Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

mustang gt owned

This is a discussion on mustang gt owned within the Kill Stories forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by mogs01gt get with the times an do some research. 300rwhp+ in a car that can weigh around ...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by mogs01gt View Post
    get with the times an do some research. 300rwhp+ in a car that can weigh around 3k pounds with a driver will run 11s all day long. Trap speed and top end wont be much. Power doesnt mean much when the car is getting 1.5 sixty foots.

Spend more time at drag strips instead of the net.
    more time at the strip.. haha funny one dude.. thats actually pretty funny..

i find it hard to believe though when im getting beat by 347 stroker h/c mustangs w/ a driver by only 5 or so lengths to 100.... just doesnt add up.. like previously.. 302 h/c. 347 h/c.. lets see here.. your talking about a 300hp car against a 400hp car.. weigh doesnt account for that much difference between the fox and ls1.. not saying they arent quick cars.. but... mod for mod.. no way in hell.. mid to low 12s..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    h/c/i.. running 11s.. i very much doubt that dude.. it takes a h/c/s ls1 to run 11s... ive only ran into one well built fox.. it was a 347 stroker h/c 5 speed.. he had tires.. and drilled me by about 4 outta the hole and then only pulled about 2 more.. i was bone stock.. and we were on the street.. so i spun.. a LOT... anyways... havnt seen that many fast foxes with STOCK engines w/ just h/c.. by fast i mean not in the 7s in the 1/8...
    88 Mustang
    Stock shortblock
    Stock, ported E7 heads
    Stock, ported intake
    Custom cam
    Headers, exhaust, etc
    Dynotune
    Slicks, gear, minor suspension mods

11.93 @ 111 mph. That was almost 11 years ago (most of ya'll were still in the sandbox at the time). Wanna take a stab at the RWHP to run that?

So ya, it can be and has been done, and that ET/MPH would be considered rather slow these days, for those that know what they are doing.

And FYI, an LS1 F-body can run 11's with just bolt-ons relatively easily.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    H/C/I 302 actual c.i. engine n/a beating LS1's ???
    Click for full size
    This is exactly what made that car so much fun! So many people couldn't accept it, which btw is the best compliment that can be given. My 302 ran 11.96 n/a. It trapped 112.9, which was good enough to embarrass LS1s (stock) from a roll, too.

Chris

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

you guys bicker like old ladies.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    This is exactly what made that car so much fun! So many people couldn't accept it, which btw is the best compliment that can be given. My 302 ran 11.96 n/a. It trapped 112.9, which was good enough to embarrass LS1s (stock) from a roll, too.

Chris
    i dont beleive that

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

a little far fetched.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Hmmmm....what is there not to believe, or that is far-fetched?

And this isn't bickering....its having fun.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Cool. You guys are making me feel good. Here's a cookie-cutter recipe for you if you want to try it out for yourself, lol:

1992 Mustang LX Hatch back:

Stock internal 302 shortblock (42,500 miles when I changed everything and 60k when I totaled it )

Engine:
    * Factory CNC'd AFR 165 emissions legal pedestal mount heads milled .024"
    * FMS B351 1.6 roller rockers
    * Cobra intake with lower ported by Ed Curtis
    * Custom cam from Ed Curtis
    * BBK 1 5/8" Long tube headers (dremeled the inner bead welds on the primaries and opened up the collectors to 2.5"), and H-pipe
    * Anderson motorsport CAI (no silencer)
    * ProM 75mm MAF (the "Bullet")
    * FMS 65mm TB
    * MSD 6A ignition
    * the red "performance" coil from NAPA (lol)
    * Flowmaster 2 chamber 40-series mufflers (loud, but sound good)
    * Underdrive pullies except on alternator (forget brand)

Cooling:
    * FMS 3 row aluminum radiator
    * Black magic electric fan
    * 185 degree T-stat

Fuel system:
    * Walbro GSS340 (255lph) in-tank pump
    * 24 lbs injectors @ 55 psi base (probably due to miscalibrated MAF)
    * BBK pressure regulator

