down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

My 01SS vs 99SS w/mods

So i meet this guy up at this typical ricer BS hangout place down here where I live. He has a 99 SS with headers and a catback and K&N FIPK CAE. We go from a 40 roll and I pull away from him slowly..just pulling and pulling and pulling.

Were both A4.

Not a very interesting story but all I have for mods is an SLP lid and my transmission is slipping a little bit

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

we did you both pick 40 roll if your both A4s?

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

yes sir

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

hutch when did you get a CBR600 dawg?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    So i meet this guy up at this typical ricer BS hangout place down here where I live. He has a 99 SS with headers and a catback and K&N FIPK CAE. We go from a 40 roll and I pull away from him slowly..just pulling and pulling and pulling.
    Were both A4.
    Not a very interesting story but all I have for mods is an SLP lid and my transmission is slipping a little bit
    I find that really surprising. We all know the 01+ LS1's put down awesome numbers stock but his mods should have equaled those power numbers. Its something I have always noticed at the track or closed streets*cough*. The pre 01+Ls1's really do not have that top end pull like the later models. I've raced a lot of ls1s, hell a few good friends have them! I've had my ass handed to me by the 01+ but never really ran into those pre-01's that people say run similar times.

I for one never understood why GM made soo many changes to the ls1 during those 5 years of production.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    I find that really surprising. We all know the 01+ LS1's put down awesome numbers stock but his mods should have equaled those power numbers. Its something I have always noticed at the track or closed streets*cough*. The pre 01+Ls1's really do not have that top end pull like the later models. I've raced a lot of ls1s, hell a few good friends have them! I've had my ass handed to me by the 01+ but never really ran into those pre-01's that people say run similar times.

I for one never understood why GM made soo many changes to the ls1 during those 5 years of production.
    I've owned two '98's and now an '02. They pretty much run the same quarter-mile times. Any gain between '98-00 and '01-02 is minimal.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    hutch when did you get a CBR600 dawg?
    I got it back in march of 07', didnt ride much at all last year after I snapped my collar bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    I've owned two '98's and now an '02. They pretty much run the same quarter-mile times. Any gain between '98-00 and '01-02 is minimal.
    Its odd than that the OP just pulled away.

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post

Don't the '01-02 come with LS6 intake manifold, !EGR, and some other things. That's still not enough to "pull and pull" on a the same car with equal mods.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Don't the '01-02 come with LS6 intake manifold, !EGR, and some other things. That's still not enough to "pull and pull" on a the same car with equal mods.
    well idk why you pulled and pulled from him but nice kill!
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Black
    2000 Z-28

If he was untuned maybe that'd explain why you pulled on him. Otherwise it seems he should have had enough w/ the full exhaust and intake to pull you.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

What i've found over the years is that - for the most part - no two cars run the same. I have raced other cars with basically the same parts as mine, but with completely different results. Even from a roll with A4's where neither traction nor shifting ability was an issue. Darn variables man...

Black
    2000 Z-28

What i've found over the years is that - for the most part - no two cars run the same. I have raced other cars with basically the same parts as mine, but with completely different results. Even from a roll with A4's where neither traction nor shifting ability was an issue. Darn variables man...
    Don't you think that would have more to do with the drivers than the cars though?

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Don't you think that would have more to do with the drivers than the cars though?
    Yes a lot of the time it does, but not always. Sometimes it could be that one car is not running up to it's full potential, which of course could be the result of many things.

Yes a lot of the time it does, but not always. Sometimes it could be that one car is not running up to it's full potential, which of course could be the result of many things.
    I'm thinking his car popped into VTEC. The other Camaro didn't have it so he got left.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I'm thinking his car popped into VTEC. The other Camaro didn't have it so he got left.
    That or the OP had more stickers or a bigger exhaust tip than the other guy! lol

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

teh you guys are funny.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

lol@ some of the responses here. Yeah it was puzzling to me as to why he didnt pull ahead either. I asked him if he had a tune and he said he didnt. I told him to go to xxx motorsports and get one from John...he shouldnt have any problem with me after that.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Being a 01, you have better heads and possiblily the LS6 block which people say doesn't really matter but it helps breathing at top end and revs faster which I have been told by engine pros. That and the LS6 intake, I can see why you pulled him, without a tune he is not getting full power out of the mods. If you were BONE stock, it may have made a difference.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Thread Information