CookieMonster

My first real race with my c5! vs modded STi

First legitimate run in with anything worthwhile since I got the car in October.

I'm sitting at a light, waiting to turn left and I see a silver STi drive through going the way I'm going...My light changes and I catch up to the STi at the perfect racing spot...3/4 mile of straight 2 lane road with no driveways or other lanes getting in the way. I pull up and look over at the driver and it's my old friend! I havent seen him in months cause he goes to school in SoCal. He smiles, the light changes, and we both take off! His nose is at my passenger door up til about 60 and then I pulled maybe a car to 80mph where I let off cause we were catching up with traffic. He followed me to my house and we talked for a minute or 2 and he went on his way. He was just getting home from Thunderhill, where he'd been since Friday, so our race was the perfect cap to his weekend! Good fun, and I'm glad my car is slightly faster than a lightly modded STi

Oh, btw, his is an 05 and mods are borla exhaust, downpipe, and reflash...

on edit: all I have is a blackwing intake, and it's auto with the 3.15 ratio...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

or your friend can't drive for shit...

sti's launch will kill any rear-driven car, so he shoulda had YOU out of the hole until 60, then you woulda reeled him in.

CookieMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    or your friend can't drive for shit...

sti's launch will kill any rear-driven car, so he shoulda had YOU out of the hole until 60, then you woulda reeled him in.

apparently not...I had a great launch, he did as well, and like I said, we were neck and neck off the line.

and to say that awd will kill any rear-driven car is just plain stupid. I have more than a couple friends with rwd cars who cut consistent 1.7's at the track. What does a stock suspensioned STi cut? 1.9??

380awhp/tq
    EVO 8

I've seen several cut 1.6

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Who cares about the launch... Nice race man, even more awesome that it was your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster
    apparently not...I had a great launch, he did as well, and like I said, we were neck and neck off the line.
    Good kill. Anything can happen in a street race, and despite the STI's questionable launch... you still won though, and that's all that matters here.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

nice kill

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Good kill!

red/black
    98 T/A

good kill, my fiance wants an sti and God help me if she ever beats me...

CookieMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by youngun67
    good kill, my fiance wants an sti and God help me if she ever beats me...

They're awesome cars...my partner at work has one. It's bone stock and the thing still blows me away everytime I drive it. They handle soooo well. AWD + Turbo = FUN. I would love to have a WRX to tool around in. Rain or shine, doesnt matter, you'll have fun in it.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

They're awesome cars...my partner at work has one. It's bone stock and the thing still blows me away everytime I drive it. They handle soooo well. AWD + Turbo = FUN. I would love to have a WRX to tool around in. Rain or shine, doesnt matter, you'll have fun in it.
    Severe Turbo Lag + $35,000 = NO FUN

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    Good kill. Anything can happen in a street race, and despite the STI's questionable launch... you still won though, and that's all that matters here.
    Very true. Like stated before though, launches are STI strong points and when launched hard you get results similar to the stock times below....BTW, there is virtually NO turbo lag in an STI. It has a small low end/mid range turbo that spools very fast.

---- STI -- Viper ---Z06
    0-30 1.3 --- 1.8 --- 1.6
    0-40 2.2 --- 2.5 --- 2.3
    0-50 3.1 --- 3.1 --- 2.9
    0-60 4.5 --- 4.0 --- 3.8

1/4 mile 13.0 @ 103.5
    *Motor Trend 12/05
    Last edited by garrettjj; 01-18-2006 at 05:44 PM.
    95 Supra TT 420rwhp
    05 STI Stage2

Those numbers are honestly irrelevant though. When I first bought my Iroc way back when, it came equipped with the LB9 engine (305 TPI). Although it's quarter mile performance wasn't anything to get excited about, what was exciting, was it's uncanny ability to "jump" on the more powerful L98's...

No wheel spin, no drama, just a healthy amount of good ole torque planting itself firmly, and immediately, to the ground. The lack of the LB9's ability to breath (along with it's peanut cam) became apparent as it made it's way down the drag strip, but it surprised many a GSX in the 60ft after the suspension was tweaked slightly....

Too much power can be a burden to a good launch, but if Motor Trend went with "slicks" during that test, the results would have obviously been different. By the way, I never said the STI's succumbed to turbo lag....

Quote Originally Posted by garrettjj
    Very true. Like stated before though, launches are STI strong points and when launched hard you get results similar to this....BTW, there is virtually NO turbo lag in an STI. It has a small low end/mid range turbo.

---- STI -- Viper ---Z06
    0-30 1.3 --- 1.8 --- 1.6
    0-40 2.2 --- 2.5 --- 2.3
    0-50 3.1 --- 3.1 --- 2.9
    0-60 4.5 --- 4.0 --- 3.8

1/4 mile 13.0 @ 103.5
    *Motor Trend 12/05

Hi StreetL. They are relevant on the street though, where slicks most likely won't or can't be used and cold/dirty/rough roads may be a factor. Also comparing stock to stock as they come off the showroom floor. A 1/2 second difference by 30 mph against the Viper is quite a big chunk of time-a testament to the AWD launch and hp/tq. Of course after 60, the Viper makes up that time by the same 1/2 second and blows the STI into the weeds...A testament to the Vipers vastly superior Horsepower/Torque and less parasitic drivetrain loss.

Sorry, the lag was directed at another poster.

CookieMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Severe Turbo Lag + $35,000 = NO FUN

Apparently you havent driven one and/or do not like taking turns.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Congrats man!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Apparently you havent driven one and/or do not like taking turns.
    Apparently you haven't read my thread " '00 Z28 Vs. STi"...

2008 Caliber SRT 4
    1998 Z28/ 1993 Talon awd

and to say that awd will kill any rear-driven car is just plain stupid. I have more than a couple friends with rwd cars who cut consistent 1.7's at the track. What does a stock suspensioned STi cut? 1.9??

What stock suspensioned rwd with street tires does a 1.7 60ft time????

I've seen guys with street tires and stock suspension in talons and Evos pull 1.7 and 1.6 60ft times no problem. As for an STI, I have not seen one run at the track as of yet.

Thread Information