Drivetrain:
    * FMS King Cobra clutch
    * Tremec TKO (old-school TKO) transmission
    * Pro 50 shifter
    * FMS aluminum drive shaft
    * FMS 4.10 gears
    * Moser 28 spline hardened axles
    * refreshed Limited slip: (steel-friction-steel-friction etc... instead of sfssfssf)
    * Weld drag lites w/ 10.5x 26" ET-Street

Suspension/chassis:
    * removed front sway bar
    * 4 cyl fox body springs
    * home-made subframe connectors

Weight savings:
    * dog-bone (12lbs)
    * A/C system (? - car was in NYC and it was removed before I purchased it)
    * aluminum vs. iron heads (~50 lbs)
    * spare and associated crap (32 lbs)
    * front sway bar (14 lbs)
    * 1/8 tank of gas
    * Car weighed 2976 lbs w/o driver

Car made 311 rwhp SAE on a 248C dynojet with the stock tranny - probably less through the TKO. The combination worked best with 55psi and 18* of timing, but had a stock chip. However, that was before the long-tubes, when it had mac shorties on instead. It was also before I bought the Anderson FMS power-pipe, and before Ed Curtis ported my lower Cobra intake. I'd bet after everything was said and done, it made an honest 320 rwhp, but I only dynoed it that one time.

I have to admit that my favorite race of all time with the car was my friend's 2002 1LE Camaro. We went from about a 40 or 50 mph roll and the first time that I ran him I was set to kill (low on fuel, lol). He had been talking shit about 5.0s and knew exactly what I had. He was so arrogant that he took a passenger and l couldn't talk him out of it. I literally ran away from car. Then we stopped at a gas-station and I filled up and took his 200+ lbs passenger and we raced again and I still pulled a couple of cars up to about 120 or so where I shut down because I do not like racing into 5th gear. Admittedly, in 5th gear he might have made up some ground. Afterwards, I personally watched him run a string of 13.3s and even ran a best of 13.1 with his car at Englishtown. Then he went out, I think because of me, and got a cam, headers, a tune, and spent several grand letting other people fix up his car. He showed me a dyno of just over 400 rwhp. I hurt his feelings again because I wouldn't run him from a roll, and told him I think I'd still whip his ass from a standing start through 1/4. And that's exactly what I did. It didn't prove anything except that traction is the key ingrediant to me, because his Nittos just didn't stand a chance against my ET-Streets. I hole-shotted him bad that try as he might, he couldn't catch me by the top of 4th, which is several hundred feet passed the end of 1/4 for me.

My best run was a high 1.5x 60' time and I always shifted as close to the 6250rpm stock rev limit as I could. If you want to do what I did, that combination cost me a total of about $6000. I bought most of those parts new, and did almost all of the work myself (not the rear-gears). Now, ask anyone in the know about 5.0s and I think they'd tell you that I had a really well-matched, yet very mild combination that is certainly capable of going better than I did. When I wrecked it, I was convinced I could go mid-11s (11.6-ish) if I could ever drive it right in ideal conditions.

BTW, that car was the coolest car I've ever had. I've gone overboard with my latest. The last combo was an incon twin-turbo H/I LX, and the new one is a Dart-blocked 76mm single turbo "world-killer" with way too much money invested in a car that I'll probably never find a single decent race with. Don't get me wrong, I love what I have and I'm proud of the car that I've put together, but I wish I could take all the time and money back and have my old combination again. It was simple, always underestimated, and found a lot of great competition anywhere I drove it.

