoted to be stroked and bored and figured I could get an LS1 for cheaper than that. Then I ran across a salvaged Firehawk. 50,000 miles, front end is good, and rear bumper is salvagable. So my car will be a firehawk when Im done... just without the numbers

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

haha, mini's are fun to drive, its like driving a go-cart....lol...4 bangers.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by PureSpeed
    haha, mini's are fun to drive, its like driving a go-cart....lol...4 bangers.

Yeah, my boy has a hopped up 350Z, it just doesn't have that muscle car feel, then again it drives and handles real smooth, and is pretty quick. But when you punch it, four letter words don't start flying like they do in that bad fuckin Z28. That is raw power my friend.

Thread Information