Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Z28 against a V6 Firebird

This is a discussion on My Z28 against a V6 Firebird within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I have a 99 V6 Camaro and I love driving that car every day but I also have the SS ...

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

I have a 99 V6 Camaro and I love driving that car every day but I also have the SS in the garage if I need to go play with some power!

m0dular6480
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    Well I'll take exception to all the V-6 bashing cause mine would put a hurtin' on ya! Not to say it's faster than everyone else's cause trust me I had my a$$ handed to me plenty of times. But I also embarassed plenty of LS1's at the track when I open the hood and it's a V-6. Now yes you do have to spend A LOT of money to get it to this and most peolpe don't, but those V6's can hold their own. The V6's you guys are talking about are the owners that put a muffler on it and suddenly think it's a Vette! Here's my V-6, and yes it's fast but not saying it's the fastest. Just hate people making fun when I say it's a V-6!

2000 Chevy Camaro 3.8 liter V-6
    PaceSetter Headers
    Cold Air Intake
    K&N Filter
    QTP Electric Cutouts
    CarSound Catalytic Converter
    LSD
    3.73 Gears
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Heads
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Intake
    Comp Cam VS-Cam
    NGK-TR6 Plugs
    MSD Wires
    MSD Ignition
    Nitrous Express Wet Kit 150 Shot
    Nitrous Express Purge Kit
    MSD Window Switch

That's impressive for a V6. I never try to discourage someone from modifying a 6 cylinder if they have a good goal. I've seen guys in V6 Mustangs with a blower smoke some V8 Stangs.

Torrid Red
    04 GTO m6

A lot of them do think their fast, i have a 5 speed maxima and usually take down v6 stangs easily and stay within a car-car&1/2 with the GT's(not 05, depending on what year) its great when they get pissed from having a four door family car keep up so well. I have a question though, has anybody ever tried either putting the 3800 s/c engine instead of the standard 3.8, or just putting a blower on your 3800? smaller pulley, exhaust, intake and tuned shouldnt run too bad should it?

m0dular6480
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74
    A lot of them do think their fast, i have a 5 speed maxima and usually take down v6 stangs easily and stay within a car-car&1/2 with the GT's(not 05, depending on what year) its great when they get pissed from having a four door family car keep up so well. I have a question though, has anybody ever tried either putting the 3800 s/c engine instead of the standard 3.8, or just putting a blower on your 3800? smaller pulley, exhaust, intake and tuned shouldnt run too bad should it?

The Maxima (3.5 Liter) is a quick four door car, the only bad thing is, that there isn't as much as an aftermarket for them, not like the F-Bodies or Mustangs. Still, I'm sure that you could fit some 350Z aftermarket stuff on them. The other bad thing, is that the torque steer is horrible, the car wants to go halfway into the other lane when you take off full throttle. Still respect them though.

So none of ya'll would buy a modde Grand National??

Ain't nuthin wrong wit four bangers. If they are respectable. I mean I own an ls1 that is modded pretty good, but one of my buddies has a hatchback civic that ran 12.52@116 in the quarter mile on street tires. So don't ever say that 4 bangers are slow.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by perkdaddy08
    So none of ya'll would buy a modde Grand National??
    I would love to have a modded grand national. I would like to have one with a brand new LS7 crate motor in it, T56, and a Strange 12-bolt with 4.10 gears. :Yup:

Soon as a win the LOTTO!

Blue
    2000 Camaro

Sometimes you have to teach him old school

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I'd love to have a V6 Camaro as a daily driver. The in town gas mileage is worth it and the cars look great too. My Z/28 isn't special enough to be kept in the garrage though. If I got a SS or 35th special, I'd be reluctant to mod it and keep it numbers matching. Anyway, if I had a built V6 f-body it would be so much fun messing with LS1's, V8 Mustangs, etc. I'd put "V6" badges on the front quarters and be rolling on 295's in the back. They wouldn't know they were in trouble until they heard the turbo spooling! The V6 sounds stupid with an exhaust IMO so I'd want to use a super quiet but non restrictive cat-back.

LS1Fan74: You make a good point about the S/C 3800. My only experience with those motors is in the GTP/Impala SS setup which is FWD. However with Nissan getting 300+hp from a 3.5L V6 it seems reasonable that bigger gains could be had with the GM 3.8L in heads, tuning, etc. Plus a turbo kit could easily be fabbed up.

As far as building clones goes, I'd never condone that. There is no shame in owning a built V6, a Z/28 vs an SS so rebadging is not an option. My mantra is to simply build it better and faster than SLP did. I think the SS is rarer but once modding is added to the equation, they are no better.

The SS hoods look cool but there are so many other hood options out there! I've seen so many SS guys say, "if I didn't already have the SS hood I'd be all over that XYZ hood!" Which is why I have a VFN Sunoco hood on the way. The Z28 badges are staying on my car, always.

Rant over, have a nice day.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Wow, talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead. I have not posted in over a year and since I posted in this thread originally I have....

Totaled my LS1 which resulted in a helicopter ride to the trauma center and a 2 night stay and gone through a year of college driving a god damn Honda Civic.

Incredible how shit jumps right back into your lap. Oh, and in the year since the wreck I have thought everyday about how I miss that car. Good news is I should be able to get another within a year or so. I never stopped thinking about F bodies for one day.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I would love to have a modded grand national. I would like to have one with a brand new LS7 crate motor in it, T56, and a Strange 12-bolt with 4.10 gears. :Yup:

Soon as a win the LOTTO!
    why not just do that to a regal then?

12.718 @ 117.47

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

my old 3.8 firebird had nitrous and would eat lt1's all day but stock ls1s were a stretch and modded ones would trash me. you can make anything fast these days.

NBM
    98 trans am

i had a stock v6 firebird =(

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    Well I'll take exception to all the V-6 bashing cause mine would put a hurtin' on ya! Not to say it's faster than everyone else's cause trust me I had my a$$ handed to me plenty of times. But I also embarassed plenty of LS1's at the track when I open the hood and it's a V-6. Now yes you do have to spend A LOT of money to get it to this and most peolpe don't, but those V6's can hold their own. The V6's you guys are talking about are the owners that put a muffler on it and suddenly think it's a Vette! Here's my V-6, and yes it's fast but not saying it's the fastest. Just hate people making fun when I say it's a V-6!

2000 Chevy Camaro 3.8 liter V-6
    PaceSetter Headers
    Cold Air Intake
    K&N Filter
    QTP Electric Cutouts
    CarSound Catalytic Converter
    LSD
    3.73 Gears
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Heads
    ZZ Performance Stage 2 Intake
    Comp Cam VS-Cam
    NGK-TR6 Plugs
    MSD Wires
    MSD Ignition
    Nitrous Express Wet Kit 150 Shot
    Nitrous Express Purge Kit
    MSD Window Switch
    i have respect for that. there is a v6 with nitrous around here that thinks it's fast because it has nitrous. I can't wait for him to show up on a friday night so I can blister him

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

my v6 friends hate me

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

i own a stock v6 firebird, and ive given a couple people the buisness but they where fart canned hondas, but my goal this year, is find a decent job, and put a V8 in my driveway next year, i hope it to be iroc z28 with the 383 stroker, but ive seen some LT1's here for sale for about $3k-$4k so i figure save all checks and i might hope to have one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information