Chris

PS. I'll bet after reading that, some of you guys will change your tune. Foxbodies will surprise the hell out of you unless you know what's under the hood and what they're capable of.
    Last edited by Chris Arnold; 03-14-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Cool. You guys are making me feel good. Here's a cookie-cutter recipe for you if you want to try it out for yourself, lol:

1992 Mustang LX Hatch back:

Stock internal 302 shortblock (42,500 miles when I changed everything and 60k when I totaled it )

Engine:
    * Factory CNC'd AFR 165 emissions legal pedestal mount heads milled .024"
    * FMS B351 1.6 roller rockers
    * Cobra intake with lower ported by Ed Curtis
    * Custom cam from Ed Curtis
    * BBK 1 5/8" Long tube headers (dremeled the inner bead welds on the primaries and opened up the collectors to 2.5"), and H-pipe
    * Anderson motorsport CAI (no silencer)
    * ProM 75mm MAF (the "Bullet")
    * FMS 65mm TB
    * MSD 6A ignition
    * the red "performance" coil from NAPA (lol)
    * Flowmaster 2 chamber 40-series mufflers (loud, but sound good)
    * Underdrive pullies except on alternator (forget brand)

Cooling:
    * FMS 3 row aluminum radiator
    * Black magic electric fan
    * 185 degree T-stat

Fuel system:
    * Walbro GSS340 (255lph) in-tank pump
    * 24 lbs injectors @ 55 psi base (probably due to miscalibrated MAF)
    * BBK pressure regulator

Drivetrain:
    * FMS King Cobra clutch
    * Tremec TKO (old-school TKO) transmission
    * Pro 50 shifter
    * FMS aluminum drive shaft
    * FMS 4.10 gears
    * Moser 28 spline hardened axles
    * refreshed Limited slip: (steel-friction-steel-friction etc... instead of sfssfssf)
    * Weld drag lites w/ 10.5x 26" ET-Street

Suspension/chassis:
    * removed front sway bar
    * 4 cyl fox body springs
    * home-made subframe connectors

Weight savings:
    * dog-bone (12lbs)
    * A/C system (? - car was in NYC and it was removed before I purchased it)
    * aluminum vs. iron heads (~50 lbs)
    * spare and associated crap (32 lbs)
    * front sway bar (14 lbs)
    * 1/8 tank of gas
    * Car weighed 2976 lbs w/o driver

Car made 311 rwhp SAE on a 248C dynojet with the stock tranny - probably less through the TKO. The combination worked best with 55psi and 18* of timing, but had a stock chip. However, that was before the long-tubes, when it had mac shorties on instead. It was also before I bought the Anderson FMS power-pipe, and before Ed Curtis ported my lower Cobra intake. I'd bet after everything was said and done, it made an honest 320 rwhp, but I only dynoed it that one time.

I have to admit that my favorite race of all time with the car was my friend's 2002 1LE Camaro. We went from about a 40 or 50 mph roll and the first time that I ran him I was set to kill (low on fuel, lol). He had been talking shit about 5.0s and knew exactly what I had. He was so arrogant that he took a passenger and l couldn't talk him out of it. I literally ran away from car. Then we stopped at a gas-station and I filled up and took his 200+ lbs passenger and we raced again and I still pulled a couple of cars up to about 120 or so where I shut down because I do not like racing into 5th gear. Admittedly, in 5th gear he might have made up some ground. Afterwards, I personally watched him run a string of 13.3s and even ran a best of 13.1 with his car at Englishtown. Then he went out, I think because of me, and got a cam, headers, a tune, and spent several grand letting other people fix up his car. He showed me a dyno of just over 400 rwhp. I hurt his feelings again because I wouldn't run him from a roll, and told him I think I'd still whip his ass from a standing start through 1/4. And that's exactly what I did. It didn't prove anything except that traction is the key ingrediant to me, because his Nittos just didn't stand a chance against my ET-Streets. I hole-shotted him bad that try as he might, he couldn't catch me by the top of 4th, which is several hundred feet passed the end of 1/4 for me.

My best run was a high 1.5x 60' time and I always shifted as close to the 6250rpm stock rev limit as I could. If you want to do what I did, that combination cost me a total of about $6000. I bought most of those parts new, and did almost all of the work myself (not the rear-gears). Now, ask anyone in the know about 5.0s and I think they'd tell you that I had a really well-matched, yet very mild combination that is certainly capable of going better than I did. When I wrecked it, I was convinced I could go mid-11s (11.6-ish) if I could ever drive it right in ideal conditions.

BTW, that car was the coolest car I've ever had. I've gone overboard with my latest. The last combo was an incon twin-turbo H/I LX, and the new one is a Dart-blocked 76mm single turbo "world-killer" with way too much money invested in a car that I'll probably never find a single decent race with. Don't get me wrong, I love what I have and I'm proud of the car that I've put together, but I wish I could take all the time and money back and have my old combination again. It was simple, always underestimated, and found a lot of great competition anywhere I drove it.

Chris

PS. I'll bet after reading that, some of you guys will change your tune. Foxbodies will surprise the hell out of you unless you know what's under the hood and what they're capable of.
    i had nearly the same set up but in a 93 GT. had TFS heads, track heat intake and e303 w/ 1.7's. Put down about 315rwhp and would walk away from stockish LS1 fbody's. It was a little more fun to race in than the cobra and more people would try to race me. Its amazing how many fbody's try to pick on a 5.0 because they think they have an easy kill, but they will hardly look over at the cobra when im next to them.

I dont rev up on them tho and pick on them like they used to to me.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Damn, that is exceptional output for that cam and those heads. You don't usually see more than about 290.

I know exactly what you mean with the stang. Not too many actually try to instigate a race when I'm in the vette, but in the stang it's ridiculous. People in pick-ups try to start shit. And, it's always been that way, from stock to roll-caged. What gives?

*sigh* I really think that modification to the extreme has taken the fun out of the occasional street encounter. Unless the car has a cage in it, I'm almost never interested. Crotch rockets are cool, though! I miss that old car and the good races that I so often had with it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I belive in mustangs especially the foxes.
    Im not a huge fan of foxes but I would love to have me a nice LX coupe with a nice set of rims. Thats the only time i think they look sexy and of course build up the motor

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

you guys are comparing apples to oranges. you can make anything have power if you dump enough money into it. and to make only 311 rwhp after all that crap you did to that fox is not to impressive to me. how much money did it take for you to get that 311hp? now take that money put it into an ls1 and see what you have. shit we damn near start out with the rwhp that you were making stock.

on another note i've read some builds on 305's that were turning 325hp. thats pretty comparable to that 302. and if i remember correctly they built it on a budget. i'll give you the weight thing though, 311rwhp in a car that weighs less than 3000 lbs, has got to be quick.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

When I made that 11.93 pass linked above, I was only making ~287 RWHP. When my 99 Cobra was going 11.6s with bolt-ons, it only made 314 RWHP. But who cares? Dyno numbers are for dyno racers (a dyno is a tuning tool, not an internet penis). I don't race on the dyno. If you do - congratulations. You win.

Outside of NHRA Stock Eliminator class racers, virtually nobody seriously builds a 305. It simply isn't worth the effort, especially given that a 350 had the exact same external dimensions, and shared many common parts.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    When I made that 11.93 pass linked above, I was only making ~287 RWHP. When my 99 Cobra was going 11.6s with bolt-ons, it only made 314 RWHP. But who cares? Dyno numbers are for dyno racers (a dyno is a tuning tool, not an internet penis). I don't race on the dyno. If you do - congratulations. You win.

Outside of NHRA Stock Eliminator class racers, virtually nobody seriously builds a 305. It simply isn't worth the effort, especially given that a 350 had the exact same external dimensions, and shared many common parts.
    i know that a 305 is not practicle to build. i was simply stating i was not impressed with 287-314rwhp from a 302 because you could build a 305 to have that kind of power too. a 302 is not even close to being in the same class as an ls1.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

You pony guys kill me when you post a whole story of mods, and at the the end it reads...3xx at the rear-wheels...LOL. That's why I got rid of my fox back in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    Its amazing how many fbody's try to pick on a 5.0 because they think they have an easy kill, but they will hardly look over at the cobra when im next to them.

I dont rev up on them tho and pick on them like they used to to me.
    It would be the highlight of my day to pull up next to you...finally, a real run
    97 Z28 1LE #53 11.08/122.84 N/A, 9.82/131.06 150-shot

02 WS6 M6, STOCK H/C/I, 3189 lbs., 11.77/113.02 (1.59 60')

08 Mercedez C63 AMG, FOR SALE!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/2008-mercedez-c63-amg-108586/

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    88 Mustang
    Stock shortblock
    Stock, ported E7 heads
    Stock, ported intake
    Custom cam
    Headers, exhaust, etc
    Dynotune
    Slicks, gear, minor suspension mods
    11.93 @ 111 mph. That was almost 11 years ago (most of ya'll were still in the sandbox at the time). Wanna take a stab at the RWHP to run that?
    So ya, it can be and has been done, and that ET/MPH would be considered rather slow these days, for those that know what they are doing.
    And FYI, an LS1 F-body can run 11's with just bolt-ons relatively easily.
    LOL nice one man. I love it when morons dont know anything about cars or the car they say they put bus lengths on......

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

i never said that they werent capable.. and im sure you guys knew what you were doing.. what im TRYING to get to you is for the most part people in my area.... from my experience cant get into the the 11s with a H/C fox..... i know it can be done.. but no its not SIMPLE.. 11s arent simple or cheap in any car... (that we would be talking about).. i got drug by one when i was stock.. im saying from what ive seen they dont respond too well.. not like an ls1 at least and they arent as simple as some cars to build.. but OTHER THAN THAT... YES they can be built and probably run 10s n/a.. im sure of it.. but not in my area.. or not the ones ive seen.. so to stop this ridiculous stuff.. YES FOXES CAN RUN 10S N/A!!!!!!! AND 11S RELATIVELY EASY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i never said that they werent capable.. and im sure you guys knew what you were doing.. what im TRYING to get to you is for the most part people in my area.... from my experience cant get into the the 11s with a H/C fox..... i know it can be done.. but no its not SIMPLE.. 11s arent simple or cheap in any car... (that we would be talking about).. i got drug by one when i was stock.. im saying from what ive seen they dont respond too well.. not like an ls1 at least and they arent as simple as some cars to build.. but OTHER THAN THAT... YES they can be built and probably run 10s n/a.. im sure of it.. but not in my area.. or not the ones ive seen.. so to stop this ridiculous stuff.. YES FOXES CAN RUN 10S N/A!!!!!!! AND 11S RELATIVELY EASY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING
    I honestly wouldn't waste my time if I were you trying to prove those guys wrong. Foxbody guys are always saying what their cars did...and/or can do, but the reality is, and always has been, that the majority of guys with heads/cam stock-stroke 5-0 setups will run in the 13 to 12-second range on average. Yeah 11's are possible, just like 11's in a bolt-on only LT1 (Herron Performance) is possible, but a long shot. Call B.S. if you wan't, but it's reality.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    you guys are comparing apples to oranges. you can make anything have power if you dump enough money into it. and to make only 311 rwhp after all that crap you did to that fox is not to impressive to me. how much money did it take for you to get that 311hp? now take that money put it into an ls1 and see what you have. shit we damn near start out with the rwhp that you were making stock.
    your logic is retarded. if we used your logic, why would anyone mod an LS1, why not start with an 03 cobra. most stock 03's are making what full bolt on fbody's are making stock,,even some cammed ones.

btw, the engine mods were rougly $2000-$2500. you can do those engine mods + the price of the car and still be cheaper than most fbodies. im not saying its better, but get your car off the damn pedestal you keep putting it on.

12.718 @ 117.47

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    most stock 03's are making what full bolt on fbody's are making stock,even some cammed ones.
    Not tryin' to be a dick TrickStang, but I don't think that is nothing to be proud of at all. It took the finesse of supercharging to equal the oppositions bolt-on power output. Not very good in my opinion.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information